Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    A lot of blind hate and blind love for the iPhone. Its obvious to me who the Apple fans are and those that don't have any particular allegiance.

You can't tell how bad it is, but you can't tell how good it is either. No doubt that it'll sell, but it won't be killing any of the current smartphones on the market, as they go after different things.

Oh, and try browsing "real" websites using EDGE. People are complaining that Palm doesn't include wifi, but its ok for the iPhone to come with EDGE in a $600 device?

But it will move innovation forward I hope - maybe we'll see some more from Colligan since he probably was shocked by this announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    A lot of blind hate and blind love for the iPhone. Its obvious to me who the Apple fans are and those that don't have any particular allegiance.

You can't tell how bad it is, but you can't tell how good it is either. No doubt that it'll sell, but it won't be killing any of the current smartphones on the market, as they go after different things.

Oh, and try browsing "real" websites using EDGE. People are complaining that Palm doesn't include wifi, but its ok for the iPhone to come with EDGE in a $600 device?

But it will move innovation forward I hope - maybe we'll see some more from Colligan since he probably was shocked by this announcement.
    I can see where you are coming from. I am definitely an Apple fan. But, I am more of a technology fan. I have a 680, E62, and a HTC s620. I am waaaay more excited about the iphone than any of my other phones. But, not just for the Apple name. I would be just as excited if Microsoft made it, assuming it would sync with my mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    ..........The future is now ladies and gentlemen. It's good to see Apple inject some excitement into a market that has grown stagnant and complacent for lack of "real" competition.
    ...arrogant, stagnant, and complacent....
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/14/2007 at 06:30 PM.
    Biggest seller on Treo for me is Slingmobile. Nuff said!
    Palm Treo 700W with Verizon PDATP Plan.

Palm Treo 700WX w/ SERO plan

Love both
    Quote Originally Posted by nospleen View Post
    I am waaaay more excited about the iphone than any of my other phones. But, not just for the Apple name. I would be just as excited if Microsoft made it, assuming it would sync with my mac.
    True! It's just a bonus that it's from Apple, because of the implied quality control that's gone into it.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    A 480x320 pixel touchscreen, wifi, bluetooth, PIM apps, browser, iPod, etc... device isn't a PDA? Right....
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat
    The device is definitely a pda.
    Word processing, spreadsheet, playing games, installing software, video recording, memory cards and ability for GPS are some key ingredients for a true PDA.

Not saying the iPhone won't have those in 6 months (or eventually), but the above listed is currently not supported to our knowledge. I mean as of now it can't even view a Word document.

Simple PIM sync without OTA ability, email and web browsing are close but most high end phones do that now.

And since people are big fans around TC of the CNP wiki argument... ...

PDAs are often used to access data where using a desktop or laptop PC is inappropriate. Although their size restricts their functionality, many users find that they are adequate for what you expect to do when away from a PC
    I do not think the iPhone currently meets that defintion, unless you just view your PC/Mac as a glorified video and music player that can act as a phone.

That's always been the notion of PDA for me: is it a close replacement for a laptop in terms of functionality? Can I do FTP? Can I do NNTP? Remote Admin? Download and run files? Connect up external devices? Act as a USB host? Even download Bit Torrents, Etc...

I'm not saying all people need to do that but that's how I've understood PDAs.

The iPhone is very far from that which is not to say it won't be a great entertainment phone with run-of-the-mill PIM functions, which I'm sure it will be. But if that's all you use your Treo for then I think you were never using these PDA/smartphone devices to their fullest potential, which is your prerogative.

And Littlepat: I highly doubt you'll see any Slinbgox for the iPhone since you could only possibly use it over Wifi and not EDGE. Wifi is a great option but it will never replace your default phone data system.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/15/2007 at 01:39 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52 View Post
    IMAP is not push email. IMAP is a protocol that syncs server side email folders and folders on your local email client. Nothing with IMAP has anything to do with push email.
    Actually, you are incorrect. IMAP does support push email via a specification called IDLE. You can look it up here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2177

Quote Originally Posted by moppet52 View Post
    Not trying to be mean, just correcting an assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ....And Littlepat: I highly doubt you'll see any Slinbgox for the iPhone since you could only possibly use it over Wifi and not EDGE. Wifi is a great option but it will never replace your default phone data system.
    Without questioning your conclusion, I have run Slingbox across EDGE/PDAnet/Treo to my PC. It works fairly well, especially in the wee small hours when the "chatty cathys" are asleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Without questioning your conclusion, I have run Slingbox across EDGE/PDAnet/Treo to my PC. It works fairly well, especially in the wee small hours when the "chatty cathys" are asleep.
    I tried to stream slingbox on EDGE speeds and the results weren't pretty. Even later at night when speeds were a bit better. Constant buffering, slowdowns, artifacts galore just led to an unpleasant, unwatchable experience.
    no doubt it could be done on EDGE speeds but the quality if far below what it should be (Sling recommend a 250kbps or greater connection).

I'm assuming Apple will allow Sling (commission them to adapt their player) probably in due time when Apple thinks it meets their standards, which are pretty high. I could definitely see it for their 3g version.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    apple will make an app that somehow works with Apple TV
    have not decided whether to keep the 750c or not (still within the 30 day period). the pearl does a magnificent job. i suppose if i'm looking for a fun, secondary device, the iphone just might be it. at least it's much more thin than anything Treo at the moment.....bigger and better screen too!

Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    The iphone more like a PSP with a gsm phone built-in.

Apple sexed it up, slimmed it out, and put in a touchscreen.

I still say:

- EDGE is sucky...to release a device in 2007 that is not 3G is super lame
    - Non-removable battery - super weak
    - 8gb too low (for a $600 mp3/avc player)
    - One drop and it's crack city.
    - Non-extensible (load you own apps) - typical closed Apple mindset (if we didn't make it, it sucks)

I've heard grumbling from the Apple fans that 8gb is too low...they see it as ipod first, phone second...and they want more space.

I am sure it will sell a bunch...but for $3,000, that's a spicy meatball.

Still, it looks great, and I hope it pushes others to make better devices.
    $3000? They have said prices of $499 and $599.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post

I still say:

- Non-extensible (load you own apps) - typical closed Apple mindset (if we didn't make it, it sucks)

I've heard grumbling from the Apple fans that 8gb is too low...they see it as ipod first, phone second...and they want more space.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    pda= personal digital assistant. The argument can me made than any device that has a calendar and phonebook is a "pda," however the real argument is whether or not the phone will fit your needs. PDA, SMARTPHONE, you can call it whatever name you want, SUITING YOUR NEEDS is the real question. And I personally think a treo suits more of my needs than the Iphone does (FROM WHAT I KNOW RIGHT NOW, relax).

I don't think we'll see a slingbox either, which is why I brought it up. No slingbox = no Iphone for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    pda= personal digital assistant. The argument can me made than any device that has a calendar and phonebook is a "pda," however the real argument is whether or not the phone will fit your needs. PDA, SMARTPHONE, you can call it whatever name you want, SUITING YOUR NEEDS is the real question. And I personally think a treo suits more of my needs than the Iphone does (FROM WHAT I KNOW RIGHT NOW, relax).

I don't think we'll see a slingbox either, which is why I brought it up. No slingbox = no Iphone for me.
    I have a slingbox. What I do not have is a POS/UMTS phone to run it over. Palm supports POS and WM, GSM and CDMA. However, the phones for POS and GSM do not measure up to those for CDMA and WM. Palm has lots of excuses for that but the last time Palm's products gave an edge to GSM was the Treo 270. Oh, I forgot, that was Handspring. GSM has always suffered under Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post

I still say:

I think you missed the point. It is GSM and it is not WM. Where I grew up, we call the rest lagniappe.
    I have a slingbox. What I do not have is a POS/UMTS phone to run it over. Palm supports POS and WM, GSM and CDMA. However, the phones for POS and GSM do not measure up to those for CDMA and WM. Palm has lots of excuses for that but the last time Palm's products gave an edge to GSM was the Treo 270. Oh, I forgot, that was Handspring. GSM has always suffered under Palm.
    POS can't support high speed data on GSM, and probably won't be able to handle EVDO Rev. A. without significant (and probably really buggy) changes. Blame it on the ancient OS.
    Exactly, which is why I made this post over in the iphone thread at the same time as you were writing this:

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I totally agree, but remember that EDGE and BLAZER came out like 4 years ago, maybe more.

That's how far behind the Palm Operating System is. Flip phones can use 3G, and ALP's OS cannot. So embarassing. (Can't blame Palm for that one, it hasn't been their operating system for a few years now. They just build phones to run it). Even if they advance the OS to use it (since they recently reaquired it), that is going to take a LONG time
    I really feel bad for you POS users that are GSM subscribers...
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    POS can't support high speed data on GSM, and probably won't be able to handle EVDO Rev. A. without significant (and probably really buggy) changes. Blame it on the ancient OS.
    Palm has had four years to solve that problem. Whole operating systems have been written from scratch in less time.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast