Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 142
  1. #61  
    Apple has said no third party. Although they did hint that they may offer software and that software may or may not be written by them.

    I think they are really concerned that they want a stable high-quality phone and they want to prevent buggy third party software from being installed (I've definitely seen that on the 750v). I suspect they will have something that if a third-party wants to meet Apple's testing requirement, then Apple will make it available. But I wouldn't count on that right away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    The device is definitely a pda. And I do like it, but the 3G thing is killer and I would like to be able to use my slingbox with it. And orb (which I'm sure will support it soon after release). Is it really CONFIRMED thgat you cannot use 3rd party apps on it? I find that hard to believe.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  2. #62  
    Yeah, I've heard the same thing. Software will only be available from Apple, but the apps may not all be written by them.

    I also heard that Apple only wants to maintain one version of the iPhone which will be GSM only. So basically screw the idea of a VZW or Sprint version.
  3. #63  
    Thats great news its only going to be gsm.Sprints wimax will be strong next year and we need a better device then the iphone
  4. #64  
    this iPhone is nothign but a kids toy. As an ER nurse, i use my treo to pull up emergency drug information/ trauma protocols/ procedures/ diagnosis and tons more. I use over 5 different programs that make my job easier and help improve the quality of care for sick and/or dying patients. this silly little toy plays mp3's like an ipod? whoopdie doo... It doesnt have support for external applications. Whats the point? Its pretty much a glorified sidekick as offered from tmobile. Sure it has cute little touch screen and such, but it has no practical use for business, medicine, or any other profession. If you want a nice toy to listen to music, chat, check your email, and follow the apple trend, then iPhone is for you. As a professional "tool", its worthless. the end.
  5. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Sorry, I'm not a teenager. And for using a spreadsheet they have this amazing invention called a laptop. Works worlds better than a dinky 240x240 pixel screen for a spreadsheet. Try it sometime.

    I don't expect to hold my laptop to my ear to make a phone call. And I don't expect to use spreadsheets on a tiny 2" screen. Saying one phone is better than another for using spreadsheets is pretty silly to me.
    That is very well said. I have had Docs to go on my Treo 650, 680, and now the native Excel on the Treo 750, and I've only played with it once. I even do presentations all the time and I rarely use the PowerPoint equivalent because as you put it..... I HAVE A LAPTOP for that stuff.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos View Post
    That is very well said. I have had Docs to go on my Treo 650, 680, and now the native Excel on the Treo 750, and I've only played with it once. I even do presentations all the time and I rarely use the PowerPoint equivalent because as you put it..... I HAVE A LAPTOP for that stuff.
    Yes, and if you wanted an organizer you would have gotten a real PDA, instead of a smartphone. And if you wanted music in your car you would have gotten a Hi-Fi, instead of a car stereo. And if you wanted a GPS device you would have gotten a Garmin, instead of TomTom software. And if you wanted music you would have gotten a real Ipod, instead of the Iphony. And if you wanted video you would have gotten a TV, instead of a video Ipod.

    Other people have moved into the 21st century however.

    Surur
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    why the hell do you need external memory cards with 4g or 8g standard?? there are no cards bigger. and the way apple updates things, once you could have bigger memory cards, they will release the 12 g & 20 g iphone. I actually overlooked the no ms documents support. I would think they would add this later because this is pretty standard for any pda.
    Most ppl have over * GB of music..I keep my whole collection on y iPod..it'll be a b*gger having to change the content when my listening mood changes..plus if you want to use the productivity part of the phone (despite it shortcomings) that's less spacce for movies/music...right now in addition to internal memory and programs no bigger than a few hundred KB, ppl can alreaddy use 8 GB SDHC cards with treos (680 at least) and buy each at less than $100 US..
    By the time apple increase to 16 GB (they like to move up in multiples of twos i notice) the 32 GB SHDC cards will probably be selling already.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Sorry, I'm not a teenager. And for using a spreadsheet they have this amazing invention called a laptop. Works worlds better than a dinky 240x240 pixel screen for a spreadsheet. Try it sometime.

    I don't expect to hold my laptop to my ear to make a phone call. And I don't expect to use spreadsheets on a tiny 2" screen. Saying one phone is better than another for using spreadsheets is pretty silly to me.

    Umm..so if the primary aim is to make a call witht he iPhone and not the smartphone uses Jobs touted why spend $600 plus 2 yr contract?

    Ppl who use their laptops often (like me) and still buy the iPhone are thus probably buying it just for the cutting-edge gloss..glad you can and power to you, but I'll wait until it costs the same as a separate 5G iPod and GSM phone i.e. $400 tops for 8GB music/video/phone with no contract & unlocked!

    Edit: I've said it before and no offense to Apple as a LOVE their computers 9getting a Mac at work soon to add to the toehrs there alreaddy), but this will be useful for say jogging, running, boating (not driving with no keys) when you want music and may get an emergency call or something...practically it's not better (and actually worse) than some phones out for 2 yrs already..and at that price, with contractual obligations and being locked into a single network... it's not a serious contender here..also what of data security?
    Last edited by bruckwine; 01/13/2007 at 10:10 AM.
  8. #68  
    I agree this is a Fisher Price phone. Look at the big picture, look at the functions.
  9. #69  
    If it doesn't work for you, fine. But that doesn't make it a kids toy.

    Seriously, a bunch of you seem to have serious issues. You just can't accept some people have other priorities? I'm a professional also, but my phone is MY phone. Not my work phone. For personal needs I think this is great. They aren't trying to sell phones to people in ERs. What on earth makes you think they are?

    Geez, it's a high end consumer phone. Anyone who can't figure that out is kidding themselves. But that doesn't make it a toy, doesn't make it useless, and they are going to bury the Treo in sales numbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by ertony View Post
    this iPhone is nothign but a kids toy. As an ER nurse, i use my treo to pull up emergency drug information/ trauma protocols/ procedures/ diagnosis and tons more. I use over 5 different programs that make my job easier and help improve the quality of care for sick and/or dying patients. this silly little toy plays mp3's like an ipod? whoopdie doo... It doesnt have support for external applications. Whats the point? Its pretty much a glorified sidekick as offered from tmobile. Sure it has cute little touch screen and such, but it has no practical use for business, medicine, or any other profession. If you want a nice toy to listen to music, chat, check your email, and follow the apple trend, then iPhone is for you. As a professional "tool", its worthless. the end.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    If it doesn't work for you, fine. But that doesn't make it a kids toy.

    Seriously, a bunch of you seem to have serious issues. You just can't accept some people have other priorities? I'm a professional also, but my phone is MY phone. Not my work phone. For personal needs I think this is great. They aren't trying to sell phones to people in ERs. What on earth makes you think they are?

    Geez, it's a high end consumer phone. Anyone who can't figure that out is kidding themselves. But that doesn't make it a toy, doesn't make it useless, and they are going to bury the Treo in sales numbers.
    What exactly are these priorities. Thats what I cant understand. Is it music and web browsing, because I cant think of anything else its good for, except maybe to look flashy.

    Yes, I bet thats it. You want to look cool using it. Sorry, the rest of us want functionality.

    Surur
  11. #71  
    Yup, that's right you're in charge.

    Phone, music/video content, web, email, and the little extras that tie into that. Seems like the stuff almost everyone does.

    What is this functionality you love to harp on? Integration with exchange or Windows products? You seriously expect that on a phone from Apple?

    All this right now is speculation. How many iPods did they sell? How many Treo have sold? I suspect one year from now there will be more iPhones than Treos. That is the only measure of success, not your list of priorities.

    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    What exactly are these priorities. Thats what I cant understand. Is it music and web browsing, because I cant think of anything else its good for, except maybe to look flashy.

    Yes, I bet thats it. You want to look cool using it. Sorry, the rest of us want functionality.

    Surur
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Yup, that's right you're in charge.

    Phone, music/video content, web, email, and the little extras that tie into that. Seems like the stuff almost everyone does.

    What is this functionality you love to harp on? Integration with exchange or Windows products? You seriously expect that on a phone from Apple?

    All this right now is speculation. How many iPods did they sell? How many Treo have sold? I suspect one year from now there will be more iPhones than Treos. That is the only measure of success, not your list of priorities.
    Guess what, PalmOS and Symbian both do exchange sync.

    I thought it was satisfying your needs, and not going with the herd. For me at least its about my third party apps and device design. It seems you will eat anything thats convenient for Apple, as long as they make a slick UI.

    Surur
  13. #73  
    Slick UI and something that works. I also want seamless syncing with my Mac. Other products don't offer that, the iPhone will. That's a huge plus for me and other Mac users.

    It's very clear from the keynote that this being sold to the regular phone user who don't have smartphones and are thinking of one. They will get a much better phone than they have now and a much better iPod. It will great for them. And guess what? Most of them don't give a rat's a** about exchange sync. Neither do I.

    This a poor choice for business/windows integration usage. But that's not who they are trying to sell to. What is annoying is that all of you who dismiss it are claming it's nothing but a slick UI. You just don't get the ease of use and media aspects of it. Of course I can load content on an SD card on a WM device. Funny how those devices don't sell a fraction of the number of iPods. It's about matching the function to the usage. All the b****ing on here about what it can't do isn't its intended usage at all. It's not about looking cool (although it is way cooler than all the other stuff), it about working for the intended task. This thing is going to outsell all the Treos combined. Not to the business users, but to everyone else. The Treo 680 for example is dead compared to this thing. The only thing going for it is price.

    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Guess what, PalmOS and Symbian both do exchange sync.

    I thought it was satisfying your needs, and not going with the herd. For me at least its about my third party apps and device design. It seems you will eat anything thats convenient for Apple, as long as they make a slick UI.

    Surur
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  14. #74  
    No one said the media aspects won't work well. If you were using a smartphone all these years for its media abilities and to sync with itunes you have been barking up the wrong tree for a long time. Clearly the Iphone will suite you perfectly. Its just not a good smartphone at all.

    Surur
  15. mrjoec's Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Arnt you going to tie yourself for two years and great cost in a inadequate (for a smartphone) first generation product, when many say the next version in 6 months may have UMTS ?

    Surur
    Not really. You're signing up for two years with Cingular, not necessarily two years with the same phone on Cingular.

    Many people here have upgraded their Treos in less than two years without any penalty. Cingular will restart the two years when you upgrade, but they won't stop you from upgrading. After all, the next version will probably have UMTS, as you said, which is more money per month in Data charges for them. Why would they want to make you wait to pay them more?

    The penalty comes when you leave Cingular before your two years are up. Which won't happen if you want to stick with iPhone, anyway, since Cingular will be the sole provider in the US for quite some time.

    I've always hated the two-year commitment thing myself, but in this case, since iPhone won't be available on any other network, there isn't as much of a downside.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  16. mrjoec's Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I agree this is a Fisher Price phone. Look at the big picture, look at the functions.
    Okay. I'm looking at the functions. Text messaging, cell phone, better web browsing by a long shot than anything else in existence, IMAP email from any account (including an MS Exchange account, as long as your IT department has web email set up), built in WiFi and Bluetooth 2.0, 8 GB of storage space, Google Maps, some other cool widgets for up-to-date info, full synchronization of contacts and calendars on a Mac (which, I have to tell you is a big selling feature for me, since both Palm and WM5 blow chunks at this) or a PC, though probably not as well as a WM5 device. (I'll grant you that).

    Where does the Fisher Price thing come in? Oh, it's an iPod, too. I guess real business power users don't listen to music or watch videos during their commute. Never heard of any Treo user wanting to do that. Must be a kids toy. Nevermind.

    Keep this in mind: Over the next five months, Steve Jobs and many other Apple execs are going to be using their iPhones full time as their primary cell phones. Do you honestly think they are going to halt all development on the thing in the meantime? Remember, this isn't Palm we're talking about. The hardware may be pretty set in stone, but you can bet that the software will be getting tweaked well into the wee hours of the night before this thing starts getting put into boxes.

    I would not be surprised at all to see some more fruits of the partnership with Google, too. Safari is a full-fledged browser. What's to stop Apple from supporting Google's documents and spreadsheets?

    They could even choose to write an app to read Microsoft Word Docs and Excel spreadsheets. Considering the demand, it wouldn't be hard to imagine that happening. Maybe when iWork gets updated later this year, there will be a tie-in with iPhone, so that your docs can be auto-synched back and forth from your computer to your iPhone. The possibilities are endless. Because the user interface is so much more flexible.

    I can fully understand some people wanting to hang on to their hardware keyboards and perfect Windows compatibility. For some users the "W" Treos, at least, may be the better choice. (I don't think the Palm OS Treos stand a chance.) But don't flaunt your ignorance by denouncing anything else as a kid's toy. It weakens your argument and makes you sound like a child yourself.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  17. #77  
    Well said. For many uses other phones, like a Treo or Blackberry will be better. But too many here seem to have to resort to name calling or saying the iPhone is toy or not a smartphone. These arguments are just silly if you look at the capability of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    I can fully understand some people wanting to hang on to their hardware keyboards and perfect Windows compatibility. For some users the "W" Treos, at least, may be the better choice. (I don't think the Palm OS Treos stand a chance.) But don't flaunt your ignorance by denouncing anything else as a kid's toy. It weakens your argument and makes you sound like a child yourself.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    Okay. I'm looking at the functions. Text messaging, cell phone, better web browsing by a long shot than anything else in existence, IMAP email from any account (including an MS Exchange account, as long as your IT department has web email set up), built in WiFi and Bluetooth 2.0, 8 GB of storage space, Google Maps, some other cool widgets for up-to-date info, full synchronization of contacts and calendars on a Mac (which, I have to tell you is a big selling feature for me, since both Palm and WM5 blow chunks at this) or a PC, though probably not as well as a WM5 device.
    This goes to the heart of the matter. I'm a professional and I need to have multiple appointments/events/tasks organized and accurate(iCal), so I bought Agendus. It's a challenge getting things to sync right with my Treo 650. I have to use Chatter to get my email because I'm always on the go and it really helps(Palm email out of the box is a joke). I suffer through web browsing with Blazer to get on the Internet and view pages(with images set not to load). I bought Missing Sync so I would have a reliable Memo application(again not quite out of the box), as well as a way to improve Synching my data. The iPhone is going to STRONGLY appeal to Mac users as we've been left out in the cold for far too long. Oh, I guess I'll have an extra serial code, if it's allowed, for pTunes come June. Wait, do business people use those types of apps? Man, I didn't realize how expensive it's been to get my Treo to function with my Mac.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    I would not be surprised at all to see some more fruits of the partnership with Google, too. Safari is a full-fledged browser. What's to stop Apple from supporting Google's documents and spreadsheets?

    They could even choose to write an app to read Microsoft Word Docs and Excel spreadsheets. Considering the demand, it wouldn't be hard to imagine that happening. Maybe when iWork gets updated later this year, there will be a tie-in with iPhone, so that your docs can be auto-synched back and forth from your computer to your iPhone. The possibilities are endless. Because the user interface is so much more flexible.
    I was just reading about that this weekend in Macworld magazine. It's a brilliant way around a Docs To Go-type application.

    Also, I'm hoping that there will be sync options with a .Mac account, particularly with a Documents folder

    And, I agree, it's pretty ridiculous to call this phone a toy.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    No one said the media aspects won't work well. If you were using a smartphone all these years for its media abilities and to sync with itunes you have been barking up the wrong tree for a long time. Clearly the Iphone will suite you perfectly. Its just not a good smartphone at all.

    Surur
    Really? Judging by your comments, you must have used one. Please post your review for the rest of us!

    Seriously people, talking about how bad the iPhone is is pointless. It has another 5 months before launch. NO one knows exactly what it can and cannot do until launch time.

    If it only does what was shown during the keynote, then coun't me in. I want a phone that is easy to use, wonderful UI, and one that works seamlessly with my mac.

    The sensor to turn off the screen, the auto rotating, the multi touch screen, you HAVE to admit that this is one hell of a first gen 'toy'.

    I really think the iPhone will hopefully help push Palm's UI to the next level. Hell, it hasn't changed in 10 years. Besides the higher res and move to color and it took Sony to get that kicked off...

    The iPhone may be the best thing to happen to Treo users yet. This will get palm off of their @$$ and help them move forward their 10 year old OS.

    The better the competition, the better the products that will hit the shelves.
    Last edited by nospleen; 01/13/2007 at 10:56 PM.
  20. #80  
    Who really cares about what the naysayers have to say? Those that bash the iPhone really don't appreciate what this technology brings to the table and how it raises the bar of mobile tech. For so long now, NO one has really innovated the "smartphone" platform. It's basically been re-hashes of the same old tired technology.

    Apple revolutionized the music industry with iPod and iTunes. They will do so again to the smartphone market with the iPhone. Please don't tell me it's not a smartphone because you can't load 3rd party apps or because it doesn't connect to network A or network B. A "smartphone" gives an owner enhanced ways of working with voice, data, and multimedia over a standard voice phone. The iPhone will do this in a manner that people will want to use.

    The iPhone will appeal to people en masse, regardless of their status or lot in life.

    Besides, Apple doesn't think it needs to bulk sell to the corporate environment to be successful. All they need to do is make a quality product and make it "insanely great" to use. Apple has already shown the capacity to do that in whatever market they have chosen to enter. More than I can say for big, bad MS.

    Heck, not bad for a 1st gen attempt. I applaud Apple for setting the bar higher than what the complacent competition has done. Anyone who expends energy on pointing out the lack of "business functionality", really doesn't understand how this product will re-shape how we think about "Smart devices".

    I have been using Palm and Microsoft Pocket PC's and now Phone edition devices since 1999. I firmly believe that MS really needs to get their head out of their collective arse's and bring innovation to the winows platform. Perhaps a mini/mobile version of Vista is in order, maybe not. I will continue to use MS products nonetheless.

    The future is now ladies and gentlemen. It's good to see Apple inject some excitement into a market that has grown stagnant and complacent for lack of "real" competition.
    Last edited by JGold; 01/14/2007 at 12:37 AM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions