Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    But the second the iPhone is available, I'm getting and Palm has lost a customer forever. They've spent the past few years messing around with tiny increments and slowly removing more and more Mac oriented details.

Anyone who thinks the iPhone isn't going to significantly negatively impact Palm's future is kidding themselves. The software on the iPhone is light years better than anything Palm has even dreamed about. Don't just read websites, watch the quicktime video of the keynote speak. The iPhone is amazing to watch function. And this is only the beginning. You can be sure 3G in come in later models.

Oh and it has wifi and bluetooth NOW. Which Palm Treo has those available? Oh yeah, none.
    It's nice to see such enthusiasm for a product, but lets not forget these phones do two very different things, and they both do the things they were designed for incredibly well, IMO. (Hard to say the iPhone does what it's supposed to, but I'm hedging my bets with how well they did with the iPod/iTunes combo.)

We can argue that the Palm doesn't have Wi-Fi just as we can argue the iPhone doesn't have HSDPA. The Palm can have Wi-Fi via the miniSD port for just under $100 (http://store.treocentral.com/content...9-60--1672.htm)

I think they're both extremely powerful phones. I'm not ditching my Treo for a fun phone, period. It's going to make calls and play music extremely well. I need more functionality than that. If Palm comes out with something innovative and as useful to the business world as Apple has done for the consumer market, I'm sure myself and a lot of others will be on the bandwagon.
    I agree that you should get what suits your needs. If you use it for constant email the Treo is probably better with the fixed keyboard. If you want perfect integration with Windows, the 750 will be better.

But for lots of people who use it for personal use, I think the iPhone will be perfect. What gets me are the people you immediately dismiss it for everyone since it doesn't have one thing they want. Reminds me of when the Treo was the new thing.

Will Palm continue selling Treos (at least for a while)? Sure? But their days as touting themselves as the leaders in ease of use smartphones are over. Personally, I think this will mark the beginning of Palm's decline, I have serious doubts they will be around (at least as a separate company) two years from now. But for now the iPhone isn't even available.

Quote Originally Posted by doogz View Post
    It's nice to see such enthusiasm for a product, but lets not forget these phones do two very different things, and they both do the things they were designed for incredibly well, IMO. (Hard to say the iPhone does what it's supposed to, but I'm hedging my bets with how well they did with the iPod/iTunes combo.)

We can argue that the Palm doesn't have Wi-Fi just as we can argue the iPhone doesn't have HSDPA. The Palm can have Wi-Fi via the miniSD port for just under $100 (http://store.treocentral.com/content...9-60--1672.htm)

I think they're both extremely powerful phones. I'm not ditching my Treo for a fun phone, period. It's going to make calls and play music extremely well. I need more functionality than that. If Palm comes out with something innovative and as useful to the business world as Apple has done for the consumer market, I'm sure myself and a lot of others will be on the bandwagon.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I agree that you should get what suits your needs. If you use it for constant email the Treo is probably better with the fixed keyboard. If you want perfect integration with Windows, the 750 will be better.

But for lots of people who use it for personal use, I think the iPhone will be perfect. What gets me are the people you immediately dismiss it for everyone since it doesn't have one thing they want. Reminds me of when the Treo was the new thing.

Will Palm continue selling Treos (at least for a while)? Sure? But their days as touting themselves as the leaders in ease of use smartphones are over. Personally, I think this will mark the beginning of Palm's decline, I have serious doubts they will be around (at least as a separate company) two years from now. But for now the iPhone isn't even available.
    I have to agree palm has been sitting on their hands way to long, it is such a shame they had so much potential, it's just a matter of time when they get bought out and dumped
    I have sat tight with Handspring/Palm one for a long time.
    Through what 5 or 6 versions of Treos as noted in my sig.

I think I may wait for the iphone2 but if Palm doesn't get off their azz and make significant changes, I am dumping Treo too.
    I think anyone would be mad to think it will not sell well, and I dont think I saw anyone dismiss it for everyone. I however think its quite fair to dismiss it for the Smartphone/business phone set, seeing how it lacks a keyboard, a real push-email solution (webmail is not exactly good enough, is it) and no third party support (no SDK released).

For a business user there are many better phones out there.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think anyone would be mad to think it will not sell well, and I dont think I saw anyone dismiss it for everyone. I however think its quite fair to dismiss it for the Smartphone/business phone set, seeing how it lacks a keyboard, a real push-email solution (webmail is not exactly good enough, is it) and no third party support (no SDK released).

For a business user there are many better phones out there.

Surur
    Did you watch the keynote, it does have push mail. IMAP is push mail, the same push mail I have been using with my Treo for 4 years now.
    The iPhone is amazing to watch function. And this is only the beginning. You can be sure 3G in come in later models.

Oh and it has wifi and bluetooth NOW. Which Palm Treo has those available? Oh yeah, none.
    It is amazing to see how the public is going crazy over a demo. Any demo is designed to show a product's strength and hide its weakness. Yes, the iPhone does some cool things in the demo, but let's wait and see how it does in everyday life when it is actually available. The iphone, as of today, is only an advanced prototype.

I am also surprised by how many people are treating Palm and Apple differently. The iphone is $500+ and has no 3G capability, but that's okay because it has wifi and the 3G will come later. The 750 is $400 (probably $300 by the time the iphone is available) and has no wifi, oh no, Palm sucks and they don't listen to their customers, even though the 750 has 3G and wifi is available with an add-on card.

Jobs put on a great show the other day, but until I see the final product in person, iphone is nothing but a show at this point.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    I agree that it is going to be a big hit with the kids. I will probably buy one for my son to replace his Treo since he uses an Ipod too.
    I do not see how anyone that has used to a Treo (Palm OS or WM) could consider the Apple gadget a replacement. And a better replacement at that. This truly boggles my mind. I guess I use my Treo differently than most do…..

Joe
    Uhh, what exactly are you doing on your Treo? From what I saw it does everything my treo does and more:

• More Memory
    • Bigger Screen
    • Itunes vs. Pocket Tunes
    • Wi-Fi
    • Better form factor
    • Blue Tooth 2.0
    • Visual Voicemail

In the end every phone will have it's super-fans. Some people can't imagine having anything other than a Q, others are hanging on to their blackberry. Hell i'm sure somewhere there is a person who just wants a Motorola Star Tac again. I accept that.

For me, if a better product comes along, i'm all in and to say the iPhone isn't a better product would be like trying to convince me that your girl is hotter than Salma Hayek....because hey maybe she is, to you.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NextDream View Post
    Uhh, what exactly are you doing on your Treo? From what I saw it does everything my treo does and more:

• More Memory
    • Bigger Screen
    • Wi-Fi
    • Better form factor
    • Blue Tooth 2.0
    • Visual Voicemail

In the end every phone will have it's super-fans. Some people can't imagine having anything other than a Q, others are hanging on to their blackberry. Hell i'm sure somewhere there is a person who just wants a Motorola Star Tac again. I accept that.

For me, if a better product comes along, i'm all in and to say the iPhone isn't a better product would be like trying to convince me that your girl is hotter than Salma Hayek....because hey maybe she is, to you.
    Well, I guess I use mine for business more than you.
    Terminal services
    Citrix
    VNC
    Exchange
    Alerting SW for email and calls/voicemail
    FTP
    Call logging/accounting SW
    Excel

That is just my short list of much needed SW.

I suppose I just assumed that since this is a Treo forum that others used theirs like I use mine.

These devices do not appear to compete AT ALL in my book with a Treo. Not even close.

I’m sure my son will enjoy his iPhone when he gets it……

Joe

• More Memory
    • Bigger Screen
    • Wi-Fi
    • Better form factor
    • Blue Tooth 2.0
    • Visual Voicemail

Really, everything and more? We must be looking at two different products because I see:

- No 3G
    - No Expansion Slot
    - No third-party software support
    - No one-handed operation
    - No physical keyboard
    - No Corporate Push Email support like Exchange Direct Push, Good, BB Connect, Seven, etc.
    - More $$$

I think the iPhone has some cool features, but there is no one phone that fits all, especially not at $500+.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Really, everything and more? We must be looking at two different products because I see:

- No 3G
    - No Expansion Slot
    - No third-party software support
    - No one-handed operation
    - No physical keyboard
    - No Corporate Push Email support like Exchange Direct Push, Good, BB Connect, Seven, etc.
    - More $$$

I think the iPhone has some cool features, but there is no one phone that fits all, especially not at $500+.
    Very true, one phone won't work for all. This one works for me.

Serious question for the palm Zealots. If the Treo 800 came out tomorrow and it had 8gigs of memory would you be asking about an expansion slot? Or would you just be in awe at the jump from 128MB....
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Imo..anyone who even in part uses the multimedia dimension of their device to any extent is making a poor choice with a treo...if for nothing else but screen size.
    Treo's small screens on converged devices are really obsolete ...especially with the HTC's rolling out in summer...at least 2 of which have variations of static keyboards...in addition to 2.6'' screens....and thinner....and lighter.
    I love watching CNN,ESPN or a downloaded dvd coming home on the train...doing it on my old 750 just did NOT cut it.
    Apples and Orange comparison: treos are glorified smartphones compared to Iphones and the like.
    Last edited by rockky; 01/11/2007 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Did you watch the keynote, it does have push mail. IMAP is push mail, the same push mail I have been using with my Treo for 4 years now.
    IMAP is not push email. IMAP is a protocol that syncs server side email folders and folders on your local email client. Nothing with IMAP has anything to do with push email.

Not trying to be mean, just correcting an assumption.

For what it's worth, I think that anyone that thinks that a $600 phone WITH 2-year contract is going to rip the market share away from others is kinda silly. Again, Treos and the iPhone intersect in features... NOT target markets. I believe the ones that will suffer the most are Motorola, Sony-Erisson (big player in music-phones), and less so Nokia.

Just my guess.
    Anyone who doesn't want an iPhone fine. To each their own.

But the second the iPhone is available, I'm getting and Palm has lost a customer forever. They've spent the past few years messing around with tiny increments and slowly removing more and more Mac oriented details.

Anyone who thinks the iPhone isn't going to significantly negatively impact Palm's future is kidding themselves. The software on the iPhone is light years better than anything Palm has even dreamed about. Don't just read websites, watch the quicktime video of the keynote speak. The iPhone is amazing to watch function. And this is only the beginning. You can be sure 3G in come in later models.

Just as a side note. I think ALL Mac users that use a Treo will (and probably should) switch to the iPhone. The iPhone will obviously integrate flawlessly with your system. As a Windows user who works in a world of non MAC users, the iPhone and it's features don't fit my needs.

I'm sure 3G will come in later models, just as I think Wifi will come in later models of Treos (remember, Palm is going to release 4 new models this year)... but I have had EVDO for over 18 months now... I don't use Wifi... and don't feel there is a compelling reason to have it on my smartphone. Again, everyone has their own needs and experiences.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Serious question for the palm Zealots. If the Treo 800 came out tomorrow and it had 8gigs of memory would you be asking about an expansion slot? Or would you just be in awe at the jump from 128MB....
    Well, if all I could do with that 8 GB of memory is store music (since the iPhone has no apps to install), I wouldn’t be asking anything since I would laugh it off as something not for me to begin with.

Joe

I'm not a Palm Zealot (I have used more phones and smartphones than a dozen). However, I still wouldn't be that impressed with 8GB of memory with no expansion slot.

1. Expansion slot=almost unlimited memory
    2. My iPod (yes, I have one) has over 40GB of music that I carry with me all the time.

In addition, Apple has decided to lock the phone from 3rd party applications. While I understand their reasons for it, I would not choose a phone that had that limitation.
    I say treo 750 & Iphone, not are the same and they are potential machines, you have a treo that is a PDA there is no doubt about that, the Iphone yes they went to far away in the advances that they achieve like 200 patents in that machine, i mean thats a lot of potential but, IS NOT A PDA, that the only argument that i say, it depend on your lifestyle the way that you use this 2 babes!!
    That might be true today, but I will say the line dividing that statement is getting smaller.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    How on earth is the iPhone not a PDA? Just because you can't add third party apps? That's silly, you add third-party apps to add capability or fix lame provided apps. The iPhone already has world class apps in it along with a better OS than any existing PDA. I don't see anything in it that needs fixing or replacing for my use.

I love how every detractor here wants to redefine smartphone and PDA so the iPhone isn't one. A 480x320 pixel touchscreen, wifi, bluetooth, PIM apps, browser, iPod, etc... device isn't a PDA? Right....
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    The device is definitely a pda. And I do like it, but the 3G thing is killer and I would like to be able to use my slingbox with it. And orb (which I'm sure will support it soon after release). Is it really CONFIRMED thgat you cannot use 3rd party apps on it? I find that hard to believe.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast