Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by treonu-b View Post
    i was really impressed by the iPhone until i read this...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...-a-smartphone/

its frickin sick.........but im still happy im pickin up my 750 tomorrow......
    Well all I will say is that the 750 will hold me over until a 2nd gen iPhone with 3G is released.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52 View Post

1. No ability to sync and update my business docs (Excel, Word, PPT, etc.)
    2. No syncing to my MS Exchange server for - Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Metting scheduling, etc.
    Long time Treo user, but the iPhone demo blew me away.
    I just wished that the above were somehow included, ...only then it would be truely the phone I have been waiting for...
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Well all I will say is that the 750 will hold me over until a 2nd gen iPhone with 3G is released.

Pretty much my thoughts (at this point), exactly!
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    Totally changed my decisions, now I am waiting for the iphone.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    No 3G.
    No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
    No expandable memory.
    No removable battery.
    No Exchange or Office support

"first party software ONLY"

No Thanks. It's a very nice phone but I'll wait till they make a 3G version. My wife will get this so I'll see if it's for me, that being said it can't be an innovative internet communication device without highspeed internet, sorry. I'm assuming the phone is going to retail for around $800 without a contract which is a pretty big chunk of change considering this is geared towards the nnon-corporate user.

Do you guys remember the first generation nanos? or the current ipods? Notice the fingerprints and scratches? I don't see this device holding up any better considering the heavy use it's going to get. I can't imagine dropping this face down. As much as we hate to admit it we have all dropped our cell phones on the ground.

I give Apple a huge for pushing the envelope and creating a stir that will awake all the other cell phone makers.
    And is this thing going to trump Hawkins device?
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot View Post
    And is this thing going to trump Hawkins device?
    We don't even know what Hawkins device is all about. Unless of course you have some inside information you carre to share.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    [QUOTEI'm assuming the phone is going to retail for around $800 without a contract which is a pretty big chunk of change considering this is geared towards the nnon-corporate user.

I can't imagine dropping this face down. As much as we hate to admit it we have all dropped our cell phones on the ground.

I give Apple a huge for pushing the envelope and creating a stir that will awake all the other cell phone makers.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Paying $600 for a cool phone for people without the luxury of corporate discounts or company provided phones is going to be problem. Also, without the business related amenities, power users would be back to carrying two devices if they HAD to have the iPhone.

The screen was my biggest concern. I'm already overprotective about the 680, but with that much screen to damage...

I have severe OCD, so every piece of information about myself and my kids' is documented (via many can't-live-without third party apps) in the Treo. I doubt I could switch just because it's the newest and coolest and plays music etc... Especially, since I can do that already thanks to the ability to add any thing I want on as many memory cards as I want.

Maybe this will push Palm to add the features everyone has been screaming for, maybe not. (I know, I know...most likely not!) But, from an organizational standpoint, I can't find a better device than the Treo.
    Why does Apple hate removable batteries? I guess they want people buying new devices as the battery croaks.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    And this is what the investors think:
    Following the introduction of the iPhone today, Apple stock rose $7.10, or more than 8 percent, to end the trading day at $92.57 a share. Meanwhile, being negatively affected by the iPhone, shares of smartphone makers Palm and Research In Motion (RIM) fell sharply. In the wake of the announcement, investors sold off shares of RIM, maker of the Blackberry line of devices, causing the stock to fall nearly 8 percent, or more than $11. Palm, maker of the popular Treo handheld, saw its stock drop nearly 6 percent.
    I am definitely going to buy one. For all the haters out there. You HAVE to admit that for Apple's first crack at a phone, they have EXCEEDED expectations. If this is what we get at their first shot, wow, imagine the 2nd or 3rd?!
    Anyone who doesn't want an iPhone fine. To each their own.

But the second the iPhone is available, I'm getting and Palm has lost a customer forever. They've spent the past few years messing around with tiny increments and slowly removing more and more Mac oriented details.

Anyone who thinks the iPhone isn't going to significantly negatively impact Palm's future is kidding themselves. The software on the iPhone is light years better than anything Palm has even dreamed about. Don't just read websites, watch the quicktime video of the keynote speak. The iPhone is amazing to watch function. And this is only the beginning. You can be sure 3G in come in later models.

Oh and it has wifi and bluetooth NOW. Which Palm Treo has those available? Oh yeah, none.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    If MacOS X for iPhone is as stable as the desktop version that will be great, because my Mac has only kernel panicked once since I bought it,and that was using beta software
    garinballbarin
    What? Wow! it's amazing! An Ipod qith phone! Definitely it's the best smartphone with the best functions I've seen ever.
    I've just throw my Treo to fire, and I'm waiting for the Iphone...

I'm just waiting for open my first spreadsheet on my brand new Iphone... oh, oh.

Sorry, I'm a bussiness user, not a teenager with money. Iphone isn't for me.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by nospleen View Post
    I am definitely going to buy one. For all the haters out there. You HAVE to admit that for Apple's first crack at a phone, they have EXCEEDED expectations. If this is what we get at their first shot, wow, imagine the 2nd or 3rd?!
    Arnt you going to tie yourself for two years and great cost in a inadequate (for a smartphone) first generation product, when many say the next version in 6 months may have UMTS ?

Surur
    Sorry, I'm not a teenager. And for using a spreadsheet they have this amazing invention called a laptop. Works worlds better than a dinky 240x240 pixel screen for a spreadsheet. Try it sometime.

I don't expect to hold my laptop to my ear to make a phone call. And I don't expect to use spreadsheets on a tiny 2" screen. Saying one phone is better than another for using spreadsheets is pretty silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    What? Wow! it's amazing! An Ipod qith phone! Definitely it's the best smartphone with the best functions I've seen ever.

I'm just waiting for open my first spreadsheet on my brand new Iphone... oh, oh.

It might be inadequate for your needs, but I don't see it as inadequate. There will always be a better version later. It's just that Treos take 18 months for new models instead of 6.

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Arnt you going to tie yourself for two years and great cost in a inadequate (for a smartphone) first generation product, when many say the next version in 6 months may have UMTS ?

Surur
    with regard to the cost aspect has anyone thought about it like this....

I'm a treo 650 user and was ready to pay approx £270 for an unlocked treo 750. I also quite like the idea of an ipod nano, approx £150. Now if I can get a device that does both in one slim box for about the same money ( $800 estimated unlocked cost for iphone - roughly £430) I'm all for it. Plus it just happens to look amazing and if it works as well as os x on the desktop then thats even better. Yes the 750 is probably a better business device but its still not perfect.

I'm a big fan of the treo but have always felt as if palm were milking faithful users for all they are worth. How they could pitch the treo 680 at a "prosumer" is beyond me. And if they want to bag less informed customers a VGA camera is not the way to do it. All my less techy friends evaluate their phones on how flash it looks and how many megapixels the camera has.

I just hope the iphone wakes someone up at palm and they start to really make an effort again. The way I see it apple will probably have the consumer end sown up, while RIM seem to have the business end. Where does that leave palm?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post

I agree that it is going to be a big hit with the kids. I will probably buy one for my son to replace his Treo since he uses an Ipod too.
    I do not see how anyone that has used to a Treo (Palm OS or WM) could consider the Apple gadget a replacement. And a better replacement at that. This truly boggles my mind. I guess I use my Treo differently than most do…..

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    Absolutely!!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast