Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am currently a 650 user would like to upgrade to 750. However, I have my WHOLE life in 650 (Palm OS) Calender, Contacts, Tasks, and Memos. I would like to know if anyone care to share experience/know how to upgraded/transformed from Palm OS to Windows Mobile OS? Thank you in advance...
    Went surpirsing well for me. I had been a POS guy for almost 10 years, but made the switch to the 750v in October and was surprised by how smoother the process was then i expected. You have to be willing to learn the new OS of course, and probably get new third party apps if you use any, but as to the basics you mention, zero problems what-so-ever in the change over. After a few days of playing with it i expect i will not go back. Best of luck!
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    I'm in the middle of it right now. Hit a few snags but I think I'll get there before long. Nothing so much with the OS itself, trying to get it working with bluetooth, etc.
    I'm still waiting for the unlocked 750 to hit the market but having been a Treo 650 user (and a Palm pda user for years before that) since January 2005 I had to get a new phone a few months back. I tried the Sony Ericsson P990i and the Nokia E61, both with Symbian OS. The P990i is an amazing phone but way to slow - it was a disaster! I really liked the Nokia but it didn't have a touchscreen. I'm currently on an HTC TyTn and I quite like the Windows Mobile OS! Going from Palm OS to WM was much easier than from Palm to Symbian. The only thing I really, really dislike is having to use Outlook for my calendar, contacts etc, and I also really miss the threaded SMS function on my good old 650. I'm dying to lay my hands on a 750!!!

Marianne
    Please check out my review of the 750v http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/932-1.htm
    I was a Palm user since 1999 and got the Vodafone 750v a few months ago and I'm glad I did. One thing I can tell you, avoid most 3rd party apps in the WM world for now, they are crap. I tried a whole bunch, and got rid of them all. iambic is coming out with a WM version of Agendus, so there will be a somewhat familiar key app for contacts, calendar etc.

As for all your other data, this is not a problem at all. I synced to Outlook with my T650 and now sync to Outlook with my 750v. In fact, I find the syncing with ActiveSync a little better than with HotSync.

Of course, should you run into any issues, there is a good chance that somebody on TC has already resolved it.

Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    I am currently a 650 user would like to upgrade to 750. However, I have my WHOLE life in 650 (Palm OS) Calender, Contacts, Tasks, and Memos. I would like to know if anyone care to share experience/know how to upgraded/transformed from Palm OS to Windows Mobile OS? Thank you in advance...
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    realy smooth, no problems at all.
    I'm not a gynecologist, but I can take a look at it for you...
    I've been devoted to Palm OS since about '95 and while it was fairly smooth, migrating your contacts isn't seamless. I exported to tab-delimited format and any changes you made to the default layout of the fields won't be carried over. I had put a lot of cellphone numbers in the 3rd slot ("business fax" by default) and changed the label to "mobile" and those show up in outlook under "business fax" after you sync. Custom may or may not carry over; I didn't map any fields into Outlook's importer. But the categories and notes all came over and I was never SOOL as far as being able to do what I needed to do.

Calendar doesn't transfer as far as I can tell.
    Notes go to Outlook Notes fine, but Outlook doesn't let you preview notes like palm desktop.
    Switching to text messaging seems lag about 75% of time (lag meaning the windows mobile version of hourglass pops up for about a second).

Otherwise, it's a fairly smooth transition and I'm happily exploring a new world. Good phone. Better carrier.
    day 5 for me on the 750 from the 650...getting used to it but no major problems so far...just a lot to learn!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Boy you got that right! Most WM5 apps stink so bad, but most seem to review them positively.

The new Agenda One by DeveloperOne is pretty good though. I think it's the best calendar app for WM5 available currently by far.

Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    I was a Palm user since 1999 and got the Vodafone 750v a few months ago and I'm glad I did. One thing I can tell you, avoid most 3rd party apps in the WM world for now, they are crap. I tried a whole bunch, and got rid of them all. iambic is coming out with a WM version of Agendus, so there will be a somewhat familiar key app for contacts, calendar etc.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Going good for me as well!! (650>750) Brought in all my contacts, task and calendar events pretty easily! The only dfference is the SPEED on my internet connection! Love slingbox and internet browsing!!
    It went seamlessly for me. I sync'd my old 650 with Outlook, then loaded the 750 software. I downloaded everything from Outlook to the 750 and everything I had on the 650 found it's way to the 750 without any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Boy you got that right! Most WM5 apps stink so bad, but most seem to review them positively.
    What is the deal with that? I'm on day 9 of the change from 650 to 750 and while I am hooked on HSDPA Internet speeds, the lack of basic apps that I was used to on the Palm OS is disturbing. I'm still trying to find a decent replacement for Verichat, Backup Buddy and some of my other long time favorites.

Overall, I have no complaints with the phone itself or WM 5 but the apps suck on ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by bebrewer View Post
    What is the deal with that? I'm on day 9 of the change from 650 to 750 and while I am hooked on HSDPA Internet speeds, the lack of basic apps that I was used to on the Palm OS is disturbing. I'm still trying to find a decent replacement for Verichat, Backup Buddy and some of my other long time favorites.

Overall, I have no complaints with the phone itself or WM 5 but the apps suck on ice.
    1) verichat for WM5
    2) SPB Backup
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    1) verichat for WM5
    2) SPB Backup
    I'm using SPB Backup and haven't been that impressed thus far. Do you know where you can get Verichat for WM5? The PDApps website says it is no longer for sale....
    Quote Originally Posted by bebrewer View Post
    I'm using SPB Backup and haven't been that impressed thus far. Do you know where you can get Verichat for WM5? The PDApps website says it is no longer for sale....
    I got it a couple of months ago for my 8525 before they took it away, that's the only reason I have it.

I love SPB backup, it just works. I've restored from it and it works perfectly. You can also get a desktop unpacking tool so you can sift through the items in the backup to recover individual documents and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I got it a couple of months ago for my 8525 before they took it away, that's the only reason I have it.

I love SPB backup, it just works. I've restored from it and it works perfectly. You can also get a desktop unpacking tool so you can sift through the items in the backup to recover individual documents and such.
    I'll try to give SPB a little more time then. Still looking for a good chat client because IM+ doesn't cut for me after using Verichat for 2 years.
    My two cents.

Bought the Treo 750v the day it was available - 1/9. Killed me because I've loved the Palm OS from it's first version. Hell, Microsoft asked me to check out there first version of their new portable OS and flew a bunch of us geeks to the Microsoft campus and gave us each a Casio something or other. Sucky hardware, sucky OS.

So, back to the switch, I hate it. This smacks of all other MS OSs. Their need to dominate your general interface has always made me uneasy. With the Palm OS, you didn't really know it was there. All your favorite programs WERE your interface and you didn't deal to much with the actual OS.

The whole Start thing suck. I have never thought of my PDA (Smartphone) as a little desktop. X Launcher was my favorite and most used app.

OK, what else; the alarm function looks tacked on. Windows Media player SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS!

The Today app has potential but needs a redesign.

The lack of ALL programs to have and "OK" button without a true Quit button sucks.

OK, I'll stop.

Here's what I like: Connections is pretty cool. The Phone interface and contact lookup is sort of cool. Active Sync works - which is so much better then the mostly failed Sync of all previous Palms. The way you install programs (even though there only three of four on the market that you might actualy want) is great.

Biggest pet peevs (for now); on the Palm OS, you could turn the screen off and then turn it back on to find the program you were working on. You have to turn it back on, then go to start, and pick it from the Quick Launch thing. This was great. I can't figure out how to do that on the WM5 OS. Seems like MS wants you to always return to their Today screen. Sucks.

About the hardware: It's great. Actually, it's incredible! Bluetooth works right away. I use the Gsat GPS receiver and it ROCKS with little programs like Novio (which I need to mention has a Quit or Full Stop button on the interface).

Overall, I find myself using the stylus almost all the time. This compared to not touching my stylus for weeks at a time on my Treo 650.

I'm sure I will get use to it, and I'm sure the OS will get better, and I'm sure companies like Blue Nomad (Backup Buddy) will come out with great WM5 apps, and I'm sure the market will flood with many other vendors with decent and great WM5 products. I just wish the guys from Palm had a more aggressive plan for the OS I trusted and used for Years.

Damn, I have to find a life.
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    I just wish the guys from Palm had a more aggressive plan for the OS I trusted and used for Years.
    Roger that, after using the Palm OS ever since the first Palm device was released, the Treo was a logical progression that incorporated voice and data into my PDA. As much as I loved my 650, time has passed it by and Palm has no real plan to join the HSDPA party. I've felt like I would have to get with the program and embrace WM5 since we first starting hearing the rumblings of the 750 last year. I've never been a big MS fan but it looks like they are the only horse in the race for next generation smartphones....
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Verichat is gone. Find a substitute (I have no idea what that might be.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast