Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm contimplating the switch. I had an 8125 a few months ago and hated it, is WM5 much better?

I have a 650 right now.. and love it.
    I'm hating the stuff I'm reading in this thread.

I have a 650. I want the Exchange Server interaction that WM5 will bring -- vastly better than Versamail 3.5's current "sync email and calendar on demand" over the air capability.

I'm conflicted because of the rave reviews for the 750 (on the one hand) and the seeming lack of decent third party software (on the other hand). I have used WM5 devices, and have my own opinions about clunkiness, but I also figure it is like the transition I made long ago from WordPerfect to Word -- just ride with it a while and be patient.

For instance, Expense Diary from www.adarian.com is one of my key programs on my Treo. In my MDA/SDA/Dash phases, I couldn't find a decent PPC/Smartphone travel expense program.

For instance, I use T.E.A.K. for time billing. Not great, but it works. Couldn't find anything for the WM side.

Just got Blue Pill for my 650 after leaving my trusty Treo on the back seat of a taxi in Boston (kind stranger handed it to me as I was walking away). I have to figure there is something like that on the WM side.

Etc.

So I fear I am going to end up on the 750 because I have to in order to sync with my work's Exchange Server, but I am going to lose functionality from these third party software programs I have come to rely on.

What was the old saying? Resistance is futile. Submit and be assimilated. Something like that.
    You'll have to pay for it, but there is software out there. I find that it's not that the software necessarily sucks all the time, its just that people aren't used to a completely different way of doing the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    My two cents.

OK, what else; the alarm function looks tacked on. Windows Media player SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS!

I sync with WMP on my desktop and I have my album art and my playlists thrown onto my Treo and every other WM device I've owned. Works well IMO. Works great with my Nextlink BT Stereo Headphones, I can play/pause/skip/previous/volume up/down using just the headphones.

The Today app has potential but needs a redesign.

That's the beauty of the Today screen though - you can add Today plugins so your Today screen looks NOTHING like the default version. It would be nice to have some of this functionality out of the box, but I'd rather it be plain and totally customizable then be redesigned and have limited customizing capability.

The lack of ALL programs to have and "OK" button without a true Quit button sucks.

WM5 actually runs pretty well with programs running in the background. In any case, there are programs like the HTC X-Close app that works great and has a small footprint.

OK, I'll stop.

Here's what I like: Connections is pretty cool. The Phone interface and contact lookup is sort of cool. Active Sync works - which is so much better then the mostly failed Sync of all previous Palms. The way you install programs (even though there only three of four on the market that you might actualy want) is great.

Biggest pet peevs (for now); on the Palm OS, you could turn the screen off and then turn it back on to find the program you were working on. You have to turn it back on, then go to start, and pick it from the Quick Launch thing. This was great. I can't figure out how to do that on the WM5 OS. Seems like MS wants you to always return to their Today screen. Sucks.

You can just press the FN key + END to lock the screen where you are so when you power it back on, you're right where you left off. I personally don't mind it because I have my most used apps on my Today Screen and Start Menu, I rarely ever have to access the actual programs list.

About the hardware: It's great. Actually, it's incredible! Bluetooth works right away. I use the Gsat GPS receiver and it ROCKS with little programs like Novio (which I need to mention has a Quit or Full Stop button on the interface).

Overall, I find myself using the stylus almost all the time. This compared to not touching my stylus for weeks at a time on my Treo 650.

You'll get used to it, but the 650 is still better at no-stylus use. In the random times I need to touch the screen, I just use my fingers. Screen protectors are always a must though, no matter what type of device you have.

I'm sure I will get use to it, and I'm sure the OS will get better, and I'm sure companies like Blue Nomad (Backup Buddy) will come out with great WM5 apps, and I'm sure the market will flood with many other vendors with decent and great WM5 products. I just wish the guys from Palm had a more aggressive plan for the OS I trusted and used for Years.

I used backup buddy on my 650 and I now use SPB Backup on my 750 and I don't see the big fuss about this. It backs up at a certain time, I can pick what I want backed up, and it does it. Stores it to my storage card and I can pick how many I want to keep. Works well. I might be missing the point here though, maybe someone can tell me why backup buddy was so great?

Damn, I have to find a life.
    Responses are in bold, I took out some stuff that was just personal preference that there was no need to respond to. Hope it helps a bit.
    After reading your reply gadgetluva I'm still in a place where I don't want to find excuses to like a product, I want to like it because it's that much better then what I had.

Just a couple comments; first, thanks for spending time commenting. Regarding some of your responses, I don't think of my Smartphone needing to be attached to my computer, so I require functionality in the app I buy for the 750 and not only when I'm attached to my laptop. Media Player sucks compared to say - Pocket Tunes. Again, I don't want to be forced to use ANOTHER of the MS average apps on my desktop to make there limited Treo app do what I want.

"Fn key + End" to lock the screen - what the hell? How can you stand behind such a stupid oversight on their part. At the very least, this should have been an option somewhere. One step forward, three clicks backwards.

I don't think leaving programs running in the background that you have no use for now is a good use of resources. I remember hearing before the 750 came out that they moved the reset button to the side for convenience. This seemed a little odd because I rarely use the reset.

Now I understand, they moved it there BECAUSE of WM5 crashes a LOT more then Palm OS. I have had the 750 for less then two weeks and have used the convenient reset button four times (mostly from Media Player screwing up the audio driver).

Enough, I'm here - I need to get use to it. I guess if Palm is committed, I'm committed.
    After reading your reply gadgetluva I'm still in a place where I don't want to find excuses to like a product, I want to like it because it's that much better then what I had.

Just a couple comments; first, thanks for spending time commenting. Regarding some of your responses, I don't think of my Smartphone needing to be attached to my computer, so I require functionality in the app I buy for the 750 and not only when I'm attached to my laptop. Media Player sucks compared to say - Pocket Tunes. Again, I don't want to be forced to use ANOTHER of the MS average apps on my desktop to make there limited Treo app do what I want.

"Fn key + End" to lock the screen - what the hell? How can you stand behind such a stupid oversight on their part. At the very least, this should have been an option somewhere. One step forward, three clicks backwards.

I don't think leaving programs running in the background that you have no use for now is a good use of resources. I remember hearing before the 750 came out that they moved the reset button to the side for convenience. This seemed a little odd because I rarely use the reset.

Now I understand, they moved it there BECAUSE of WM5 crashes a LOT more then Palm OS. I have had the 750 for less then two weeks and have used the convenient reset button four times (mostly from Media Player screwing up the audio driver).

Enough, I'm here - I need to get use to it. I guess if Palm is committed, I'm committed.
    For music - there are a lot of players out there that might suit your needs.

I think having the option of pressing END and it just locking the screen there would be good. But A lot of my time is spent on the Today screen anyways. I have 12 programs that I launch from the Today screen and another 7 from the Start Menu. Alot of my data that I regularly view (calendar + tasks) is on the Today screen as well, so that's why it doesn't bother me.

I like having programs that I access often left open. Having SPB Finance open is nice because I enter in transactions throughout the day into it, and analyze my spending. The txt msg app is perpetually open because I'm always sending/receiving txts. If I watch a video from miniSD via TCPMP on my Treo, I want to leave it paused if I don't get the chance to finish it so I can resume it whenever with ease. And the big one - when I switch away from IE, I want to go back to the page I was viewing without waiting for the cache or for the phone to redownload everything. For programs that I want to close, I use HTC X-Close (www.xda-developers.com search on the forums to find it). Tapping the X closes it. I mainly use the OK key on the device to get out of programs that I want left running. Even with my main apps open - IE, SPB finance, and txt msging - I have plenty of RAM to do whatever. I'm not trying to convince you that your useage should be like this, but I'm just stating why I like it the way it is. You can make WM5 close apps with some freeware - you can't make Palm OS multitask no matter what you do (besides a couple of apps that do allow it like PocketTunes).

WMP for me has been solid for me, and never really caused any crashes. I agree that it could be more powerful, but for how I use it, I think it's fine. I do like PocketTunes though, great app for the 650 I owned for a year. But I really do like how easy it is to sync WMP on my phone with WMP11 on my desktop. I've always used WMP on my computer, and I don't mind it. No need for me to find anything else.

Some people say Palm OS is more stable, some say WM5 is more stable, it all depends on what you use. I usually don't have to reset the 750 or my 8525 because I have to (unless I'm tweaking some stuff/testing/adding/removing programs), I reset just because it's habit. I used to constantly reset my 650 because my internet connection wouldn't work or something would just cause a random crash. I haven't had any random resets on my 8525 or 750 even with all of the programs I have.

Since you're a POS user, it'll take some getting used to. But most likely, you'll get used to it and possible even start to enjoy WM5, but maybe you won't. I know personally that I'll never go back to POS, and I've probably owned the same amount of POS devices that I have owned WM5 devices.

Vodafone in their infinite wisdom wanted it this way, and I guess Cingular thought it was fine too....still hoping we can find the regentry that can revert this behavior

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1048-1.htm

<snip>
    * Literally every time somebody at the table brought up some little niggling user interface issue or bug, we watched the Palm employees heads nod and their faces smile knowingly. And there's usually surprising explanations behind them. Here's a long example:

That 750v's "end" button takes you to the Today screen first, then requires a second tap to turn off the screen. Every other Treo just lets you hit that red button to turn off the screen. So what? Well, I like the way that the other Treos do it because it means that when you turn the phone back on, the screen is still where you left it (so to speak). Andy Clipsham, the product manager for the Treo 750, calls this "wake to state" and says that they had wanted to maintain it on the 750v. But Vodafone said no - that basically every phone their customers have ever used has that "end" button take them back to the home screen, so do it that way.

Clipsham gave me a tip, though - if you hold down option and hit the end key, that turns on your keyguard. Basically, turning on your keyguard on a WM Treo is the equivalent to turning off the screen. Sure enough, there's my "wake to state" back-- if I want it badly enough to remember that little trick.

</snip>
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Scottymomo,

That's funny. So user preference is trumped by Voda's guess about user preference. Too bad we have to resort to things like the Clipsham Manoeuvre to restore our sanity.

They hate us.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I've been on the 750 for about a week, and here is my assessment...

Good stuff:
    -The Exchange Server push works great...I love getting things as they come in, and when I change a contact or enter a new appointment, it transfers over immediately.
    -Contacts: Every field from Outlook transfers over.
    -Today Screen: Great interface. I like the way contacts lookup works, the fact that it guesses (correctly) if you are imputting a name or a number, the picture speed dial is great.
    -Speed: Internet and email are definitely much faster on 3G network
    -Outlook Mobile: Every time you go back into the program, it takes you right back to where you left off. I wish Versamail had done this.

Bad Stuff:
    -Screen Resolution is really annoying after working with the 650. Fonts are nowhere near as sharp. My solitaire sessions are much slower since I can't see the cards all that well. Screen real estate suffers in Internet Explorer and other programs, where you just can't get enough info on the screen at one time to make it readable.
    -Contacts sync: OK...I have 10,000 contacts. On the 650, an initial sync would take 35-40 minutes. On the 750, I tried contacts sync with Exchange Server via the computer, and I tried a direct sync with Outlook via the Activesync conduit. In both cases, it was taking hours. I finally gave up and tried an OTA sync so I could at least go home for the weekend. It took 53 hours to sync, but it finally did it. Once the initial sync was done, the incremental OTA syncs have been great.
    -Off button: I hate that the off button brings you to the Today screen, rather than just shutting down. I like being able to go right back to where I was.
    -Internet Explorer: Just not as elegant or intuitive as Blazer.
    -PDF Viewer: Will not open PDFs from EFAX. I had to switch back to getting faxes as TIF files and installed Resco Photo Viewer. This works, but why should I pay for functionality that should have been included.
    -Battery Life: Definitely suffers as compared with the 650, but better than the 680.
    -Missing Programs:
    --Vindigo: won't work on WM5, and I can't get the Palm version to work with StyleTap.
    --AIM: I tried several IM programs, but none of them worked properly with AOL.
    --TomTom 6: Won't work. Hopefully the update that is supposedly in the mail will take care of this. In the meantime, I'm auditioning Telenav.
    --NYC Subway Map: I'm using my old Palm one through StyleTap.
    --ShortCut5: This program was a real time saver for me, and I can't find anything on WM5 that has its functionality.

Bottom line: I would have chosen to stick to the 650 but for the form factor on the 750 (love it), and the limited memory on the 650, which I kept running into. I tried the 680, and was screwed over by the OTA contacts sync which is REQUIRED if you do any OTA sync, and doesn't include all the fields. I was also concerned about battery life, but it looks like that aspect will be fixed. If they could fix those two issues on the 680, I think I would switch back in a second. I still haven't decided whether to stick to the 750 or jump back to the 650.
    So far I love the 750, although I'm going through a learning curve with WM versus Palm.

Two questions:

On my Contacts, on the Palm OS, I utilized the "Custom Fields 1-4 at the end of the Treo Contacts entry field to place alot of info. When I began synching to Outlook instead of Palm Desktop, that info transferred on my computer Outlook Contacts into the "all fields" as "User Fields 1-4". So that info was viewable on both Treo 650 and Outlook. Now that the info has synched into my 750, there are no equivelant fields so that info doesn't show up on the 750 (even though it shows up on my computer outlook contact entry.) Do I need to physically move all that info to another field to synch into my 750, or is their a way to alter the fields on the 750 to provide the info a place to go?

The other question is on the old 650 I kept alot of confidential info in the memos section as I could password protect any individual memo. Now, that info goes into Notes on Outlook, and there doesn't seem to be a way to lock individual notes on the 750. It's forcing me to password protect the entire phone which is a hassle as i have to unlock it everytime I want to use it. Is their anyway to password protect individual notes or the entire notes program?

Thanks for any help.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    I also recently upgraded and although I like my 750 my problem is when I am at home in Indonesia I can download and send emails. When I leave the country it won't connect with our company email server. I can take my SIM card out of the 750, insert it in my 650 and no problem with downloading emails. Tech support claims some security certificate on the mailserver needs to be activated, our IT guy just gives me a blank look and says there are no certificates required, also we do not use SSL on the mailserver. The local telecom checked my account and no problems with roaming for both GSM and GPRS. Anybody else run into this problem?
    [QUOTE=deadhead;1176966]On my Contacts, on the Palm OS, I utilized the "Custom Fields 1-4 at the end of the Treo Contacts entry field to place alot of info. When I began synching to Outlook instead of Palm Desktop, that info transferred on my computer Outlook Contacts into the "all fields" as "User Fields 1-4". So that info was viewable on both Treo 650 and Outlook. Now that the info has synched into my 750, there are no equivelant fields so that info doesn't show up on the 750 (even though it shows up on my computer outlook contact entry.) Do I need to physically move all that info to another field to synch into my 750, or is their a way to alter the fields on the 750 to provide the info a place to go?
    QUOTE]

I have the same issue.

Separately, on my Treos I often added text information after phone numbers for further clarification. For example, for a ski resort I might have a number for weather report, lodging, racing department, and racing instructor, and descriptive text following each number. Unfortunately the 750 cannot dial most (but strangely not all) of the numbers that have text after the number. I've posted this issue before and others have commented that the Palm Treos were maybe the only (or one of the few) that could actually dial numbers with text behind them.

Moving on to another issue, in the Today screen when you type a contact to dial, why doesn't the number for "Company" come up as an option to dial? Why do I have to open the contact up to see the number and dial it? Any way to fix this so that all the number fields you have for a contact are displayed when you look it up in Today?

Overall, I'm finding the switch from my 650 to the 750 a bit rough. The getting used to WM5 has been compounded by a couple of other problems such as phone call quality, dropped calls, inability to get DUN via USA working out of the box, lack of HSDPA. Seriously contemplating going back to my 650 and praying that a better solution comes out soon, but really need 3G now. BlackJack keyboard layout and its inability to capture my apparently speedy typing were deal brakers.
    Off to iPhone land...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12