Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I currently have a 680. I am thinking of switching to the 750 once it actually hits the stores.

How many of you are going to drop the 680 and switch to the 750?
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post
    I currently have a 680. I am thinking of switching to the 750 once it actually hits the stores.

I *was* going to drop the 680 and go for the 750 but now I think I am going to stick with the 680. Here are the reasons:

1. Screen resolution

2. Palm OS ( I have to admit that I really like it and know it )

3. Apps already investigated, purchased and satisfied with.

4. Many more apps available today.

5. SD Cards already purchased

6. Newer broadcomm radio in 680 is fast enough. (I admit it is not
    faster than 750 but it is a lot faster than 650)

These may not be reasons for you but you posed the question. I am providing a response.

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott View Post
    I *was* going to drop the 680 and go for the 750 but now I think I am going to stick with the 680. Here are the reasons:

1. Screen resolution

2. Palm OS ( I have to admit that I really like it and know it )

3. Apps already investigated, purchased and satisfied with.

4. Many more apps available today.

5. SD Cards already purchased

6. Newer broadcomm radio in 680 is fast enough. (I admit it is not
    faster than 750 but it is a lot faster than 650)

These may not be reasons for you but you posed the question. I am providing a response.

Good Luck!
    I'll second that!
    I'm facing the same question, but think I'll stick with the 680 also. My reasons are pretty much the same as ghiscott's.

The other reason is the 680 has higher capacity expansion card support (I already have a more than half full 4GB SDHC card)

G
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I never would purchase a 680 until the issues with the battery are solved. I know that the 750v shares the same battery but I have couple friends who have the 680 and are really desperate. Nothing to do with the 750v. With the 750v I can end the day, with the 680 you can barely finish the morning!
    It all really comes down to personal preference and needs. I myself, need a device that will do direct push email with my companies exchange environment. The 680 will not allow this. I also cannot stand the palm OS. I would love a 750 with a 320x320 screen though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    It all really comes down to personal preference and needs. I myself, need a device that will do direct push email with my companies exchange environment. The 680 will not allow this. I also cannot stand the palm OS. I would love a 750 with a 320x320 screen though.
    I respect that. I agree wholeheartedly that it is a personal choice. As for the battery issue, I have an AC converter at work and at home and a car lighter converter in the car. I am going to buy a second standard battery. I don't like the fat-back batteries offered by seidio.

But I agonized over the choice ( and wait ). With the recent license deal announced by Palmone and Access, I am feeling pretty good about things.

Have a happy new year and enjoy that 750 as much as I am the 680.
    I myself, need a device that will do direct push email with my companies exchange environment. The 680 will not allow this.
    If you speak out-of-the-box then I would agree. But I've been using ChatterEmail on both the 650 and now the 680 that happily does push email with my company's Exchange server (yes, true push, and not using IMAP) for some time now. Obviously, this wouldn't override your OS objection, but I thought it worth pointing out anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    If you speak out-of-the-box then I would agree. But I've been using ChatterEmail on both the 650 and now the 680 that happily does push email with my company's Exchange server (yes, true push, and not using IMAP) for some time now. Obviously, this wouldn't override your OS objection, but I thought it worth pointing out anyway...
    That wont work for me. OWA is tuned off on our firewalls. Chatter needs OWA to access the Exchange Database.
    question asked so i suppose i'll respond

680 is now back in box and the rma has been granted. palm os and the battery issue were not for me. i'll leave it at that!

regards
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    That wont work for me. OWA is tuned off on our firewalls. Chatter needs OWA to access the Exchange Database.
    Interesting. So how do you plan on gettng push email from WM? Uses the same public API...
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Interesting. So how do you plan on gettng push email from WM? Uses the same public API...
    You dont neccessarily need OWA for Direct Push. We have an ISA server the pushes through the ActiveSync protocol. I think OWA is needed for GAL access, but there is a workaround for that.

We have had this method is use for about 5 months now and it works great.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for the information everyone, I still do not know what I want to do. I do love the 680 and YES the battery is an issue. I will have to go check out a DEMO unit once they hit the store and see how and if I like it.

Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Exchange servers can be configured to run IMAPS, which will run direct push with chatter on any carrier. Of course, they (IT) may have that blocked at the firewall too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
    I never would purchase a 680 until the issues with the battery are solved. I know that the 750v shares the same battery but I have couple friends who have the 680 and are really desperate. Nothing to do with the 750v. With the 750v I can end the day, with the 680 you can barely finish the morning!
    Hmmm... it's 4:50 pm here and I still have 65% battery. I seem to have easily finished both the morning and the afternoon. I suspect the evening will be fine too. And, yes, I've been checking my email hourly, reading documents sent to me, downloaded a new version of googlemaps, etc.

With a 1200 mAh battery and a touch screen, I not sure why anyone would expect any better battery life.
    i will say this: the finish of the 750 is truly awesome. i love the grippy paint finish and i didn't think i would as much as i do. looks fantastic, now lets see if it works for me!

installing goodlink as i type
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    The soft touch paint is great.

Now someone go test the bluetooth on the Cingular version with a 2006 BMW!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Exchange servers can be configured to run IMAPS, which will run direct push with chatter on any carrier. Of course, they (IT) may have that blocked at the firewall too.
    Big time security hole. The IMAP service is shut down on the Exchange Servers. Besides, that will only allow you to sync email, not contacts, calendar, and tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post

I have a 680. Do not use it. Have not been able to get BT headsets to work with it.

750 is at least 3G. However, it has a low-res screen and does not have POS. Design is difficult but these "putz"s never seem to get it right. Cingular featured Blackjack in its ads on the BCS championship game tonight.

Once burned, twice shy.

Too bad.

Any offers for my 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The soft touch paint is great.

Now someone go test the bluetooth on the Cingular version with a 2006 BMW!
    Wow, you changed your avatar!

Wishful thinking on the BT fix I think. Seems the firmware # is the same as the old Cingular ROM, so my hopes are not up anymore. But I'll cross my fingers for you!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast