Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    many may know, today the cingular 750 will be released. my question is how many of you guys are thinking of switching?

first there is the $200 to get out of contract. ouch. this is a biggie for me. $200 is a lot right off the bat. is there any loop hole right now that can make this cheaper?
    second is the rate plans. didn't seem to be that great of voice plans. not bad on data though. is there anything like the sero plans out there?
    third and most important to me is gsm. is the gsm network up to par. I heard that there is a lot of static on the line. no analog mean no roaming which would mean more "no service". reguardless of the what thay say I have heard that gsm drops more calls than cdma?
    I realy like this 750. I know if I had a treo 600 or no treo at all it would be an easy choice, but what about from a 700w/wx?

how many others out there are as crazy as me? thinking about making the jump?

thanks, cody
    I'm leaving Cingular (ETF) for Sprint to get the 700wx... The 750 is nice, but I prefer the non-mini SD and better battery life of the 700wx... Cingular coverage has been very good where I have lived (S.Florida and N.Carolina)and voice quality is good... The only issue I have had is once in a while a call or 2 may not go through... Anyway, I don't see any real advantage of leaving the 700wx for the 750...
    Does Cingular offer any offer close to 30/mo SERO plan? If no, I'm not leaving. It does'nt seem like the change from 700WX to a 750 is an upgrade I'm seeking anyways.
    Palm Treo 700W with Verizon PDATP Plan.

Palm Treo 700WX w/ SERO plan

Love both
    Cody... I just don't know that the 750's attributes are worth jumping ship for, considering that the 700wx is such an able device... On the surface, just comparing one Treo to the other, I couldn't rationalize doing it, mostly because of all the costs you incur in doing so. But if service is more of your issue, and you think going to Cingular will help you in a day-to-day capacity, then it's a much different debate. If it were me, I'd be biding my time and waiting for the next Sprint Treo device to come out, presumably with some improvements like better BT stack, Rev. A, etc...

Not to say that the 750 isn't super cool, but I couldn't see doing it now, mostly for financial reasons. As I said, service is a whole other ballgame.
    END OF LINE
  5.    #5  
    well, the one thing that is killing me is the bt dialing. I work construction and loved being able to dial via buletooth and leave my phone in my pocket. specially when wearing coveralls. lol.

right now I would pay big buck for this again. it's not worth going back to the 6700 but maybe the 750. it's the little things that drive a person crazy.
    Is there a promise/known fact that BT for 750 will work better than 700W/WX? Just curious.
    Palm Treo 700W with Verizon PDATP Plan.

Palm Treo 700WX w/ SERO plan

Love both
  7.    #7  
    well, from the 750 side of tc, you see not nearly as many problems with it. it does have A2DP and does bt dialing. I don't recall seeing the bt drop problem that we have.
    I thought about making the change last night then woke up.
    My avatar say it all
    ill be leaving... i was orignally on cingular switched to wx because of all the crashes the 650 had i love the wx don't get me wrong but none of sprint mobile phones can do the media stuff i use on the daily so im going back home to cingular and the treo 750....
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    well, the one thing that is killing me is the bt dialing. I work construction and loved being able to dial via buletooth and leave my phone in my pocket. specially when wearing coveralls. lol.

right now I would pay big buck for this again. it's not worth going back to the 6700 but maybe the 750. it's the little things that drive a person crazy.
    Cody,

You might want to try the Jabra A120s Bluetooth Adapter for bt dialing:

Its only $50 and a hole lot cheaper than what it will cost you to switch. Its worth a shot.

http://www.hellodirect.com/hellodire...ycode=5JABRA02

I would love to have the treo 750, but I have three lines on sprint and it would be a houge hassel to have to switch all three.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske View Post
    Cody,

You might want to try the Jabra A120s Bluetooth Adapter for bt dialing:

Its only $50 and a hole lot cheaper than what it will cost you to switch. Its worth a shot.

http://www.hellodirect.com/hellodire...ycode=5JABRA02

I would love to have the treo 750, but I have three lines on sprint and it would be a houge hassel to have to switch all three.

i thought about that. looks like a pain in the ****. what do i do stick it to the back of my treo which then wouldn't fit in a case. and then plug it in all the time i want to use it and uplug it when i dont. thanks for the idea, but i couldn't do it.
    i'm also on the edge, the a2dp and added memory part is the big seller for me. I may however wait for the i760 due out 2nd quarter, not sure if I can deal with size of it though, but would make a workd of difference on my slingbox. Probably be lurking on the 750 forum for a week or 2 to see what issues crop up
    well, from the 750 side of tc, you see not nearly as many problems with it. it does have A2DP and does bt dialing. I don't recall seeing the bt drop problem that we have.
    So far you are right, as far as the BT, but the 750 has its own problems. I find the OS more stable on the wx. But you're right, no BT dropout for me so far. And VC over BT works fine.

-There are still BT limitations for car kits (BMW has been reported to have the exact same issues as the wx) so they didn't "update" BT, just hacked it to work with VC somehow.
    -A2DP works fine.
    -Slightly thinner, and EQUAL battery life (despite reports here, I find no difference in battery life with the standard batteries. Remember, GSM uses less power, hence the smaller batteries. The extended Seido for the 700, however, blows it away)
    -keyboard slightly smaller, SLIGHTLY, but I never noticed it while typing.
    -UMTS out-of-the-box, HSDPA available with a simple free hack. Speeds as fast as EV-DO, and voice/data simultaneously. This is a great feature. I find EV-DO more stable when using slingbox, because 3G coverage is spotty right now. In Queens it was great, but as I was driving to the island last night w/the Giant game on it got very choppy when I hit the edge areas out east.
    -Threaded app pre-installed. MMS works obviously, but I also got it to work with my 8525, leaving me to think the 700's MMS problem is due to CDMA somehow. Or the Sprint settings we have are wrong.
    -WX OS is much more stable IMO. Seems like I have to reset this thing MUCH more often than I did with the wx.
    -Cingular is VERY expensive. 40.00/month for PDA Internet alone. My bill is like 120/month. Something you def need to consider when jumping ship.
    -The new Cingular ROM is just thaat....NEW. It still remains to be seen what problems it will have (or won't have), so just like when the wx came out WE will be the testers. This is true of any device, sure, but before you jump ship out of a wx, make sure the device is running well.

Thats just a few things to consider before throwing out you're 700, IMO its worth switching from the w, since the phone is more powerful and the rates are similar to VZW. But for a wx owner, you should ask yourself one question:

"Is BT-VC and A2DP worth the price of a new phone and 30.00/month more?"
    Last edited by Pattycerts; 01/08/2007 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by larrysilver View Post
    i'm also on the edge, the a2dp and added memory part is the big seller for me. I may however wait for the i760 due out 2nd quarter, not sure if I can deal with size of it though, but would make a workd of difference on my slingbox. Probably be lurking on the 750 forum for a week or 2 to see what issues crop up
    The 760 is smaller than the 700w, only bigger when you slide out the keyboard. It's going to be a great device.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    So far you are right, as far as the BT, but the 750 has its own problems. I find the OS more stable on the wx. But you're right, no BT dropout for me so far. And VC over BT works fine.

-There are still BT limitations for car kits (BMW has been reported to have the exact same issues as the wx) so they didn't "update" BT, just hacked it to work with VC somehow.
    -A2DP works fine.
    -Slightly thinner, and EQUAL battery life (despite reports here, I find no difference in battery life with the standard batteries. Remember, GSM uses less power, hence the smaller batteries. The extended Seido for the 700, however, blows it away)
    -keyboard slightly smaller, SLIGHTLY, but I never noticed it while typing.
    -UMTS out-of-the-box, HSDPA available with a simple free hack. Speeds as fast as EV-DO, and voice/data simultaneously. This is a great feature. I find EV-DO more stable when using slingbox, because 3G coverage is spotty right now. In Queens it was great, but as I was driving to the island last night w/the Giant game on it got very choppy when I hit the edge areas out east.
    -Threaded app pre-installed. MMS works obviously, but I also got it to work with my 8525, leaving me to think the 700's MMS problem is due to CDMA somehow. Or the Sprint settings we have are wrong.
    -WX OS is much more stable IMO. Seems like I have to reset this thing MUCH more often than I did with the wx.
    -Cingular is VERY expensive. 40.00/month for PDA Internet alone. My bill is like 120/month. Something you def need to consider when jumping ship.
    -The new Cingular ROM is just thaat....NEW. It still remains to be seen what problems it will have (or won't have), so just like when the wx came out WE will be the testers. This is true of any device, sure, but before you jump ship out of a wx, make sure the device is running well.

Thats just a few things to consider before throwing out you're 700, IMP its worth switching from the w, since the phone is more powerful and the rates are similar to VZW. But for a wx owner, you should ask yourself one question:

"Is BT-VC and A2DP worth the price of a new phone and 30.00/month more?"
    nice post, but this is all with the hacked cingular rom on the 750v. hopefully we'll see a more stable os with the stock cingular rom.
    nice post, but this is all with the hacked cingular rom on the 750v. hopefully we'll see a more stable os with the stock cingular rom.
    I just found out yesterday that the Cingular ROM is the same one that was leaked months ago, with the same issues. We'll see, too early to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    The 760 is smaller than the 700w, only bigger when you slide out the keyboard. It's going to be a great device.
    with that big touchscreen and slider design, I fear for the battery life of the 760. but it's a very cool design.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    i'm also on the edge, the a2dp and added memory part is the big seller for me.
    what added memory ?
    added memory from the 700w (program memory) as my 700 never has enough.
    On the i760, using the i730 as the reference point, it is much bulkier than my 700w, but I am going to wait and see, what vzw does to it, I did not get the i730 cause I wanted the camera, which they took out of the vzw one. I got the 700w the only real dislikes I have on the treop is the missing a2dp and the program memory. I take a 1.5 hour train rideto and from work every day, and I like to watch tv and listen to music. I hate the wires. I got the 3200 seido battery so I would not run out of power. I wish they would just put out a rom update......
    Sticking with the WX... no way I would ever switch over to Cingular and a few cosmetic changes are not worth it. Plus I have my threaded sms and mms on my WX... No real point to make the jump.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast