Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    nice pics. although it looks like it is too mush touch screen. like the 6700 vs wx, it's nice to have keypad. specially for dialing.

I know the 6700 had a keypad but what a pain in the ***.

I have made up my mind and i'm sticking with sprint. I can't beat the deal with the plan I got and service is good. I just hope thay give us a good rom update.
    If it ever comes with broadband access it would be something to consider. No, WiFi doesn't cut it. I'd like to see how well it works to enter text on the display.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I agree WiFi simply doesnt cut it. I think basically everybody would agree that pretty much the only place we would use WiFi would be at our own house.
    With Sprint's recent press release about Wimax, there's no way I'll switch to Cingular, they're just rolling out EVDO comparable speeds, and Sprint is laying the ground work for WiMax and hybrid iDen/CDMA handsets.

The iPhone is nice and all, but it's not comparable to a smart phone or PDA, it's more a target to the ipod/RAZR crowd. (and personally I know without "home" buttons to type with I'll crash while TXTing on a touch screen :/ )

I'm glad the 750 is out, it can only mean more market share for Palm, more user's, more apps, more tweaks, etc. But having left Sprint once in the last 8 months for VZW/Samsung i830, I've come running back home to Sprint and I'm staying.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I am just going to wait for the wx to come out with Verizon. I like the coverage I get better than Sprint and Cingular. Plus it help when a company pays for the phone bill. By the way, has anyone heard any updates on wx fr Verizon? Sorry to get off topic.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    The Iphone is definitely a nice looking device. However it's not user friendly ( from my perspective)... I am extremely happy with the 700wx, and cant see myself getting anything new for some time......

Props to Apple for making a sleek looking machine.. I guess time will tell how well the Iphone performs in the real world....
    The 700wx is a fantastic device. I wish Sprint had better coverage, but they dont, so I had to return to Verizon after my Sprint test drive.

I would see no need to change carriers just to lose the Antena and half an ounce of weight.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Anyone thinking about making the switch has a few things to think about... As someone who switched from a 700w on VZW to a 750 on Cingular I'll share a few problems, likes and dislikes, I have discovered...

My biggest issue, UTMS/HSDPA availability…

I live/work in Houston and Cingular has UTMS/HSDPA deployed here so I've had a chance to play with that on the 750. I did do the HSDPA hack on the 750 just to see what type of speeds I could get and they where extremely fast, upwards of 850-900kbps but very very inconsistent. With just UTMS I was getting around 300-350. However when HSDPA does work, it’s pretty awesome. It’s faster then EVDO and the ability to do voice and data at the same time is a huge plus. One very annoying thing I noticed with UTMS is when I had a weak signal (1 to 2 bars) I got a lot of dropped calls. The phone seems to jump in and out of UTMS reverting back to GSM/GPRS all the time, even in the middle of a call. When this happens of course the call drops! GSM coverage in Houston is great so when on a GSM call I usually have no issues what so ever. However with GSM there is that annoying feedback issue when your device gets to close to electronic audio devices, pretty much anything with speakers gives you this annoying feedback buzzzzz sound. Those familiar with GSM know what I’m talking about. So it would appear at least in Houston that the UTMS network or 3G towers are not as dense as GSM/GPRS. I'm sure this will improve over time but never the less the UTMS/GSM call signal reverting/drop issue is extremely annoying and inconvenient. As Cingular’s UTMS overlay/build out continues I’m sure this will become much less of an issue.

The device...

The 750 it self has some weird buggy issues, go take a look in the 750 forum for the details. In short here are a few... There are issues with no audio from the device. All of a sudden the device produces no audio whatsoever, no ringing, no text/email alerts, no WM5 navigation clicks, etc. The only way to fix this is a soft reset. I have noticed this the most when switching out of silent mode with the button on top of the phone. It’s like the phone doesn’t realize you've placed it back into noise maker mode. This is a rare bug but has happened several times in the 10 days I’ve had the phone. Keep in mind I have been doing all my testing on a standard no 3rd party apps installed Cingular ROM with the HSDPA hack removed (I did a hard reset to do most of the testing). Also the device will vibrate endlessly sometimes plugging it into the wall charger. The menus are a little slower on the 700w, but on a good note the screen is much brighter and text seems clearer.

Since the 750 has a 1200mh battery you do have shorter battery life. During my testing I did enable direct push/exch active sync and it dramatically affected battery life, when compared to the 700w (granted it as an 1800mh battery). I also did battery testing with a completely default 750 with no direct push enabled and the battery falls well short of claimed standby times. There is a thread over in the 750 forum where someone with insider info has claimed that Palm has admitted to battery issues with the device, no word on a fix though.

The switch to miniSD is lame because I have to buy a new memory card :-) Also I hate the little memory door, it esp. sucks if you want to use the miniSD wifi card. The door has to just sit there hanging off looking all weird because the miniSD wifi card doesn’t sit flush in the slot.

So what is neat/cool about the 750? (When compared to a 700w)

1. Real threaded SMS with working MMS,
    2. In texts and emails you can now use the D-pad to place your cursor anywhere and edit your message
    3. One-handed navigation folder switching in Pocket Outlook
    4. Voice command over Bluetooth works flawlessly (I have a Sony Ericsson HBH-660)
    5. Overall Bluetooth support/usability is much better and seems to pair faster
    6. When switching to vibrate mode with the button on the top you get a short vibrate confirmation
    7. The keyboard backlight is synced to the screen brightness
    8. No antenna
    9. The device is lighter and does feel smaller then the 700 line
    10. Ability to do voice and data at the same time via UTMS/HSDPA
    11. A lot more program memory room, roughly 30MB after a soft reboot.

Honestly though I'm not sure these things are enough for me to keep the device and Cingular. At least with VZW I could always count on the phone portion of the 700w. I rarely ever had phone issues... I got great signal strength at home and work really everywhere I went with the 700w. Also it might be just me but voice quality does seem a little better on VZW/CMDA.

I have 3 weeks left in my 30 day trail with Cingular so I'm not quite sure what I'll do yet but going back to VZW and waiting for a 700WX is looking more and more attractive.
  9.    #49  
    nice write up. thanks
    Really great - thanks for the input. I wasn't even considering switching, but it was cool to hear all of that stuff. I was definitely curious as to what user experience was going to show us around here.
    END OF LINE
    I have signed up with Cingular because I was curious about the 750 as it seems very promising. I currently have a sero plan with Nextel for voice and its been great. I don't like using a pda like device for a phone and I was interested in a rugged flip just for a phone and a smartphone for data/email only. I was with Verizon for a while using the 700w and 650 prior to that so I'm pretty familiar with all the bugs and kinks. The 700w was a great device not counting the lack of memory. Not to get off topic, I signed up with Cingular a week ago to try the 750 and returned it over the weekend, but here's my one week experience.

Since I wanted a data only, its $45 for unlimited data connect. Its only $40 IF you sign up for a voice plan as well. As many have said in the past, media connect for $20 works on the Treo, but again, its an add-on and cannot be ordered without a voice plan. So the $45 a month data is pretty hard to swallow. By the way, for those that don't know this, only T-mo and Cingular will allow you to sign up for data only, VZW and Sprint will not allow you to do this. My first impression is the new design is very nice, I especially love the rubberish feel of the device as there is a much better grip and just looks better. I don't really care if it has the antenna or not, but one great feature for me was that I can just pop the mini-sd door open and soft reset. One major annoying feature of the 700w was that you had to move the battery door in order to do this. The device DOES feel a tad smaller and lighter than the 700 and looks more business oriented. I do like the vibrate confirmation it gives you when you move the silent switcher on. Other than that, its pretty much the same on the outside.

Threaded sms is such a nice feature that I believe EVERY single phone should have it whether or its a pda or regular cell. The amount of memory is def. a plus. Just the fact that you're using it and not constantly worrying about whether or not you have enough memory is enough to jump from the 700w to this device. But I'm curious as to why it still has less RAM than then 700wx. I don't use it as a music player so the a2dp is a non issue to me. I can't test out the bluetooth because I didn't use it for voice. I did however applied the HSDPA hack and it works great. BUT and this is a major BUT. Its very inconsistent. I can stand in the EXACT same spot and get various dslreport results. I can get a speed of 800kbps and than get 300kbps immediately on the 2nd test, not sure why. I do believe when I had EVDO with the 700w, it was very consistent. But the number 1 reason why I returned the device was actually not the device itself, but the coverage. In my home, I get no UMTS coverage, only EDGE even though when checking the map, it shows complete 3G coverage. To me, paying $45 a month for data and $5 for just 200 sms and only get EDGE with a UMTS/HSDPA capable device in my home area where I spent the most amount of time is unacceptable. I am currently in the process of getting a sero plan with Sprint where for only $30 a month, I get 500 minutes, nights starting at 7pm, AND unlimited data usage. I don't need the voice plan, but if I can get an extra 500 minutes AND pay $20 less a month AND get EVDO speed in my area, I'm not going to reject it.

My conclusion is that if you're coming from a 700w, its def. worth at least looking into the 750 as a replacement, BUT if you already have the 700wx, then the changes are mostly cosmetic and considering how much Cingular is charging, it makes this a no brainer. Just my .02
    Last edited by Outrigger; 02/12/2007 at 09:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Ah, you actually want a post that is on topic I see.

Ok, well for me here are my reasons for getting a 750 (if it ever ships).

1) built in working a2dp so that I can use my headphones without using a dongle. I also will be using it in my car to play music and slingplayer through my car stereo without having to mess with wires.

2) bluetooth voice dialing. I'm tired of having bluetooth issues such as bluetooth randomly turning off and the total lack of support for pda audio over a bt headset.

3) Having an HTC built gsm device means that a lot of good tools and tweaks from xda-developers will work. Lots of expertise there to take advantage of.

4) Palms patch for sms on the 700wx causes serious issues with bluetooth getting into such a state that only a hard reset can fix it. Not sure if it is a conflict between the ripped sms app and the patch or not, but the 750 will not have that problem.

5) HSDPA speeds with simulaneous voice and data sure is nice.

6) The price was right at $149.99, although Amazon might screw me over and reprice it before it ships.
    hannip:
    Well... you have had both now for some time. I was wondering if you could share if your expectations have been met? Etc.
    Thanks very much.
    Jeff
    I had the 750V from Vodaphone unlocked (on T-Mobile) and it was an OK model. I have subsequently switched to the 700wx on Verizon.

I don't know how fast it surfs the internet but I really like the speed the my 700wx surfs using ev-do. That was the deciding factor for me.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    hannip:
    Well... you have had both now for some time. I was wondering if you could share if your expectations have been met? Etc.
    Thanks very much.
    Jeff
    i've been woundering the same thing hannip. what are you using now. and what is your "up to date" review of the 2? with all the hacks included.
    im going with the 8703e
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo700wxguy View Post
    im going with the 8703e
    so i guess your not the "treo700wxguy". lol.

i never understood why people would want to pay 40 some bucks a month just for push email. i save like 29 bucks a month and have push email and a lot more apps. just as stable. i had two bb's and will never go back.

to each his own. good luck bb8703eguy (aka Treo700wxguy)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    hannip:
    Thanks very much.
    Jeff
    Well I'm still using the 700wx. My 750 is basically just a test unit at this time until WM6 update comes along.

Here are my comments on my comments.

1) built in working a2dp so that I can use my headphones without using a dongle. I also will be using it in my car to play music and slingplayer through my car stereo without having to mess with wires.
    This issue was solved with my a2dp cab install. A2DP works better on my 700wx now than on the 750.

2) bluetooth voice dialing. I'm tired of having bluetooth issues such as bluetooth randomly turning off and the total lack of support for pda audio over a bt headset.
    The A2DP cab install fixed the random bluetooth turning off issue for me. And my Jabra BT8010 takes care of PDA audio over a headset. Also I use JETware's handsfree extension to allow me to enable voice command by using my bt headset. I don't need to touch my treo to call, but commands still have to be spoken to the treo and voice plays through the treo. It works ok since the mic on the treo is very sensitive and picks up my voice without being close to the handset. This is really the only limitation left on the 700wx where the 750 is better.

3) Having an HTC built gsm device means that a lot of good tools and tweaks from xda-developers will work. Lots of expertise there to take advantage of.
    This is still true, but hasn't really been much of an advantage for the 750 so far.

4) Palms patch for sms on the 700wx causes serious issues with bluetooth getting into such a state that only a hard reset can fix it. Not sure if it is a conflict between the ripped sms app and the patch or not, but the 750 will not have that problem.
    This has also been solved by the A2DP cab install. This was a major issue for me and I'm glad it's gone.

5) HSDPA speeds with simulaneous voice and data sure is nice.
    As it turns out I can only get HSDPA speeds for about 10 miles during my commute. I don't have it available at home or in my building at work. Sprint has very good EVDO signal everywhere I am and it's way cheaper.

6) The price was right at $149.99, although Amazon might screw me over and reprice it before it ships.
    I did get an awesome price of $99 for the 750, but the monthly payment is way more than Sprint's.
    Sprints to good of a deal to give up for the gsm version of the 750.
    Wimax is the future,Sprint will own it and there customers will enjoy it at fair pricing.Oh yeah the wm6 version of the 750 will be in sprints lineup later in the year hmmm will it be wimax compatible.....more then likely yes .Palms times almost up for there break through device.Sprint cant make it anymore simple for them to pick up the ball and sell more treo's.
    A colleague at my office made the switch; then had three 750's fail in as many weeks. Odd stuff; the screen would go white, or the whole thing would just die. Of course at that point he's stuck in his new Cingular contract. He got the 8125 this week and is content. Not happy, but content.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Wimax is the future...

SIP is on the Horizon. The next 3-4 years will be interesting.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast