Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am thinking about getting a Slingbox for my 700WX. I see that they have the original, the Tuner, the AV, and the Pro editions. I am planning on using this mainly for my Treo 700WX and sometimes for PC's not located at my house. I will not be using it to stream video to my home PC's. Which should I get? I am planning on controlling my SA 4200HD Cablevision box. Thanks for any help.
    I have the Pro, it rox. However I really needed to have the separate Coax input to go along with the composite input (Tivo) so I wouldn't interrupt my roommate watching TV. If you only need one source just get the AV. The Tuner is out if you want to control a cable box.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    I got the AV for Christmas getting S-Video from a DCT6412 (Comcast/TWC) DVR box. Agree Tuner is too basic and thought the Pro was overkill for my needs.

It is as awesome as people say it is. Installation was extremely easy and straight-forward. Most wizard-based things are more like a wizard-wannabe apprentice, but not Slings. It punched a whole through the router ports automatically and worked first time.

Only problem I had was my own fault configuring a wireless printer server/bridge I used to connect the Sling to the home network. When they say it's important to get the security settings matched perfectly, they mean it. My bad was not noticing the p/s was originally configured for 64bit encryption and not 128 like the gateway. Once that was fixed, everything was perfect.

I've tried both wired and wireless (802.11b) to my network and both result in equal quality - consistent 25-30fps and very watchable even when run in near full screen.

www.slingcommunity.com is a good forum which quite a bit of useful installation/configuration info. Only problem I have left to resolve is an incompatibility with resolution formats between the DVR box and what my Sammy DLP will take on the component inputs when the DVR outputs the DVR/menu/OnDemand menu overlays. Word I got is that a later version of the DCT6412 outputs the menus on all output formats, so that should fix it.

Needless to say, I also want them to release the 700p player soon as well
    Last edited by tomvb2000; 01/05/2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: one more thing
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    so is slingbox streamed in real time? and also can more than 1 Treo connect to the slingbox at the same time?
    i would and did get the classic. it does what the pro does as far as being able to hook up dvd, dvr, vcr, ect. the only big difference is in how it strems to another lan line computer. this means if you have slingbox hooked up downstairs in the family room, sally could stream a larger pixel, better, fast, picture.

if this is just for a remote connection, like on you wx, i would save your money and get the classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjun View Post
    so is slingbox streamed in real time? and also can more than 1 Treo connect to the slingbox at the same time?
    Only one sling sofware can be run on one machine at a time. You also have to buy mobile (treo version), which I had to buy 2 since we have 2 treo's in my household. Note that when you register a sling mobile to a phone, you can't use register the code on different phone. If you get a new phone, you must email sling media to get a new code for new phone.
    Palm Treo 700W with Verizon PDATP Plan.

Palm Treo 700WX w/ SERO plan

Love both
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I am using Slinbox Classic.
    It runs great on both my laptop and 700w.

From what I heard is this.

IF you just want to connect it to your cablebox and watch it remotely via your laptop/pc or PDAPhone (Treo), the Classic will be enough.

IF You would like to connect it to various other devices and do more complex stuff with it, then the newer Slingbox may be for you.

In short, the resolution & quality when you do remote viewing for ANY of the SlingBox are practically the same.

I got my Slingbox Classic from a BestBuy near me for $129.99
    It was marked $199 I think and when they scanned it it showed as $129.99.
    It even states $129.99 in the BestBuy Website.

PS:
    Sling Media Mobile has a 30day trial.
    So you can try it before you buy it.
    Last edited by Kilim; 01/06/2007 at 09:46 AM.
    Couple of things to note about the Classic vs. New Slings:

1. The new Slings are supposed to have 300-400% improved video quality, according to the website. If this is true I would think the Classic would be almost unwatchable...that's why I think it's mostly an exaggeration.
    2. The Classic will soon no longer be supported (ie no new firmware updates). You can get the Tuner for $110 on Amazon using Google checkout last I heard.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    All the comments are right on. I would just add that after buying a Pro at Best Buy, I've purchased additional units at drastically reduced prices off Craiglist.

These were gifts and the people didn't really 'get it', just didn't see a need, or thought they were too complex (which they aren't really).

Anyway, I put an AV I bought new in box for $50 on the DVR in the guest room at my daughter's house. That TV is rarely watched, and now I have all the premium channels free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    The new Slings are supposed to have 300-400% improved video quality, according to the website. If this is true I would think the Classic would be almost unwatchable...that's why I think it's mostly an exaggeration.
    Did some research:
    The Slingbox A/V streams over LAN at 640x480, capturing every nuance of the original source while streaming over your home network. This resolution is double that of the original Slingbox, which was capped at 640x240 in-network, and 320x 240 when viewing remotely. When connecting from a remote location, the AV streaming resolution falls back to a more conservative 320 x 240, which requires less upstream bandwidth.

Remote performance isnít much different than the original Slingbox.
    So the large percentage increase they claim matches the new pixel density for in-home streaming only. Just saying, I honestly think the Classic is the one to get unless you need the capabilites of the Pro. I have the SB controlling my digital cable box today, but I don't want to get a new one if I one day plan on hooking up an analog line into it.

*unless you plan on doing in-home streaming! I can testify that in home streaming is pretty crappy, the 320x240 even at high bitrates doesn't look very good. But I never need this, I only ever use slingbox remotely.
    Bingo, for remote viewing the classic and all of the new slingboxes are identical in resolution and video quality. That's why I've been suggesting to get a deal on the classic's while they are still available. Unless you plan on slinging on your local lan then the new slingbox pro will be the one to get.
    I agree that getting multiple classics for homes with lots people wanting to view remotely is a good, cost effective idea. I have the classic, use it remotely over 95% of the time, and quite happy with it.
    I think it's important to note that you can get an AV for little more than a classic these days and the classic will only be supported with updates for a limited time. That was what sealed it for me...the cost difference is so negligible.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I purchased the classic long before it was classic LOL. For me, the extra input options are nice. If my TiVo is recording something I don't want to watch, I can switch over to the built-in tuner and watch TV there. I'm not too worried about the lack of updates since I'm extremely pleased with it as it sits.
    If you have a dual tuner cable box/dvr (the motorola one that you get with comcast if you pay for the DVR service), can you control one of the tuners while someone watching tv controls the other, to avoid changing the channel remotely for someone in front of the TV?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Scottymomo - I haven't found a way to do that although it would be very, very handy. In fact, I don't know if it's possible to do that with the Comcast remote either (and therefore not via Sling). It seems the other tuner is there mainly to be able to record one channel while watching another. I suppose it would be used for PIP as well, but that's not a DVR feature I use (do it via the DLP).
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Scottymomo - I haven't found a way to do that although it would be very, very handy. In fact, I don't know if it's possible to do that with the Comcast remote either (and therefore not via Sling). It seems the other tuner is there mainly to be able to record one channel while watching another. I suppose it would be used for PIP as well, but that's not a DVR feature I use (do it via the DLP).
    Thx...will investigate if I end up getting one...

I'll do some investigation on my own as well and let you know anything I find.
    Went through the DCT6412 DVR and remote control manuals and searched the Slingbox forums, but couldn't find anything. I posted a question to both Slingbox and Comcast forums to see if anyone knows. If you want to follow along, the links are
    Comcast
    SlingCommunity
    cool, thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast