Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

Does anyone know if on Monday the 8th, Palm will be putting up an unlocked version of the 750? And if so, how much might it cost?

Thanks so much,

medician
    Bump. I want to know this as well.
    Bump. Me three.
    I just spoke to the palm sales dept, they told me the 750 phone is only available in europe and that the phone does not have a release date as of yet and also that cingular wouldn't post a sale date on the 750 before palm would. Talk about some runaround going on here.
    uhhhh hu....just like with the 680
    You won't get a straight answer from Palm, so don't waste your time.

If they tell you it will be available Monday, then Cingular delays launch AGAIN for some reason, Palm will have to delay also. Now they have lied. Not gonna happen.

Cingular may also have a "US" exclusive for a little while anyway, and Palm may not have an unlocked ready yet, since T-Mobile will use a different frequency for 3G anyway. No such problems with Cing's 3G.
    My guess is that it'll cost $649.
    Can an owner of the unlocked Vodaphone 750v use the Cingular ROM or does it make sense to just wait for the Vodaphone ROM update or an update for an unlocked 750? I am with Rogers in Canada,
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    Can an owner of the unlocked Vodaphone 750v use the Cingular ROM or does it make sense to just wait for the Vodaphone ROM update or an update for an unlocked 750? I am with Rogers in Canada,
    you can use whatever rom you want...all you need to make sure is that the phone is unlocked..I'm on rogers as well

I'm waiting for a factory unlocked model...just like with my Treo 650

Funny the Treo 650 factory unlocked (and cingular version) was dual launched at the beginning of february 2005...small world eh lol
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo View Post
    you can use whatever rom you want...
    You are making the (perhaps "ok") assumption that the Vodaphone 750v has the exact same hardware as the Cingular 750. Or, that the model-specific software (sometimes referred to as the "BSP") is flexible enough to adapt to the differences.

I wouldn't purchase the Vodaphone 750v in advance assumming that - certainly not with the immenent release of the Cingular (and unlocked directly from Palm) model(s).
    If this will be a Cingular exclusive, then you probably have to wait a while before the unlocked version comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    If this will be a Cingular exclusive, then you probably have to wait a while before the unlocked version comes out.
    Cingular has an "exclusive" on the 680 but Palm still sells the unlocked versions. No other carrier has a branded 680 so its still "exclusive." But I wonder how the announcement will go tomorrow. We should know tomorrow evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    You are making the (perhaps "ok") assumption that the Vodaphone 750v has the exact same hardware as the Cingular 750. Or, that the model-specific software (sometimes referred to as the "BSP") is flexible enough to adapt to the differences.

I wouldn't purchase the Vodaphone 750v in advance assumming that - certainly not with the immenent release of the Cingular (and unlocked directly from Palm) model(s).
    my bad...i never thought about that
    Thanks all, I already have the Vodaphone 750v at a cost of $900 CDN, so I dont think I will shell out more for a Palm offered 750. I was having some call problems with my 750v lately, and since I bought it from an online retailer, I was not sure if I could get it fixed. I did a hard reset and that seems to have fixed the problem, I guess I accumulated lots of crap, adding and removing software. I saw a post somewhere that stated that Palm was going to be releasing an update for the 750v sometime in January, so looking forward to that.

It will be very interesting seeing the reviews and comments from Cingular and Palm branded unlocked 750 owners as right now there is very little going on in this forum given that there are a small number of the Vodaphone model on this site.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Cingular has an "exclusive" on the 680 but Palm still sells the unlocked versions. No other carrier has a branded 680 so its still "exclusive." But I wonder how the announcement will go tomorrow. We should know tomorrow evening.
    You are right about that. I misread the delay on the actual availability of the unlocked 680 due to Cingular's exclusivity.
    i'm assuming US only and not North America correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo View Post
    i'm assuming US only and not North America correct?
    you never really know....but it hasn't been confirmed that Cingular even has an exclusive. Anyways, its not like any other carrier in the US can really use it; T-Mobile's 3G is completely different.
    you never really know....but it hasn't been confirmed that Cingular even has an exclusive. Anyways, its not like any other carrier in the US can really use it; T-Mobile's 3G is completely different.
    Do I undertand this last statement correctly: that a Cingular branded 750 will be unusable to T-Mo users?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Do I undertand this last statement correctly: that a Cingular branded 750 will be unusable to T-Mo users?
    I mean that T-Mobile can't use the 3G. Of course, users can still use the device with the GSM/GPRS/EDGE radio.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast