Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I just got a new 700w and someone told me about google maps. I can't seem to see how to access it after I do the 'download.
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer540ia View Post
    I just got a new 700w and someone told me about google maps. I can't seem to see how to access it after I do the 'download.
    You have to launch it from the download, not from the ibm java applet.
    A better question might be, why bother with it when windows live is so much better?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    OK thanks,
    Where do I go to get this?
    just go to wls.live.com on your browswer, and download the version for Pocket PC. It is AWESOME. You'll never look back.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    what does windows live search have to do with google maps?
    welllll....the original poster wanted to use Google maps on his device, and there is no native Google maps app for Windows Mobile, so we're telling him to use the Windows Live Search app as an alternative (and much better, in my opinion).

Make sense?
    Because windows live search has a very good mapping application built in to it.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    True or not true:

Windows Live Search can pinpoint an address on a map?

(If yes, can anyone tell me how?)
    It cant handle address (Or not that i know of.) But it can pinpoint on a map small towns, large towns, etc. Then you can shift around the area to find your desired address. If you understand what i mean.

I use it like this;

1.Open up the application and and click on the "Select New Location" Link.
    2.Enter the city or town of the area in which your address is located in.
    3.Press find, and when it has found the location hit "Done"
    4.Now open up the Map portion of the application, and given a rough knowledge of the area you should be able to find your location pretty quickly, even if you dont it dosnt take that long.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    thanks for the info.. in all honestly, that blows. In New York City I need to know the intersection of an address, and I can get there by subway or whatever.

I'm hoping MS will include that in the future, till then it will have to be google maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    True or not true:

Windows Live Search can pinpoint an address on a map?

(If yes, can anyone tell me how?)
    Yes, you just select the address into the slot above choose new location. If you haven't entered the address before you click on choose new location. There is no integration with contact lookup like virtualearth, however. When you hit the map button after typing in the address your address is centered on the map. There is no pushpin shown.
    Is there any way at all to run Google Maps from a Window's based Treo? Would the Java version work?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Everytime I try to run the Google maps I get an error "Missing application to run from"?

Here is where I got the maps. http://www.google.com/gmm/treo
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc View Post
    Is there any way at all to run Google Maps from a Window's based Treo? Would the Java version work?
    yes google maps work on the w/wx. with java http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=google+maps

windows live uses google maps, so this is better once you figure out how to use it.

two other links to map threads are...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=google+maps

and

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=google+maps

these were both started before the release of windows mobile live.

search and you will find alot of happy people using windows mobile live. alot of them switched for google maps. including me. but who am i?