Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    One of the main reasons I wanted to have a Windows Mobile Treo was the fact of multitasking. I have always owned PalmOS devices and felt very curious about it. However, I have found myself that I rarely run two programs at the same time. Can someone give me good examples of multitasking on their Treos?
    Aside from playing music in the background, I think multi-tasking on a small device is over rated. However, I do find use for "accidental" multitasking.

For example:

I'm browsing a webpage and an alert comes up with new email. I read the email and delete or respond. Close email and I'm right back where I was in the browser. No switching to the browser, reloading the webpage, etc... Very handy but not what most people think of when multi-tasking.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    That's what I was afraid of. What I haven't tried yet is to switch of application while backing up for example
    I'm not sure I would do that. You don't want data changing while backing up. I know that Sprite Backup stops other processes while it is running.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Never mind. You're right
    I really like bcaslis' term, "accidental multitasking". That describes it very accurately, based on my experience.

Coincidentally, today was the first time I found myself trying to use "intentional multitasking". I had a phone number emailed to me, couldn't manage to cut-and-paste it, so instead I switched back and forth between mail and the phone app to type in the number. Result? The phone app locked up and I had to do a soft reset to get it back.

Given all this, the value I place on multitasking on my mobile phone/PDA is pretty low at this point.
    How about downloading email, listening to music via A2DP, browsing the internet, and having a couple apps like Resco explorer or a plethora of other apps open?

If that isn't multitasking, I don't know what is.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
    One of the main reasons I wanted to have a Windows Mobile Treo was the fact of multitasking. I have always owned PalmOS devices and felt very curious about it. However, I have found myself that I rarely run two programs at the same time. Can someone give me good examples of multitasking on their Treos?
    Don't take this as a lecture or anything, because that's not my style, but you just got this device. TAKE TIME, and get to know it. All your posts have been real negative today, and if your pre-determined assumptions of wm f=don't change you will post an "I'M BACK" thread in the Palm section bashing a phone you never even maximized. Here are some starter tips I can think of off-hand, these are some things I do after a hard reset:

So to Start-Settings. Poke away at everything in there. Get some MP3 ringtones (no more than 30 secs each, use a free splitter). Just cutomize your device.

Install:
    Windows Live Search Beta.
    An IM client, I use IM+, but you can probably find a free one.
    TodayAgenda, a good freeware that makes your calendar today plugin 100 times cleaner.
    Any games that you like, perhaps even an ebook reader (ereader is a good free one I use).
    weatherpanel is a good free program if you feel the need for it; I stopped using it a few months ago.
    Logmein, remote terminal service client, if you are comfortable with doing it.
    TCPMP for videos is a nice free upgrade for certain video formats.
    Install ORB on your computer and bookmark "my.orb.com" in PIE. EVERY SONG /VIDEO on your PC is readily available on your phone 24/7- as long as your PC is up and running. If you buy a headphone jack adapter and a tape adapter or fm transmitter you can listen to it in your car too. If you are more of a "commuter" than a driver than invest in some good headphones. Dont get BT headphones yet until you are convinced WM is a good fit for you.

Now for thenot-so-free:
    Slingbox, slingbox, slingbox. It will BLOW YOUR MIND!
    I like Pocket Quicken, so I can enter purchases on the road and just sync w/PC

Winodws Mobile is MUCH more complex than Palm OS. Some people consider that a bad thing, but I am not one of them. Some people just want to click and go with everything, but the more features you add to an OS/device, the more programming you need to go with it. Hence the multitasking issues with UMTS. And speaking of the original topic, here is what is so great about it:

Without it, you cannot get high-speed Internet on a GSM device.

That's good enough for me
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    @ Littlepad: I have no more words to add, thanks for your wise advices. However, I have probably transmitted a negative attitude towards the Treo and WM, and I can grant you that in revenge, I am pretty much impressed with the performance of this combo. I just needed a few hours to get convinced that the 750v would be my main smartphone and since I took that decision I am very glad I took it. Thanks to posts like yours I am learning to get the most of the Treo
    I use multi-tasking every morning at work. Every morning I have a hand over meeting of the events of the previous day, which I record in labeled notes files. The hand over takes about 1 hour, and is often interrupted by telephone calls and other things. While taking notes using the notes app, i usually have Pocket IE running at the same time, open on some site, like TreoCentral for example.

Because of multi-tasking, I can switch at a moment's notice between typing an entry and reading a web page, and back again, all without losing my place either in the note or the web page. I could start a 200 KB web page downloading and go back to the note, and when I return to the web page its downloaded and rendered already.

I am not sure of this has been fixed yet, but many years ago, when I used PalmOS, when I left a note, and I returned to the note app my note would be closed, and i would be at the category list. That is extremely irritating, especially when you are cutting and pasting.

I believe blazer does remember your web page, but not your position in it, and has to re-render the page the next time you return to it. Working like that would frustrate me immensely.

Another small example is Pocket Informant. Pocket Informant is a pretty hefty app, with a significant load time. I leave it running constantly, so that its always instantly available, instead of taking 2-5 seconds to load every time I want to enter an appointment.

Of course you can have slingplayer mobile running in the background. If you were not multi-tasking you would have to re-negotiate your connection every time, which again takes 10 seconds each time.

In short, multi-tasking suites me very well, as it allows me to jump in and out of a task without losing my state, and much more reliably than the state saving pseudo-multi-tasking that is used in PalmOS, and much more stably than the cooperative multi-tasking such as with pocket tunes and versa-mail.

Surur
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I am not sure of this has been fixed yet, but many years ago, when I used PalmOS, when I left a note, and I returned to the note app my note would be closed, and i would be at the category list. That is extremely irritating, especially when you are cutting and pasting.

I believe blazer does remember your web page, but not your position in it, and has to re-render the page the next time you return to it. Working like that would frustrate me immensely.
    Yup, that remains the same and now I have tried Windows Mobile just can't stand when I switch from app to app in my LifeDrive. That's a complete waste of time...
    during commercials on my slingplayer I'll download/view my RSS feeds, check my email or IM real quickly all while "listening" for the commercial to end and hop right back.

i freakin' love doing that.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Multitasking on the small screen isn't the same as on the big screen ie. computers. It's nice being able to multitask with WM, but like Amstel I find I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I like the "accidental multitasking" phrase that fits. When I do "multitask" on my 700wx or Dash I am happy that I don't lose my place like I do with my 700p.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    How about downloading email, listening to music via A2DP, browsing the internet, and having a couple apps like Resco explorer or a plethora of other apps open?
    But having Resco explorer and the plethora of other apps open isn't much use if you can only see and use one of them at a time

If PalmOS could remember the state of each app when you switched then it would be as good as multitasking for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    during commercials on my slingplayer I'll download/view my RSS feeds, check my email or IM real quickly all while "listening" for the commercial to end and hop right back.

i freakin' love doing that.
    That was the thing I missed the most when I upgraded my 700w to AKU2. When an sms or email would come in while watching my slingplayer I couldn't go read them or the OS would kill the slingplayer. With the wx I worry not. I sling or listen to sirius all the time while browsing, texting and reading emails at the same time no problems. very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    But having Resco explorer and the plethora of other apps open isn't much use if you can only see and use one of them at a time

If PalmOS could remember the state of each app when you switched then it would be as good as multitasking for most people.
    But it doesn't and that's the point. Multitasking is much more than just having applications open as most have pointed out here.

One of the many reasons why I ran screaming away from the Palm OS oh so long ago.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Actually Palm OS does remember that state of each app. But that has limitations such as with web browsing, it has problems bringing you right back to where you were. Palm OS doesn't however remember a list of run apps. There's no way to go back to the last app. It would be really nice if after an email or message or other interruption you could go back to the last used app, but there no way to do that except to do it yourself.

Gee, I wonder if I can get "accidental multi-tasking" trademarked?

Even on a desktop computer, you can only do one thing at one time. Just because my web browser is multi-tabbed does not mean I am reading all the pages at the same time.

I think its 1) about having the device do things independent of your input e.g. downloading RSS feeds and 2) preserving state.

The best way to do both is pre-emptive multi-tasking. Doing it any other way is a hack at best.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 01/03/2007 at 03:34 PM.
    HERE'S A GOOD ONE:

Versamail: Try send/receive, and get a phone call. After the phone call, check your email. WHAT? You have to start over? Wow, that is awful!

On my 750/8525 the email are there waiting. On the wx it would PAUSE, then resume where it left off. Palm can't do either
    Not saying you are wrong, but some of that is the data technology. UMTS (750 & 8525) allows simultaneous voice and data. On the 700wx, EVDO allows data to pause during a call and then resume.

But you are right in that there is no Palm OS device that can pause during a call or continue to receive data during a call. From memory I'm pretty sure that a 700p will act as you describe even though it has EVDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    HERE'S A GOOD ONE:

Versamail: Try send/receive, and get a phone call. After the phone call, check your email. WHAT? You have to start over? Wow, that is awful!

On my 750/8525 the email are there waiting. On the wx it would PAUSE, then resume where it left off. Palm can't do either
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast