Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Not saying you are wrong, but some of that is the data technology. UMTS (750 & 8525) allows simultaneous voice and data. On the 700wx, EVDO allows data to pause during a call and then resume.

But you are right in that there is no Palm OS device that can pause during a call or continue to receive data during a call. From memory I'm pretty sure that a 700p will act as you describe even though it has EVDO.
    I never owned one, but I believe the 700p had to start over, because of the multi-tasking issues. I wasn't crediting WM, just crediting what multitasking allows. I know EV-DO pauses, its what my wx did, but I don't think versamail pauses. I could be wrong though...
    Just to be clear, I think the 700p acts like you described, sorry if it sounded different. I think if you got a call during email download you would have to start over (unlike the 700wx). Although in theory I don't see why they couldn't resume under Palm OS, but I don't think they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I never owned one, but I believe the 700p had to start over, because of the multi-tasking issues. I wasn't crediting WM, just crediting what multitasking allows. I know EV-DO pauses, its what my wx did, but I don't think versamail pauses. I could be wrong though...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Even on a desktop computer, you can only do one thing at one time.
    Well yes but the screen area allows you to view more than one thing at a time e.g. have a spreadsheet open and your accounts program so you can compare figures.

Obviously having multi-tasking is better than not having it but I don't think the gap is huge, not like it would be on a PC.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Well, I've found myself on one of the famous "accidental multitasking" that bcaslis talks about : Today I was setting up TomTom on the 750v and I have rapidly remembered that I had an urgent mail to send, so I've just jumped to send the mail and got back to TomTom. Awesome, that'd be impossible on PalmOS
    1) Take a treo 650

2) open a webpage with blazer

3) wait

4) wait

5) wait

6) do something else (eg. read an SMS)

7) go back to blazer and reload the web page

8) wait

9) wait

10) wait

11) goto 1

----------------------

1) take a treo 750

2) open a webpage with opera (or pie+)

3) do something else

4) go back to opera (your web page is still there)

5) goto 1

----------------------

Do you notice any differences between the above examples
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ... is very overrated on a tiny handheld.

I had the 8525 and was excited about Windows Mobile but then reality struck. Aside from the 8525s design problems (can't use with one hand, tiny buttons, weight, etc, etc), windows mobile requires constant resetting if you run multiple apps. I had to either go to the "memory" applet and kill all running apps or reset the device all the time.

I got the Treo 680 just to try it (thinking I'd not like it) but now I just look back on the 8525/WM5 combination and laugh. Treo 680 = useful, 8525/WM5 = headaches.

It's clear that Palm OS is well thought out and designed for handhelds whereas WM is an afterthought trying to do too much on a handheld.

my 2 cents.
    Sunil
    Quote Originally Posted by lockon View Post

I had the 8525 and was excited about Windows Mobile but then reality struck. Aside from the 8525s design problems (can't use with one hand, tiny buttons, weight, etc, etc), windows mobile requires constant resetting if you run multiple apps. I had to either go to the "memory" applet and kill all running apps or reset the device all the time.

I got the Treo 680 just to try it (thinking I'd not like it) but now I just look back on the 8525/WM5 combination and laugh. Treo 680 = useful, 8525/WM5 = headaches.

It's clear that Palm OS is well thought out and designed for handhelds whereas WM is an afterthought trying to do too much on a handheld.

my 2 cents.
    Sunil
    It's obvious you didn't spend much time setting up your device either for task management nor one-handed use. A simple (some are free) task manager would have solved the memory issue. Keep in mind, a soft reset now and then is recommended to clear out memory and keep things running smoothly.

It's clear that Palm OS was well thought out? Sorry dude, the Palm OS was out way before pda and phones merged together. The Palm OS seems simple because the base code is over 7 years old and it is simple.

However, that is not to take away from the various tweaks/hacks Palm has added to make the phone experience more convienient. It should also be noted that Palm tweaked the more capable WM OS to make it more convienient as a phone OS.

The only reason the Palm OS is still around is becuase there is nothing else to replace it. Access has had it's issues with its new source and is nowhere ready to release the code yet. Palm had to sign up for the POS extension otherwise let it die a horrible death.

As it is clear in the posts here, those that have learned to use their devices and leverage the capabilities that WM offers will praise multitasking. Those have not will say "it's no big deal".
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)

my 2 cents.
    Sunil
    All the my 5 (five) treos 650 are used to reset itself about 5 time per day, now the 750 runs rock solid since the day when I reiceved it (almost two monts ago).

I hate WM but when I compare IT with those crappy and unstable devices like the 650, seem th best OS of the universe.

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    It's obvious you didn't spend much time setting up your device either for task management nor one-handed use. A simple (some are free) task manager would have solved the memory issue.
    Wrong, I had it for two weeks and my wife was ready to leave me because I spent so much time with it (and complained about it all the time). WM along with DisasterSync have so many shortcomings I don't know where to begin... but your statement basically proves my point - you have to add all kinds of crap to get what you want.

Keep in mind, a soft reset now and then is recommended to clear out memory and keep things running smoothly.
    I don't know if I should laugh or cry... are you serious? I had to soft reset my Clie maybe twice a year and hard reset once every two years (and HotSync makes a hard reset painless as opposed to DisasterSync where you have to start all over from scratch except for your contacts, tasks and notes).

It's clear that Palm OS was well thought out? Sorry dude, the Palm OS was out way before pda and phones merged together. The Palm OS seems simple because the base code is over 7 years old and it is simple.
    And WM came out after the PDA and phone merged? I don't think so (could be wrong though). Bottom line is that Palm is a much better PDA (but WM "today" screen is a great idea). Neither deals with the phone part exceptionally well, but the Cingular/Palm dialer is a lot better and easier to use than the Cingular/HTC/WM dialer. the buttons are bigger, the contact lookup is a lot easier to use when typing in names and the call history is easier to sort.

Sunil
    Last edited by lockon; 01/04/2007 at 12:33 PM.
    Yes, it is ture, you don't have to reset Palm devices. OH WAIT, I forgot, it does it on its own whenever it wants! Silly me.

Think about what a joke that is...The OS cannot multitask, it closes programs AUTOMATICALLY by design, yet the dbcache still runs low! I can understand running too many programs at once and having to reset, but that can't possible be an issue with Palm.

WM and Palm cannot be compared as OS'es. They can be compared for usability, certainly, but not on structure.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    I hate WM but when I compare IT with those crappy and unstable devices like the 650, seem th best OS of the universe.
    I don't think your issue was with Palm OS, it was with the 650. The 680 has not hung up on me once in the week I've had it. After one week with the 8525 I had probably reset it 25 times ... it made me wish that they had a special panel which you could open and reveal three special keys... CONTROL-ALT-DELETE

Sunil
    Wrong, I had it for two weeks and my wife was ready to leave me because I spent so much time with it (and complained about it all the time). WM along with DisasterSync have so many shortcomings I don't know where to begin... but your statement basically proves my point - you have to add all kinds of crap to get what you want.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry... are you serious? I had to software my Clie maybe twice a year and hard reset once every two years (and HotSync makes a hard reset painless as opposed to DisasterSync where you have to start all over from scratch except for your contacts, tasks and notes).

And WM came out after the PDA and phone merged? I don't think so (could be wrong though). Bottom line is that Palm is a much better PDA (but WM "today" screen is a great idea). Neither deals with the phone part exceptionally well, but the Cingular/Palm dialer is a lot better and easier to use than the Cingular/HTC/WM dialer. the buttons are bigger, the contact lookup is a lot easier to use when typing in names and the call history is easier to sort.

Sunil
    All is true, but the Clie wasn't a phone, and that makes the WORLD of difference.

True, neither are perfect. And we can argue which is "better" for days, and get right back to where we were a year ago...

Palm's dialer is Palm's own. HTC uses WM skinned. HTC does not do much as far as customizations, but they are starting to now (task manager that closesd apps just came out, smartdial is theirs, etc).

I hard reset when I feel like it, just too clean out the device. NOT because of the OS, but because I keep adding and removing crap from the device, and I am paranoid of lingering files/reg values that I don't want. But I have a storage card with all of my cab's on it, and I just go down the line in file explorer and install them one by one. Takes about 1/2 hour tops. Exchange Activestynk is MUCH more seamless than the PC version, so I use that for contacts, etc.

Bottom line is POS is simple. If simple is what you want, and need, than its for you. That doesn't make any assumptions about YOU, just that you want to use your phone QUICKLY and do only what POS can provide. That's it.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    All the my 5 (five) treos 650 are used to reset itself about 5 time per day
    What did you do to them The most I had to reset my 650 was once or twice a month and that was normally related to TomTom.
    I don't think your issue was with Palm OS, it was with the 650.

Sunil

I'm speaking about the devices, I don't want to open an OS flamewar, I tried 5 different (swapped) unit and all are unstable, now the first 750 is rock solid and with a lot of the ease of use od palmos.

The 750 is a good device, not perfect but a good device.

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    What did you do to them
    Hazardous actions...

like putting the battery in the back of the phone and waiting for power on.

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    One more bit of fuel to the flame. I will concede that Palm OS has problems with spontaneous resets. These can be frequent or infrequent depending on a huge number of variables.

But my experience with WM5 on multiple devices is that while it almost never "crashes", many times it can freeze up or go "brain-dead". That where everything seems OK until you try to use the function and then nothing happens. Examples are bluetooth stopping working, programs not running, phone calls not being seen, sounds stopping working, etc...

If stable = fully functioning, then I think in general Palm OS and WM5 are pretty close. Really, how can you claim that OS that needs hard resetting every now and then is stable? Bull pucky. What to see stable? Try Symbian OS. Both Palm and Microsoft have a very long way to go to make a truly stable OS which IMHO is the very first requirement for a converged device.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    What to see stable? Try Symbian OS

Th my p800 is absolutely stable (a couple of resets in 4 years) and never feeze, never hanged.

Simply almost perfect.

The same is not true when we go to speak about the UIQ 3, but it is a young OS and maybe the next upgrades can fix the (not so) small problems it has.
    Last edited by The Solutor; 03/02/2007 at 04:59 PM.

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    not to beat a dead horse, but instead of posting a new thread I though i'd just post in here.

LONG TIME palm OS user here, so with the multitasking element of the 750, I'm able to go to the internet, let a page load while I hop over to IM+ or my email and go back to the page which would probably be done loading in that amount of time?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12