Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I have been looking to get something for indoors in my home. I have Verizon (and possibly will have Cingular at somepoint) and both barely get 1-2 bars indoors and reception is poor (reception once I walk out my front door or my driveway is just fine.

I have been looking at stuff like:
    DA-4000SBR

and
    DA4000MR..

does anyone have any real experience with products like these (or others), do they work??? any recommendations?
    Ive never heard about any such hardware like this for cell Phones.Very intresting to say the least.
    Wilson Electronics makes a signal booster. The company I work for put several in our building to cure the dead spots. Basically, it's a Yagi antenna outside coupled with an amplifier which is attached to an indoor antenna. You can even get one for you car.

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    Wilson Electronics makes a signal booster. The company I work for put several in our building to cure the dead spots. Basically, it's a Yagi antenna outside coupled with an amplifier which is attached to an indoor antenna. You can even get one for you car.

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com
    did they cure the dead spots completely? did it really make a difference?
    I have the one you are looking at. I had no luck with it with the supplied indoor antenna but after putting an aftermarket mobile antenna on it for the indoor antenna and using the supplied outdoor antenna it works fine. I had little or no cell service available inside my home and with this device I have no coverage problems. A little messing with it is necessary to get the antennas located correctly but after that it's been running for I'd say probably a couple years??? A long time anyway
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I've been using a Wilson hard-wired model for over a year now in fringe areas. If I've got 1 bar of 1x data at 50k on my Treo, it'll bump it up to at least 2 bars and closer to 100k of throughput. It also seems to stabilize the signal and the data connection. The hard-wired units connect to the built-in (hidden) jack on some phones/pda's. I just use a cheap ($25) car cell antennas for the reception end. I'm sure it would be even better with an upgraded reception antenna.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mixman View Post
    I've been using a Wilson hard-wired model for over a year now in fringe areas. If I've got 1 bar of 1x data at 50k on my Treo, it'll bump it up to at least 2 bars and closer to 100k of throughput. It also seems to stabilize the signal and the data connection. The hard-wired units connect to the built-in (hidden) jack on some phones/pda's. I just use a cheap ($25) car cell antennas for the reception end. I'm sure it would be even better with an upgraded reception antenna.
    I wouldnt be looking for anything that I had to attach to the phone, I would just want something that would work if I was it the vicinity of it.. is that not a reality?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
    I have the one you are looking at. I had no luck with it with the supplied indoor antenna but after putting an aftermarket mobile antenna on it for the indoor antenna and using the supplied outdoor antenna it works fine. I had little or no cell service available inside my home and with this device I have no coverage problems. A little messing with it is necessary to get the antennas located correctly but after that it's been running for I'd say probably a couple years??? A long time anyway
    StillCrazy, so you dont hardwire it (to the actual phone) with that, do you?
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    jbiz - Sorry for the confusion. I was just stating about my personal experience with a Wilson product, which happens to be a "direct connect" model. They certainly do make models (like StillCrazy seems to have) that use one antenna outside - to pick up your carrier's siignal - and another antenna inside to boost and rebroadcast to your mobile device. See options for this brand at:

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/Lis...cts.php?Type=7

My suggestion is to buy from a dealer with a return policy and see if it works for you.
    No this model isn't hardwired to the phone it has an inside antenna and will support multiple simultaneous connections.
    Please note that there are a couple different versions the one I use supports Verizon Sprint etc... but Nextel requires a different one
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiz View Post
    did they cure the dead spots completely? did it really make a difference?
    Yes, I can get 4 bars anywhere in our building now.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    anyone have an idea as what I should I expect to spend for all the pieces I need? (I can run and mount the external antenna myself)..
    I got mine through some marine store in Florida don't remember how much it cost. Comes as a kit with everything you need (except in my case the provided antenna was Jenky). Seems they are pretty popular with boaters
    I have one that I HAD to use at my previous house. I had sprint and would get less than one bar which would make it roam on Verizon therefore no data. I switched to verizon and got one of these from Fry's (cant remember name) was about $300.00 and it DEFINITELY worked. But I used it in my home office and could only get a strong signal in there but was good enough for me. Gave me full bars on my 700w.
    Spotwave makes residential and commercial repeaters...

http://www.spotwave.com/residential/index.asp