1.    #1  
    Ok, this post has been a long time in the making. On the verge of the Treo 750, I've been unable to find a comprehensive post on software that is available on the PalmOS which has a WM5 substitute. Here is a list (without the obvious StyleTap):
    Code:
    PalmOS:                                                   WM5:
    pTunes                                                    Windows Media?
    Dir Assist                                                Found one but its terriblely slow, ?
    GoogleMaps                                                Mobile Gmaps?
    mVoice
    PalmPDF                                                   Free PDF Reader?
    Card Reader                                               Softick Card Export II?
    Butler (alert manager & global hotkey launcher)
    Resco Backup
    SpashID                                                   SplashID for WM5
    VSFTP+
    Toccer (stand-alone)
    TCPMP                                                     Does Windows Media play video?
    TuSSH                            
    TealAuto
    4Cast (auto-update)
    KeyCaps (a MUST)
    VersaMail (does Outlook replace it?)
    RemotePlus                                                Remote Desktop
    mRing
    PXAClocker (very handy)
    TreoGuard (auto radio turn on)
    I'm sure that I've missed other useful apps and I apologize if this topic has already been covered. I appreciate the help in advance.
    So I was in the same boat as you - been using Palm OS for 10 years, and had bought most of all those same apps you listed. Not all, but most (Butler was the one I really depended on, for the most part).

I have found after using WM on a 700w for almost a year that I don't miss the Palm OS at all, and really can't find myself ever going back.

The apps I very heavily depend on now are:

WMP
    TCPMP (still using the free version)
    eReader
    Windows Live Search (replaced Google Maps - I think Live Search is better)
    eWallet (replaced Passwords Plus)
    PhatNotes (replaced DayNotez - yes I know DayNotez has a WM version, but..)
    Outlook/Exchange ActiveSync (seamless instant push with my corporate Exchange server - probably the single best thing about WM)
    SunnySoft Backup Manager
    NewsBreak
    Picsel Viewer - free PDF viewer (better than the one out of the box)
    TeleNav - for full GPS, for those times when Live Search won't do it

I too had about 50 hacks and little applets that I thought (note the past tense) that I thought I couldn't live with - some careful usage of the Start Menu contents (putting the ones in there that I use most often, like eReader and PhatNotes), and really understanding how the Start button and OK buttons work - all those have combined to allow me to get completely away from thinking I needed all those little hacks and apps. One example is the use of WordComplete - I really like how that works, and how words will suggest to me - yes, I know you can get the same type app (third party) for Palm OS, but to me - WM just makes everything seamless and straightforward. I don't have to trick up my device quite as much, to get it how I want it to be.

And yes, I've tested about 50 various other apps like Today Plus, Pocket Informant, Pocket Breeze, blah blah, and I have rejected them all out of hand.

Bottom line to me - I like WM much better than Palm OS, and I've not looked back at all with all the various hacks and applets. I just learned that I don't need TreoSelecText, for instance. Or any of the other 50 ones I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by netdale View Post
    Ok, this post has been a long time in the making. On the verge of the Treo 750, I've been unable to find a comprehensive post on software that is available on the PalmOS which has a WM5 substitute. Here is a list (without the obvious StyleTap):
    Code:
    PalmOS:                                                   WM5:
    pTunes                                                    Windows Media?
    Dir Assist                                                Found one but its terriblely slow, ?
    GoogleMaps                                                Mobile Gmaps?
    mVoice
    PalmPDF                                                   Free PDF Reader?
    Card Reader                                               Softick Card Export II?
    Butler (alert manager & global hotkey launcher)
    Resco Backup
    SpashID                                                   SplashID for WM5
    VSFTP+
    Toccer (stand-alone)
    TCPMP                                                     Does Windows Media play video?
    TuSSH                            
    TealAuto
    4Cast (auto-update)
    KeyCaps (a MUST)
    VersaMail (does Outlook replace it?)
    RemotePlus                                                Remote Desktop
    mRing
    PXAClocker (very handy)
    TreoGuard (auto radio turn on)
    I'm sure that I've missed other useful apps and I apologize if this topic has already been covered. I appreciate the help in advance.
    Directory Assist - > Windows Live Search
    MVoice -> MVoice (win mobile version)
    4Cast -> WeatherPanel
    Keycaps -> QCaps (coming soon for win mobile treo...qoolapps.com)
    Google Maps will work also...

Try Style Tap...
    I am a real estate wholesaler, let me know how I can help you!!!
    We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight!!!
    Woody Properties, LLC
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    So I was in the same boat as you - been using Palm OS for 10 years, and had bought most of all those same apps you listed. Not all, but most (Butler was the one I really depended on, for the most part).

I have found after using WM on a 700w for almost a year that I don't miss the Palm OS at all, and really can't find myself ever going back.

The apps I very heavily depend on now are:

WMP
    TCPMP (still using the free version)
    eReader
    Windows Live Search (replaced Google Maps - I think Live Search is better)
    eWallet (replaced Passwords Plus)
    PhatNotes (replaced DayNotez - yes I know DayNotez has a WM version, but..)
    Outlook/Exchange ActiveSync (seamless instant push with my corporate Exchange server - probably the single best thing about WM)
    SunnySoft Backup Manager
    NewsBreak
    Picsel Viewer - free PDF viewer (better than the one out of the box)
    TeleNav - for full GPS, for those times when Live Search won't do it

I too had about 50 hacks and little applets that I thought (note the past tense) that I thought I couldn't live with - some careful usage of the Start Menu contents (putting the ones in there that I use most often, like eReader and PhatNotes), and really understanding how the Start button and OK buttons work - all those have combined to allow me to get completely away from thinking I needed all those little hacks and apps. One example is the use of WordComplete - I really like how that works, and how words will suggest to me - yes, I know you can get the same type app (third party) for Palm OS, but to me - WM just makes everything seamless and straightforward. I don't have to trick up my device quite as much, to get it how I want it to be.

And yes, I've tested about 50 various other apps like Today Plus, Pocket Informant, Pocket Breeze, blah blah, and I have rejected them all out of hand.

Bottom line to me - I like WM much better than Palm OS, and I've not looked back at all with all the various hacks and applets. I just learned that I don't need TreoSelecText, for instance. Or any of the other 50 ones I had.
    So WM5 has the same features as TextPlus (which I forgot to mention).

I really hope you are right, since I do depend on the many many hacks used on my Treo 650.

This question might be unrelated, but I have a hosting reseller system that uses cPanel. It supports IMAP or POP and I'm wondering exactly how I should go about it. In VersaMail I would always use POP since VersaMail was always so picky. But when I step up to the 750 will I be able to carry around more of my entire Outlook folders? I have gigs of email and if somehow I could keep all my emails from the past year synced onto the miniSD card that would be incredibly slick. If I did this would IMAP be the way to go? Or still download via POP and use my folder structure so it retains thing like deletes?

Is StyleTap very seamless? Can you launch applications directly from WM5 that go through StyleTap?
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I won't speak for everyone, but I think alot of us long-time Palm users are beginning to take a more serious look at WM. I know I am. If my IT dept had upgraded out Exchange server, I'd already be their. I just upgraded to the 680, which is great. But I do hope Cingular comes out with the 750 while I'm still in my 30 day return period. I'd love to have that difficult choice.

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo View Post
    I won't speak for everyone, but I think alot of us long-time Palm users are beginning to take a more serious look at WM. I know I am. If my IT dept had upgraded out Exchange server, I'd already be their. I just upgraded to the 680, which is great. But I do hope Cingular comes out with the 750 while I'm still in my 30 day return period. I'd love to have that difficult choice.

Mac
    Same here. I had a terrible experience at first with Windows Mobile and a QTEK 9100, but now with the Treo it's all a different story
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I'm considering the leap also...Anyone out there using Exchange ActiveSync on the 750, can you answer this? Does the Contacts sync bring over all the fields from Outlook? This is one of the Palm limitations I'm trying to overcome.
    boys - I can tell you that I won't ever look back at the Palm OS. I just think the PIM apps are SO much better on the 700w/wx. I look at my 650 I have and just shake my head, like - 'man what was I thinking for lo those many years?'. I use EAS on my 700wx and it does seem to me that most if not all the Outlook contact fields come over - things like 'Manager Name' and all the numerous phone and address fields - all of those. Awesome.

Now as far as the question on StyleTap - don't do it. Just make the jump to WM and don't cripple things by trying to run Palm OS apps inside WM. I tried that with Pocket Tunes, for instance - yuck. Avoid StyleTap like the plague.

The bottom line is that you have to make a clean break - embrace the future and don't hold to those Palm OS apps like a pacifier. You'll be much happier in the end. I have been for sure.
    The contacts app on WM5 is OK, but the calendar is the worst kind of pathetic joke there is. I can't think of a worse calendar app than the one in WM5. Thankfully Agenda One is now available which isn't bad, but the Palm OS calendar stomps all over the WM5 one.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The contacts app on WM5 is OK, but the calendar is the worst kind of pathetic joke there is. I can't think of a worse calendar app than the one in WM5. Thankfully Agenda One is now available which isn't bad, but the Palm OS calendar stomps all over the WM5 one.
    Except ofcourse for the ota push sync in an exchange environment. I'll take that over a pretty palm calender using hotsync anyday.
    That could be, I don't use exchange. But for viewing and finding appointments (like color coding appointments by category), it's junk.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Except ofcourse for the ota push sync in an exchange environment. I'll take that over a pretty palm calender using hotsync anyday.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680