Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    I recent bought a Cingular 8525. While in the store, the Cingular rep let me play with the Treo 750 demo. So I took these pictures. I apologize if someone has already posted similar pictures.

    BTW, I am returning the 8525. I loved it capabilities, but the side keyboard and the lack of a tradition headphone jacks are the reasons for it being returned. I never realized how much I use my Treo 650 with one hand and could not get used to not having it. After having the 8525, I am looking forward to the Treo 750 with Windows and UMTS/HSDPA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #2  
    very nice. I own an 8525, and I've been waiting for the 750 for a while now. Once it comes out, I'll be putting the "For Sale" sign on my 8525.
  3. #3  
    I had the 8125 for about a month and did not like the sliding keyboard. There are times I have to reply to Email while on the road and it is very hard to do while driving. Yeah, I know I should not be typing and driving at the same time but sometimes you have to. I am now using the 680 and waiting for the 750 to hit.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
  4. jbcross's Avatar
    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #4  
    I have had both for several months. I must say that my sim swapping has slowed to a crawl - in favor of the TYTN. There is a nifty little program I have installed - http://www.tengo.net/tengo_thumb.html that is acceptable to use for a quick responce here and there, it uses the touch screen as the input...Attached is a screen shot of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5. #5  
    It's not just using one hand while driving, try replying to an email or text message while walking through an airport carrying a ton of bags. Without one hand operation you have to stop and drop your bags to reply.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    It's not just using one hand while driving, try replying to an email or text message while walking through an airport carrying a ton of bags. Without one hand operation you have to stop and drop your bags to reply.
    YES! That is also a big thing. Or when you're walking through the airport and you have to call your car company to come pick you up.

    I mean, even walking downtown with a big crowd of people around you means one hand on your laptop bag making sure it doesn't get bumped off and one hand replying to a text or making a quick phone call.
  7. sbradfor's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #7  
    I too am trying to decide between the 8525 and the Treo 750. I like the modifications I've heard about that Palm made to the Treo but the specs of the 8525 are hands down better.

    I'm a little concerned with games & apps being compatible with the 750's square screen.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    I have had both for several months. I must say that my sim swapping has slowed to a crawl - in favor of the TYTN. There is a nifty little program I have installed - http://www.tengo.net/tengo_thumb.html that is acceptable to use for a quick responce here and there, it uses the touch screen as the input...Attached is a screen shot of mine.
    This seems like an interesting option to use on a Windows Mobile device. I followed the link to their website. They supposedly offer a fourteen day trial, which when downloaded an installed does not work. It asks for a code of some sort.
    David
  9. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor View Post
    I too am trying to decide between the 8525 and the Treo 750. I like the modifications I've heard about that Palm made to the Treo but the specs of the 8525 are hands down better.
    Yes, the specs of the 8525 (TyTN) are better than the 750, but as people have said above, you quickly find that the TyTn is much less 'usable'.

    The lack of WiFi on the 750 made me reluctantly leave the Palm camp after many years and get a Nokia E61.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    I have had both for several months. I must say that my sim swapping has slowed to a crawl - in favor of the TYTN. There is a nifty little program I have installed - http://www.tengo.net/tengo_thumb.html that is acceptable to use for a quick responce here and there, it uses the touch screen as the input...Attached is a screen shot of mine.
    Great program. Helps as much as the scroll wheel does!
  11. sbradfor's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Yes, the specs of the 8525 (TyTN) are better than the 750, but as people have said above, you quickly find that the TyTn is much less 'usable'.

    The lack of WiFi on the 750 made me reluctantly leave the Palm camp after many years and get a Nokia E61.
    I thought the 8525 was the Hermes. It's the TyTN?

    How is the 8525 less usable?

    Thank you for the reply.
  12. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor View Post
    I thought the 8525 was the Hermes. It's the TyTN?

    How is the 8525 less usable?

    Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, the 8525 is a TyTN, so it has 3G support and the jog wheel.

    I just found it hard to make a call with one hand, or to do many other functions without taking the stylus out. With my old Treo 600 I could call up a contact and dial with no problems. The whole process was much messier on the TyTN.

    Web browsing requires both hands and a stylus. My Nokia E61 doesn't have a touch screen, but the navigation is very easy with the joystick.

    My ideal device would be Treo style device with built-in WiFi and a hi-res screen.
  13. sbradfor's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #13  
    I agree with your ideas about an ideal device.

    One of the things that concerns me about the Treo is the square screen. Will some games and applications have problems with this?

    What are the differences between the TyTN and the Hermes?

    Regarding the one handed support, since I don't have a smartphone yet, I'm not sure how important this is to me. Thank you for sharing your concerns. This helps.
  14. #14  
    it seems like most newer applications have support for the square screens.. they usually state it..

    Hermes is just the code name from the manufacturer, like Cheetah is for the Treo 750. TyTN is the name they're selling it as under the HTC brand. The Hermes comes in other names branded by operators (Cingular 8525, Dopod 838 Pro, CHT9000 etc.) They are all the same.

    You can learn more about it from the XDA developer wiki:

    Hermes: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...ame=HTC_Hermes

    Cheetah: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...me=HTC_Cheetah
  15. sbradfor's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #15  
    Thanks a lot yaktwok! That's some useful info!

    Now I'm just trying to find out what the actual screen size is on the Treo 750. I can find the screen size on the 8525 (2.8 inches) but can't seem to find this info on the Treo 750...
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post

    My ideal device would be Treo style device with built-in WiFi and a hi-res screen.

    that is called the 8525 with the leyboard out on it's side
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor View Post
    I agree with your ideas about an ideal device.

    One of the things that concerns me about the Treo is the square screen. Will some games and applications have problems with this?

    What are the differences between the TyTN and the Hermes?

    Regarding the one handed support, since I don't have a smartphone yet, I'm not sure how important this is to me. Thank you for sharing your concerns. This helps.

    the small screen on the treo should concern you as well, and the lack of wifi
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  18. sbradfor's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    the small screen on the treo should concern you as well, and the lack of wifi
    They do. They concern me a lot. Thank you for the heads up though!

    I've heard the Treo 750 has tweaks to it's OS by Palm that make it more usable. Is this a big thing or a small thing? Should I care?

    I've also heard they have a better SMS program (so you can have threaded SMS).
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor View Post
    They do. They concern me a lot. Thank you for the heads up though!

    I've heard the Treo 750 has tweaks to it's OS by Palm that make it more usable. Is this a big thing or a small thing? Should I care?

    I've also heard they have a better SMS program (so you can have threaded SMS).
    i have heard the same about the tweaks. i have heard some will be available soon at xda though through hacks. it depends upon what you are talking about as in usability. i think both the treo and the 8525 are super uber devices! i tend to lean towards the 8525 because it is a bit more feature heavy and it has a bigger screen. the drawback, for me a positive, i can not dial when i am driving. i can answer with no problem with my bluetooth, but i need to dial the number before i start driving. i think this is good becuase now i use the phone less when i am driving.
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  20. sbradfor's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #20  
    You make some excellent points Thunder God. Thanks for your input.

    By the way, I checked out xda's site. They've got some great info there!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions