1.    #1  
    I know Verizon will be getting a Windows Mobile phone running "Crossbow", the next version of Windows Mobile very soon. What do you guys think the chances of Palm letting us buy it from them like Dell, HP, etc have done in the past with new versions of Windows Mobile?
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Very, very low. If you look at Palm's history, they release new phones, not OS upgrades. They use each new model as a way to introduce a new OS and never backport the OS features.

I'd bet Palm won't enter the Crossbow era until they release a new phone around Q3 '07.
  3.    #3  
    ok, if Palm doesn't release it how hard will it be for us to get it on our 700w/x's? I know people are running it on some HTC devices already, even though it's not officially out. I know Palm was given more ways to tweak WM than any other WM licensee, so it might not work. It's good to dream... I know Palm's history, but that was for Palm OS, I thought they might be a little more supportive with WM since almost all the other licensees do OS upgrades.

When it comes close I'll ask my contact at Palm about it and see if he can get an answer or not. Just wanted to put it out to the experts here at TreoCentral.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by aetherion View Post
    Very, very low. If you look at Palm's history, they release new phones, not OS upgrades. They use each new model as a way to introduce a new OS and never backport the OS features.

I'd bet Palm won't enter the Crossbow era until they release a new phone around Q3 '07.
    but Crossbow is just another AKU update with some more bells and whistles and since they already went from AKU 1.x in the 700w to AKU 2.21, this isn't that different.

but as far as what Palm will actually do? Who knows. Who knows if they are even working on another patch/ROM upgrade. If they are we will certainly get another AKU update but which one (or Crossbow)?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yeah I've heard Crossbow is basically just a reskin of WM5 with an AKU update...hopefully we'll just get a service pack update or firmware update to take care of it.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)