1.    #1  
    Well I've had my Treo 700w since 2 days after they first came out in January and I've had my ups and downs with it but overall like it pretty well. The battery life has never been too bad either - I with my typical day I can have a fully charged phone in the morning and by the end of the day be around 60 to 70% left. In fact often times I forget to charge it that night and it still lasts me until the end of the next day before I have to charge it (though by then I'm typically getting low battery warnings and conserving my usage)

The thing is, I got a bluetooth headset for it finally this christmas and ever since I started using it my battery life has just gotten ridiculously bad on my phone. The headset itself has yet to run low on batteries, that I can tell, but man... now instead of my typical day leaving me with 60+% battery life on my phone, I'm making it through 2/3rds of my day and my phone is about to shut down on me because of a lack of battery life.

I suppose maybe the obvious solution is to keep my headset turned off unless I want to use it to take a call, but the added time/hassle of pulling out my headset and holding the power button for three seconds, waiting for it to see my phone, and then take the call is long enough to make me risk missing the call.

And even then... I'm afraid to talk on it for too long for fear of killing my battery life.

I know there are higher capacity batteries available for the 700w now, but I shouldn't have to go to such measures just to keep from having a dead phone at the end of every day when this wasn't a problem before.

Is there a setting somewhere in my phone that can keep my phone from constantly draining the battery when my headset is nearby?

I also noticed sometimes even when the headset is not in use, if I'm wearing it, my headset will make a beeping noise and my screen on my phone will turn on for 30 seconds or so. No, no reminder or new email or phone call... nothing happened as far as I can tell, yet apparently my headset tells my phone to periodically turn its screen on and waste even more battery life.

From what I understood it's supposed to be a pretty nice one - Plantronics 510HS with 'noise canceling'- it was on slickdeals.net for 30 dollars after rebate and google checkout and stuff.

But if this is a normal 'feature' to kill a Treo's battery life, I have no interest in using it.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
    But if this is a normal 'feature' to kill a Treo's battery life, I have no interest in using it.
    yes, the treo's bluetooth drains the battery like crazy. especially when combined with heavy talktimes. think of the bluetooth as a radio that you turn on and leave it on to constantly receive / await for incoming signals from any and all other bluetooth devices. the bluetooth requires your phone cpu to constantly run and not be able to go into a lower power consumption standby mode. i can tell that the treo's bluetooth is much more powerful than that of a headset's bluetooth, because my treo can stay connected with my computer at longer range than my bluetooth headset. if the treo used the same, lower power consumption bluetooth headset, then i'm sure it'll help conserve more energy.

if you're a power user, then your best bet is to invest in a charger that you can use while at work. treocentral store has a nice selection of desktop chargers, car chargers, etc.

i already have all the home, work, car, and computer chargers. plus, i carry a second battery with me at all time... it's a lifesaver! the desktop charger i have at home has a separate battery charging bay.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    So what you are saying is that the Bluetooth chipset found in the 700wx is not designed to go into low power mode like what is found on cellphones?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    So what you are saying is that the Bluetooth chipset found in the 700wx is not designed to go into low power mode like what is found on cellphones?
    something like that.... with the bluetooth turned on, notice how the treo gets warm, even in standby mode? or notice how much warmer the phone gets when you're talking on the phone while using a bluetooth headset? i can tell that the treo's internal bluetooth is more powerful (transmit power) and has greater range than any of the dozen or so handsfree bluetooth headsets i've ever owned. it only makes sense that the treo drains more power because it puts out more power and has greater range than all the cellular bluetooth headsets i've ever owned. my bluetooth headset will stay connected to my computer while i walk around my house, but my Treo 700w and 700wx stays connected to my computer all the way out to the front yard! i like the range of the treo, but i'd rather conserve power over extended range. the other thing i was pointing out was that the treo's bluetooth acts like it was controlled by the treo processor and that's a bit overkill. if the bluetooth had it's own controller, then it should use a lot less power... it sips power, not drain it. have you ever taken apart... or seen the battery inside those bluetooth headsets? they're tiny and they can provide 2-4 hour talk time or up to 48 hour standby time.