Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How has the battery life on the Treo 750 been for everyone? Just asking because the main source of discontent for the Treo 680 users is the battery life. The majority of users are reporting phones that drain from fully charged to <20% after one day of normal use ( a few phone calls, web surfing, and emails, in addition to normal PDA functions). There have been several work arounds but nothing seems to help. There is a program called Battery Graph that people are using to verify their charge/drain rate. I myself have had two different phones with the same result. Are 750 users experiencing similar problem? I would guess not. But since the phones are made by different companies and use different OS's, it would interesting to see if it is a hardware or software issue.

Well it's both hardware and software. The first thing is that a 1200mA battery isn't going to last as long as 1800 or 2400 one. Some people need to get over this.

The 750 has a more power hungry radio, but a processor that is supposed to be more efficient in standby mode.

If you use 3G actively or make call on UMTS, it will drain power faster than the 680. A more powerful radio will do that. If you just have it in standby, I think it lasts longer than the 680. How long is a combination of what you do. I recharge every day at a minimum. I don't think there's anyway around that unless you aren't using it much during the day.

I will say that the "weird" battery drains I've seen on the 680 don't happen on the 750. A number of times, I've had the 680 phone off, nothing running on it off the charger. I will go from 100% to 60% in six hours. In the same situation the 750 will be at 100% or 99%. I've seen this on both the 680 and 700p. I'm convinced that there is some OS process that gets messed up and is draining the power. A soft reset on the 680 fixes this, but a few days later it happens again.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Well it's both hardware and software. The first thing is that a 1200mA battery isn't going to last as long as 1800 or 2400 one. Some people need to get over this.

I will say that the "weird" battery drains I've seen on the 680 don't happen on the 750. A number of times, I've had the 680 phone off, nothing running on it off the charger. I will go from 100% to 60% in six hours. In the same situation the 750 will be at 100% or 99%. I've seen this on both the 680 and 700p. I'm convinced that there is some OS process that gets messed up and is draining the power. A soft reset on the 680 fixes this, but a few days later it happens again.

I agree about the battery, and expected this. But to have a 680 drain from 100% to 55% after 6 hours with no use is not a battery issue (after trying different batteries). A similar scenaio with a 650 would have a drop of only a few percent if that. I was just curious to see if the 750 world had the same pains as the 680 world did.
    I agree about the battery drop on the 680, it acts like it's some software causing it to not sleep. I've never seen this on the 750v, but I have seen it occasionally on the 680 and 700p.

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I agree about the battery, and expected this. But to have a 680 drain from 100% to 55% after 6 hours with no use is not a battery issue (after trying different batteries). A similar scenaio with a 650 would have a drop of only a few percent if that. I was just curious to see if the 750 world had the same pains as the 680 world did.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    To me, this is the biggest complaint on the 750v, especially when you come from an endless 650 battery life
    As a longtime 650 user, I've just returned my 750v to Vodafone in the UK. The battery drain made it unusable. This was after trickle charging a number of times and trying things like dimming the screen/soft resets etc. I fully charged it yesterday evening at 11pm before going to sleep. I use it as an alarm. At 6.00am the battery read 14%! And I don't make many calls in my sleep! On 'normal' use I'm lucky to 2 hours out of it. Great phone, but needs a firmware fix?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The 750 has a more power hungry radio, but a processor that is supposed to be more efficient in standby mode..
    Eh? It's the same processor as in all the other recent Treos, the Intel XScale 312MHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    Eh? It's the same processor as in all the other recent Treos, the Intel XScale 312MHz.
    no the 750 uses a new Samsung processor...300 MHz...its supposed to have the power of an intel, but sips battery power like a TI
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure I'm able to last 3 days on my Treo. True. I was sceptical at first but it's been holding up pretty well. It drops about 3% overnight (after 6-8 hours). I've managed to keep my Treo lean and mean at the moment with very little 3rd party apps.
    Ericsson 688 : Phillips Genie Sport : Siemens S35i : Handspring Visor : Nokia 8310 : Nokia 6610 : Nokia N70 : [Vodaphone Treo 750v WM6 + 2GB Transcend miniSD]
    Well, the battery life does not compare.Way,way better than my 680. More on par with my 650's battery life. I am glad that issue is resolved for me.
    Charged the 750 overnight. Took is off the charger at 6:45 a.m. and made a few short calls. Had one call that was 1 1/2 hours using my bluetooth head set. Sync with exchange as items arrive. Have received probably 20 emails and responded to a few. Made a few more 5 to 10 minute phone calls. Have News Break set to update every 4 hours (CES) and sent and received about 10 SMS. It is now 1:45 p.m. and Iím getting the warning that the battery is low (18%). Not at good as I was hoping but better than the 680 and about the same as the Blackjack.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Battery life on the 750v is fine as long as you don't leave the UMTS connection on. I hope someday Palm will release a firmware that closes the U connection automatically
    I have had these strange battery drains on a number of different phones from time to time. It happens on the MotoQ (or did) and my guess is that it's a combination of software and or network issues that cause this. I think the number one culprit for the random rapid battery drain is either an incompatible 3rd party application installed by a user that doesn't function correctly with the battery (ie; process being left open and running even after the application is closed) and or an issue with the phone having a problem connecting or disconnecting from the network in the background - especially in a fringe coverage area. For the 750 a big challenge of course is negotiating that handoff between UMTS & GRPS/GSM when UMTS is good/bad, that's where I can see some potential big battery drain if you happen to be in a location that has coverage that may dip in & out.

Hopefully patches come out that fix all of these.

So far for me today my Treo 750 is on par with battery drain of my Treo 700w that I was using the Seidio 2400mAh battery with. Not bad - and I have had at least 60 minutes of talk time, 30 emails, a little surfing. Still at 59%.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    At least Palm stuck to the same connector. All those Palm TX car chargers and extra AC chargers come in handy.
    They're just tech Toys Folks, There IS a higher power.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Battery life is very poor.

I had a full charge at 8am this morning, I recieved about 75 emails, made 2 calls roughly 15 minutes each and send about 5 sms and the battery way at 30% by 4:30pm.

I hope its just that its the 1st full day of usage on this device and that it will get better, but if it doesnt then there is no way this thing will make it through a full day like my 8525 did.

Heres hoping for the best!
    experiencing 5-6% battery loss on the 750. that would be a great improvement over the 680 that i just returned
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    SO far I am getting really good battery life out of the 750. Granted, I haven't made the transition to making it my only phone (I carry my 650 still as this 750 is a review device), but that will happen next week and I will surely know if it can handle going the entire day being abused....er used by me
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    LOVE the 750v. Hate the battery life...it's awful. But, I'm sticking with it - I love all the features and the mobile push from the Exchange Server. I'm optimistic that there will be some kind of upgrade or better battery option in the near future. I don't talk on the phone much, I have a lot of email coming in on two accounts and 5 to 10 sms messages a day. I'm charging overnight and having to charge it again by mid-day; dead again at bedtime. BAD.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Man, I'm telling y'all that my battery life has improved TREMENDOUSLY since I deleted the exchange server and added it back like someone in another forum had suggested. Don't know the technical details of why it worked for me, but oh well. I just went into Activesync on the device, deleted Exchange, then added again. Something to consider.
    Im not seeing where you delete "Exchange" in ActiveSync.... any help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast