Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got a 700wx. I really miss a few little tweaks and mods my Palm 650 had available.

My fave apps on the Palm 650:
    KeyGuardTime - brought up a little clock with date, time etc as a keyguard
    KeyCaps600 - multiple presses of a key rolls through that button's options i.e - r > R > 2.
    OneKey - allowed multiple tasks to assigned to the soft keys. So, pressing the right soft key bought up a dropdown menu with up to 3 apps/programs to choose from. I had mine set to go to either messaging, tasks (reminders) or memo (notepad). Way easy!

I'm getting there.
    Quote Originally Posted by idj4u View Post
    Just got a 700wx. I really miss a few little tweaks and mods my Palm 650 had available.

KeyCaps600 - multiple presses of a key rolls through that button's options i.e - r > R > 2.
    OneKey - allowed multiple tasks to assigned to the soft keys. So, pressing the right soft key bought up a dropdown menu with up to 3 apps/programs to choose from. I had mine set to go to either messaging, tasks (reminders) or memo (notepad). Way easy!

I'm getting there.
    I agree with you totally.
    Last week I moved from a 650 to a 700wx with Sprint.
    I loved the 700wx, but spent three long days and nights trying to get it to operate like my 650. I missed Chatter, first and foremost, Keycaps, Fieldplus, Hilauncher, Directory assisting (especially the fact that you can copy results directly to memos or contacts), Datebook 6, and I couldn't even find a simple alarm clock application like Mobile Clock. I suppose that those apps are out there, but i did some serious searching for three days and nights. Finally, I decided that if I was spending so much time trying to get the 700wx to be like my 650, I might as well keep the 650. I called and had the 650 reactivated. The only thing I did miss was EVDO, so in two days, when i took the 700wx back, i exchanged it for a 700p. After 2 days with the 700p my 650 is going on Ebay this Sunday. The 700p does suffer from a little lag, but certainly nothing that will frustrate me or keep me from being productive for the time being. I have to say, though, my 650 was stable and FAST after a few ROM updates and Fat 32 installed. I loved my 650 and it has been the most reliable phone i have had (after the first year and of sprint updates and Shadowmite hacking). But alas, I needed something new, and once I had EVDO I could not go back!

I'm getting there.
    I think what you're asking is, Why isn't WM like PalmOS? I'm sure if you'd started off with a wx or some other WM device, you wouldn't be missing those tweaks you mentioned. It's just one of the tradeoffs you have to make when switching operating systems...

WM5 does have simple tweaks, just not ones that make it function similarly to a 650

I'm getting there.
    I'm confused.

Under your Settings --> Keyguard if you enable for Power Off or whatever, you get the Keyguard which displays the current Time, which is pretty close to what you want (you can just have the date on your Today Screen via your plugin). So that's already built in and either not being used by you or you just don't care for it.

(there is also OnLockPro coming out soon)

Keycaps, as been discussed a ton of times on here, is being developed for the Treo and is called Qcaps. Some of us here are current Beta testers.
    http://www.qoolapps.com/QCaps.html

And for assigning multiple button presses to any programmable key on WM5, just get an app for $7.99 called AE Button Plus.

No offense, but you're not the 1st Palm/WM5 convert. You could have searched around here or say the Software section and gotten these same results.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/21/2006 at 11:58 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    What about keyshades? Still nothing?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    What about keyshades? Still nothing?
    r u kidding?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=keylight

It only came out like 2 months ago...

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm confused.
    Under your Settings --> Keyguard if you enable for Power Off or whatever, you get the Keyguard which displays the current Time, which is pretty close to what you want (you can just have the date on your Today Screen via your plugin). So that's already built in and either not being used by you or you just don't care for it.
    Yep, I know about this one. It works, I'm just taking a while to "let go" of the Palm OS.

This is what the key guard looked like on my 650

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    No offense, but you're not the 1st Palm/WM5 convert. You could have searched around here or say the Software section and gotten these same results.
    Yes, I have actually searched these and other forums extensively. I guess I was just surprised at what wasn't standard with WM5 compared to Palm and yes, if I'd never used palm, I'd not be having this little quiet cry. I've probably been looking more at the fact we essentially comparing 2 near identical phones, both Treos, yet the two couldn't be more different at the same time.

Sorry, my initial post wasn't a gripe, just observations more than anything. I'll crawl back under my rock now.
    That Keyguard you are showing is a 3rd party app. AE Button Plus is a 3rd party app for WM5 that has a popup with the time, day and date in large fonts which you can assign to just about any button. AE Button Plus is pretty sweet and I don't remember having something like it on my 650 or 700p. Why does Palm OS lack such a simple tweak like this?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Yep, I know about this one. It works, I'm just taking a while to "let go" of the Palm OS.

This is what the key guard looked like on my 650

Yes, I have actually searched these and other forums extensively. I guess I was just surprised at what wasn't standard with WM5 compared to Palm and yes, if I'd never used palm, I'd not be having this little quiet cry. I've probably been looking more at the fact we essentially comparing 2 near identical phones, both Treos, yet the two couldn't be more different at the same time.

Sorry, my initial post wasn't a gripe, just observations more than anything. I'll crawl back under my rock now.
    don't crawl under your rock your observation about the Treos being the same yet completely different is spot on. Just hang around here and the software section (and ppcgeeks, cough) and you'll soon learn there are tons and tons of solutions.

and Stroths is totally correct: AE Button plus does have a large date/clock (not analog though) that can pop up every time you turn the device on. AEB+ is fantastic and powerful software, highly recommended.

Hey Mal -

I was just playing with AEB+ since I never really did before, and I noticed it slowed down my system quite a bit... as in, if I program, say the start key for one keypress to launch the start menu and for two keypresses to launch file explorer, if I hit it once, it takes a second longer than usual to get the start menu... have you noticed anything like this? Is it because it has to figure out if you're going to hit it a second time before it performs the action?
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    Hey Mal -

I was just playing with AEB+ since I never really did before, and I noticed it slowed down my system quite a bit... as in, if I program, say the start key for one keypress to launch the start menu and for two keypresses to launch file explorer, if I hit it once, it takes a second longer than usual to get the start menu... have you noticed anything like this? Is it because it has to figure out if you're going to hit it a second time before it performs the action?
    The only button I do not map to is the WinKey (start button) because I noticed a delay too (it has to due to the program design) so I don't recommend using that button, just leave it to System.

Interesting... thanks... other than that - you'd say this is one of your "indispensable" programs?
    END OF LINE
    Interesting... thanks... other than that - you'd say this is one of your "indispensable" programs?
    Definitely. Top 5 easily. (I'd also include PhoneAlarm, MagiCall, Resco Explorer, TodayAgenda)

I think I'm going to hold off for now... I programmed the center button (enter) to have its default value with one press, and toggle BT with two, and when I go into WP-Pilot, it messes with my menu. If I press one time to open the menu, it automatically selects whatever I hover over... strange.
    END OF LINE
    I think I'm going to hold off for now... I programmed the center button (enter) to have its default value with one press, and toggle BT with two, and when I go into WP-Pilot, it messes with my menu. If I press one time to open the menu, it automatically selects whatever I hover over... strange.
    yeah, you just need to play with it and find what works for you. it's not a perfect solution but any limitations is due purely to how WM5 is designed (I've discussed this extensively with the developer e.g. the soft keys won't work in Full screen IE mode)

But things like the Task Manager (allows you to select/go to any running program or close it my moving the d-pad right) and the Action screen are just indispensable for my daily use.

It's a trade off. WM5 has plenty of built in functionality that requires third party software on palm. I switched from the 700p to the 700wx because most of the palm software I bought was to emulate basic windows functionality.
    You ask why it doesn't come with these "simple tweaks," yet all the tweaks you mentioned DID NOT come with Palm OS. Does that make sense?

"Simple tweaks" are not for everyone, and the "simple" ones are usually available AND free.
    What? Go to setting -> personal -> Keyguard. Every 700w, 700wx, and 750v has it. Not a third party, works the same as Palm OS.

Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    That Keyguard you are showing is a 3rd party app. AE Button Plus is a 3rd party app for WM5 that has a popup with the time, day and date in large fonts which you can assign to just about any button. AE Button Plus is pretty sweet and I don't remember having something like it on my 650 or 700p. Why does Palm OS lack such a simple tweak like this?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    bcaslis, the screenshot shown was the actual stock keyguard app included with PalmOS? It looked like KeyguardTime+ to me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  20.    #20  
    I guess I titled this thread poorly. It was more about "things I miss the most about my 650".

It's not a knock on the 700wx.

I'm testing AEB and Keylight now. Actually, I used AEB to asign the Keylight to the space bar (on long press) but now I can't see how to program "space" or "normal" to a single press with the space bar.

Still - everything's starting to feel normal now.

BTW - I've also noticed that little delay caused by AEB. I have a couple of functions assigned to the right soft key, and now a normal single click default operation takes a little longer than usual to pop up the menu. No biggie though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast