Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Ok, for the past 2 weeks I have had my Treo 700w and I like it so far EXCEPT the issue with its low Program Memory allocations of 25mb.

After snooping around I found out that the Treo 700wx has more available program RAM of about 57mb!!!
    Thats double the RAM and I bet that is helpful considering my 700w would slow down when I start actually using it.

So I contacted Palm and Verizon.
    They BOTH told me that the Treo 700w and 700wx are EXACTLY the same thing just that the 700w is for Verizon and the 700wx is for Sprint!

Then I started seeing rumored posts that the 700wx "may" be released to Verizon as soon as end of January 2007.

So can someone here please tell me what are the exact differences between the 700w vs 700wx with proof and stuff.
    I am going crazy here from people telling me this and that.
    ahhhhh!
    The real difference is the RAM, and it's a huge difference. You can run many more programs on the 700wx at the same time w/out it freezing like the 700w does. The RAM makes all the difference.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    The real difference is the RAM, and it's a huge difference. You can run many more programs on the 700wx at the same time w/out it freezing like the 700w does. The RAM makes all the difference.
    Ya, tahst what I have been reading.
    That the ONLY difference really is the RAM.

But Verizon, Sprint and Palm are denying it
    Press and hold the OK button on your 700w. List what you have for storage and program memory. Here is what I have on my 700wx after a soft reset.

Storage:
    Total: 62.95 MB
    In use: 48.39 MB
    Free: 14.56MB

Program:
    Total: 57.45 MB
    In use: 18.13 MB
    Free: 39.32 MB
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    This is what I have on my 700w after a soft reset:

Storage:
    Total: 62.94mb
    In use: 20.09mb
    Free: 42.84mb

Program:
    Total: 25.45mb
    Used: 16.50mb
    Free: 8.95mb

Really pisses me off when the vendors themselves do not know or just plain denies the fact grrrr

Well, I talked to a Verizon Store rep and they stated I should be able to return the 700w and still should be able to get the discounts for renewing my 2 yr contract and for my New Every 2 discount for upto 6mths.
    (I am already 1 day over my 15 day trial so they said its annotated in my account in the DB.)

I have read the rumors about the 700wx "may" arrive at verizon at the end of January so I may just reactivate my old standard phone while I wait for the 700wx to come from Verizon.
    I am also tempted to switch to Sprint as they already have the 700wx and it will cost me the same for my wife and me to have a Family share plan with them as we do with Verizon ...
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Heres mine too...

Storage
    Total: 62.95mb
    In use: 41.92mb
    Free: 21.03mb

Program
    Total: 57.45mb
    In use: 14.97mb
    Free: 42.48mb

Hey man, its like your on a quest with this w/wx thing. Been reading your posts all round these days... Just get the wx already you will thank us later ;-)
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Ya I am on a quest alright lol.

Thing is, if I get the 700wx now, my ONLY choice is Sprint.
    Not sure exactly how Sprint is in my area, probably ok as I am 15min drive to NYC and Sprint looks like it has teh same coverage as Verizon according to their maps.

OR I could just return my 700w and just play the waiting game with Verizon and suffer Treo withdrawals while waiting.

I did find out that I get 8% Employee discount with Sprint and 22% Discount with Verizon.

So the choices now is:
    • Return the 700w to Verizon.
      **** my wife off by changing her phone again and switch to Sprint and hopefully we get good service.
    • Return the 700w to Verizon and play the waiting game.
    I would go for option 3, keep the 700W (stick with Verizon as it has the best service in our area) & sell the 700w on ebay if & when the 700wx comes out.

Yes its annoying that the 700w has low memory, but once the 700wx comes out, you will be glad you waited. Spint in our area is spotty at best.

Verizon is more expensive but its worth it with the coverage (which is what this is all about anyway).
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Hmm.
    Option 3 sounds reasonable.
    (Kinda like the Using the Total Protection to hopefully switch to the 700wx option).

Also, ConsumerReport just posted a news on cell phone service and it rated Verizon on top and Sprint not to far from the bottom
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...serve_ov_1.htm

RichKlein:
    So you are in Westchester NY area and you find Sprint to be not that great compared to Verizon?
    Kilim,

I am over in Yorktown Heights but I tend to work anywhere from White Plains to Tarrytown for my 9-5 job. Sprint really is spotty in Westchester from my experience with them. Verizon has some wierd areas too (certain parts of the Hutch Parkway) but its nice having service just about everywhere vs the sprint service which consisted of conversations where I would drop 5 times on a trip from White Plains to Mahopac on Sprint, vs 1 call on Verizon for the same trip.

I suppose the reason their data & voice is so much more expensive is because they really have their ducks in a row, at least around Westchester.

The old saying, you get what you pay for, is certainly true with Sprint.

Again, this is for Westchester County NY specifically, I am sure Sprint is the greatest thing ever in other parts of the country. So, any sprint lovers, dont come after me!
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Well, I am mostly in Southern Westchester.

White Plains, Scarsdale, Yonkers, Mount Vernon and Armonk.
    We been to Yorktown a few times specially when WalMart only had a store there and now they have one in WP also.
    (The wife loves that place soemhow )

Sometimes we go on vacation at her hometown in Wilmington NC and I have had great Verizon service there before.

Also have some family in Norfolk VA.

But for now, I am mostly in Westchester NY.

Guess I will sleep on it and see how it goes tomorrow when I stop by both Sprint and Verizon again ...
    Keep in mind that sprint customers can roam on verizons voice AND data network. Most of sprints plan include unlimited roaming.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Isn’t there a slight difference in Bluetooth between the W vs wx?
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Keep in mind that sprint customers can roam on verizons voice AND data network. Most of sprints plan include unlimited roaming.
    What ya mean Sprint can roam into Verizon Voice and Data network?
    How you do this and does this mean you get same Verizon service with the piggyback?
    This legit?
    Will it cause problems?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Just so you don't have to read more again I wll summarize the roaming thing.

Yes, all Sprint customers with the latest plans can roam for free on Verizon.

On the wx, all you have to do is go the phone options and choose "use roaming networks only".

That's it, your signal will be handed over to the nearest verizon tower, data included.

Verizon didn't agree to share their EV-DO network (at least for now), so when you're roaming you will only get 1x, which is pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Also Sprint's contract states that they can terminate or charge an account if you "abuse" this service. Obviously verizon says the same to THEIR customers on THEIR network so its only obvious that Sprint would make such a statement, even though if you read tons and tons of posts people used voice roaming for a LONG time and never got charged anything, seems like sprint doesn't really care.

I use roaming myself all the time, and it works great.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein View Post
    I would go for option 3, keep the 700W (stick with Verizon as it has the best service in our area) & sell the 700w on ebay if & when the 700wx comes out.

Yes its annoying that the 700w has low memory, but once the 700wx comes out, you will be glad you waited. Spint in our area is spotty at best.

Verizon is more expensive but its worth it with the coverage (which is what this is all about anyway).
    EXACTLY what I'm doing. The 700W is fine if you know how to tweak it.
    Careful, the 1x data roaming maxes out at around 125kbps so if you are planing on slinging that's not going to be a very good picture. So unless Sprint has EVDO in your area you might find yourself in a not so good situation roaming on vzw. If vzw's EVDO is good in your area I'd stick with them unless you know Sprint has equivalent coverage.
    I just got my latest Sprint (SERO) bill and have a charge for ""Wireless Web Roaming" @ $.39/min. Luckily I only had 4 minutes of it. Anyone else seen this?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Does 1xrtt ring through work for us Sprint customers when roaming on VZ? It should right?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast