Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I have had my Treo 700w for about 2 weeks now from Verizon.
    (Tomorrow is the last day of my 15day "Worry free guarantee")
    Its good so far except for some issues.

The issue I would notice is that it sometimes may freeze if I have run one program after another which would require me to Soft Reset it.

I have just also realize that the 700w has ONLY a 25mb Program Memory.
    With a Soft Reset my 700w ONLY has around 11mb Free memory for programs.
    It would hover around 4-5mb Free memory after running my usual stuff with it.

Is this normal?
    And is there any way to improve my Treo 700w's performance?

At this time my current programs installed are:

PocketBreeze
    ContactBreeze
    PocketWeather
    iLauncher
    Pocket Informant Pro 2007
    Flex Wallet 2006
    WisBar Adv. 2
    TCPMP
    You may want to consider getting the 700wx from Sprint. It has 64mb of program memory and it usually hovers around 35 to 45mb of free memory.

There is no possiible way to add more program memory

You have no idea what we've all been thru.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sargeslaughter View Post
    You may want to consider getting the 700wx from Sprint. It has 64mb of program memory and it usually hovers around 35 to 45mb of free memory.

There is no possiible way to add more program memory

You have no idea what we've all been thru.
    Ugh.

I have been using Verizon for the past few years and most of my family use Verizon.

I was actually debating on switching to Verizon but I got my 700w for $150 after the Mail-in rebate is processed
    Besides, I was not sure how is Sprint network compared to Verizon where I live here in Westchester, NY.

At this time I have good network w/ Verizon here in NY or when I was in Wilmington, NC during my vacation.

Gaaaaah!
    There are several threads here that can help you with your 700w memory issues. Search for Oxios Hibernate. There is also a reg change to help with multitasking.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=113574

Here is a version of Oxios Hibernate w/o the splash screen.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&postcount=57

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124995
    Last edited by hannip; 12/19/2006 at 05:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    There are several threads here that can help you with your 700w memory issues. Search for Oxios Hibernate. There is also a reg change to help with multitasking.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=113574

Here is a version of Oxios Hibernate w/o the splash screen.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&postcount=57

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124995
    Hmm.
    Does this mean I may actually save my 700w and stay with Verizon?
    (I just remembered that I have a 22% employee discount thru my company on my plan with Verizon.)

WHile I was reading that thread it stated soemthing about Memmaid and also Oxios Hibernate.

What is the difference between the two and which is better?
    Do I need both?
    (Other than Oxios Hibernate is Free and memmaid is not)
    (I also noticed a v1.40 for Oxios as well.)

PS:

I just installed the Oxios memory v1.3
    Do I just run the Hibernate and CloseApp program and it works or I have to run it each time manually?
    Or do they run independently even after a soft reset?
    Last edited by Kilim; 12/19/2006 at 06:34 PM.
    Memmaid was just used to add Oxios Hibernate to the notification queue so that it would run automatically. You can run Oxios manually or assign it to a button also.

You don't want to use the 1.40 version of Oxios since it throws up a splash screen every time it is run.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Memmaid was just used to add Oxios Hibernate to the notification queue so that it would run automatically. You can run Oxios manually or assign it to a button also.

You don't want to use the 1.40 version of Oxios since it throws up a splash screen every time it is run.
    So what I really just need is Oxios memory as a program?
    I am still kinda confused so please bear with me.

IF I want to have auto run of Oxios Hibernate, I should get Memmaid or SK Tools?

IF I just want to run it manually just assign a Button to it?
    (So that means it has to be run each time so it can "clear/clean" some memory space?
    SO whenever the memory is starting to go low, I can just click a button to run Oxios Hibernate as ofeten as I want to clear up memory space that is wasted?
    )

Do I even need to use the Oxios Close Apps program?
    Last edited by Kilim; 12/19/2006 at 06:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    hannip's advice is golden (as usual). The threads he noted are things you'll want to read. The other point to consider is a rumor that Verizon may release the 700wx in the next few weeks. This is only a RUMOR as far as I've heard. What you might really want to do is check with your local VZW store. Tell them you're having memory issues and see if they either want to give you another device to try for 15 days (while you're waiting to see if the wx really gets released), OR see if they'll commit to a swap (plus the cash difference) should the wx come out soon. I'm sure it'll be more expensive than what you paid for your w, but it might well be worth it. I'm not sure what their 30-day policy is, but I had to switch to WM last December before the w came out and I got stuck with a 6600. After the w came out, I went back to the same store (about 21 days after purchase) and they didn't have a problem upgrading me to the w for just the price difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilim View Post
    So what I really just need is Oxios memory as a program?
    Correct

I am still kinda confused so please bear with me.

IF I want to have auto run of Oxios Hibernate, I should get Memmaid or SK Tools?
    You can use the trial version to do it. No need to pay for it unless you want to use them after the trial is over.

IF I just want to run it manually just assign a Button to it?
    So that means it has to be run each time so it can "clear/clean" some memory space?
    It needs to be run whenever you want to clean up your memory.

Do I even need to use the Oxios Close Apps program?
    No.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    @mixman
    I think I will go to my Verizon store tomorrow as I have no school and will just drag my 4yr old after I drop off the wifey at her work tomorrow.
    Gonna see what I can do I guess and hopefully it will work out.

Still iffy in the swicth to Sprint to get the 700wx because I have most of my family in verizon and I get that 22% discount also.
    And I do not know what is better for me in Network connectivity with Sprint vs Verizon

@hannip
    Thanks.

been helping me alot in this new world of mine since I got my Treo (which I love so MUCH!)
    I think Ill go DL the trial version of Memmaid and see how that works.

PS:
    I figured out how to upload my playlist using auto sync w/ WMP

PPS:
    So with Memaid and Oxios Memory:
    - I can run Memmaid for its default stuff to clean up and protect my 700w while also making Oxios Hibernate to clean up more memory whenever notifications are run?
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Kilim - to clarify, I was speaking of the 700wx coming to Verizon. I'm in the same situation as you with too many friends and family on VZW to switch to another carrier. I was just suggesting you -might- want to wait to see if this rumor is true (or see if the local store will take care of you should you stick it out with the 700w).
    Last edited by mixman; 12/19/2006 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    I would switch to a 6700 before you get too used to the palm's enhancements to the os.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Glad I could help

I don't use Memaid, I use SK Tools. To make Oxios Hibernate run automatically you select the Notification Queue in SK Tools or Memmaid and add a new entry. Select the Oxios Memory program to run when the device wakes up.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Hmm.
    Both SK tools and Memmaid cost a few bucks after the Trial period.

Which is considered the best out of the 2? Sk tools or Memaid?

(Or maybe I can just click the side button to launch Hibernate manually as needed ...)

as for the 6700:
    Can you use it as a Media Player because I use my 700w as my main media player while I am driving and working out.

as for Verizon:
    I guess I am just going to go there and pray soemthing good comes up with an expectation of nothing good when I get there.

Hmm evil tought pops up.
    I have the Total Insurance Package with verizon for my Treo.
    Maybe worst case scenario, I can use it to exchange to the next upgraded Treo that they may have in the future within my 2 yr contract ...
    Last edited by Kilim; 12/19/2006 at 08:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Just give back the 700w and wait for the wx to be available through Verizon... probably another month... thats not so bad... especially to double your RAM!!!

Just my 2cents....

Paul G
    <><
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Kilim, if I were you, i would get the 700wx on Sprint.
    You got a new device, its cool and all, but once the dust settles, you will not like your 700w. Especially if you are using as a main media player, like you said.

You will almost never run out of memory on the wx, even with heavy usage.

Also, about switching... Have you ever considered that Sprint plans are MUCH cheaper than verizon? I'm sure you can get a better deal on Sprint on the same plan, with the same features, and it will cost you less, even with a 22% discount, especially if you plan to get unlimited internet ($15 against $40 something)

Also, if you find a place that has poor coverage or no coverage on Sprint(which i doubt in NY), you can go into the options on the phone and actually force your phone to use the verizon network, as much as you want, no extra charge. Even internet works, you lose ev-do, but that's a fair trade-off IMHO.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Man this sucks.
    All i want is more program RAM and that means the 700wx YET Verizon is SLOW on getting it

I think that Oxios Hibernate is helping as now the program free memory is hovering around 8mb on normal use instead of 4-5mb!

So doing a quick Cost comparison with Verizon and Sprint for my plans.

Verizon:

Cost------Item
    39.00-----500 Family Share Plan mins w/ 22% Employee Discount
    11.98-----Total Coverage Insurance for both phones
    10.00-----250 txt/pix for each phone
    09.99-----2nd line
    45.99-----Unlimited Data package of 10gb

116.96 TOTAL

Sprint:

Cost------Item

59.99-----550 Family Share Plan mins
    15.00-----Sprint Vision Access Pack for Wifes Phone for Pix
    20.00-----Sprint Power Vision plus for my Data Package
    10.00-----300 SMS Txt for each phone
    00.00-----2nd line
    12.00-----Total Equip. Coverage for both phones

116.99 TOTAL

The Above totals does NOT include taxes yet.

My wife and I like to send Pix and that would require the Sprint Vision Access pack for her that will cost $15.
    The Data package will cover the Pix for my phone for $20 with Sprint.
    We usually use around 300-400 mins from our current 500 min Family Share Plan.

In the end, its practically the same price for monthly cost with either Sprint or Verizon.
    (And most of my family are in Verizon ...)

Now the ONLY problem is Sprint has the 700wx and Verizon has the 700w

I may have to just stick with Verizon and pray I can get some sort of discount when the 700wx comes out for them
    (Which is highly doubtful)

PS:
    Is Sprint's Unlimited Web/Data really unlimited?
    Or is it liek Verizon that has a limit, which for Verizon its 10gb.

PPS:
    I was playing around with Memmaid and SK tools and uninstalled both.
    But before I uninstalled memmaid, I was playing with the Notification Q for Oxios Hibernate.
    I also tried to see how the v1.4 w/ Splash screen is with Hibernate and find it weird that soemhow, Hibernate will run on device wake up even after memmaid has been uninstalled ...
    (I also found memmaid much easier to use for me than SK tools and Memmaid ran better and faster on my 700w compared to SK Tools.)
    Last edited by Kilim; 12/20/2006 at 12:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilim View Post
    PS:
    Is Sprint's Unlimited Web/Data really unlimited?
    Or is it liek Verizon that has a limit, which for Verizon its 10gb.
    Sprint so far appears to be really unlimited. However I did a lot of Slinging on my VZW plan and never had a problem. I hit 4GB once and never got any warnings.

PPS:
    I was playing around with Memmaid and SK tools and uninstalled both.
    But before I uninstalled memmaid, I was playing with the Notification Q for Oxios Hibernate.
    I also tried to see how the v1.4 w/ Splash screen is with Hibernate and find it weird that soemhow, Hibernate will run on device wake up even after memmaid has been uninstalled ...
    (I also found memmaid much easier to use for me than SK tools and Memmaid ran better and faster on my 700w compared to SK Tools.)
    The notification queue is a database on your treo. You used Memmaid to add a new entry. When you uninstall memmaid it doesn't change your notification queue, so your new entry remains.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Hmm.
    if I do a Hard reset to clear up everything in my Treo.
    Will those stuff done by memmaid/sk tools stay or will the Treo revert back to Factory reset as if I just bought it?

PS:
    if I get a hold of a 700wx, can't I have Verizon make it work for me?
    or it has to be a Verizon specific phone?
    A hard reset will revert it back.

As far as I know there is no way to get VZW to activate a Sprint 700wx on their network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast