Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kilim,
    A hard reset will wipe out all changes and make it just like when you first got it.

Verizon would have to activate the ESN on their network and its against their policy to do that since its not their phone. There are rare cases where someone got a rep to do it, but its unlikely.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Man this sucks lol.

Talked to a Palm and Verizon Rep and they all deny any info
    Worst thing is, the Palm rep was trying to convince me that the 700wx is the exact same thing as the 700w except that the 700w is for Verizon and the 700wx is for Sprint!

I had to convince him this isn't the case and I just ended up hanging up on him because he wouldn't belive me!

So for now I guess I will just keep my 700w and stay with Verizon.
    I know they have great service for the area I am in and they have helped me a few times before.

As for the Hard Reset.
    Thanks for the info.
    Really new to PPC so may ask redundant questions
    i also did find the Device Reset program from the Palm website and it is "suppose" to be more effective than a Hard reset.
    So I guess I will do that after I finish playing with some Trial Software.

For now, I did notice that my 700w will hover at around 7-8mb after normal use in Free Program Mem vs the 4-5mb I used to have.
    Pretty sure that everything would be much better if I have the 700wx's extra memory but all I have to do now is just wait and see.

thanks for the info on Oxios Memory and Memmaid/SK Tools.
    Def worth using Oxios Memory v1.3 if you do not want to see the splash screen, which can get annoying after a while.
    For me, I also found Memmaid easier to use than SK Tools.
    SK Tools somehow lags in my 700w and not sure if its the program itself or my 700w just acting up.
    Would like to know other 700w users if they experience some lag using SK tools to see if its just me.

In all, thanks to everyonbe here
    Best Treo community by far that I visited!
    The Device Reset program Palm offers was supposed to address issues of people recoving data on used Treos that have been hard reset. Kind of like how when you delete a file on a PC, its still there until that space is needed.

However, others have mentioned that the tool is still not that effective. If you are just worried about starting clean, a hard reset should suffice. If you are selling it, use that tool or search for the MSL zero reset method.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    The Device Reset program Palm offers was supposed to address issues of people recoving data on used Treos that have been hard reset. Kind of like how when you delete a file on a PC, its still there until that space is needed.

However, others have mentioned that the tool is still not that effective. If you are just worried about starting clean, a hard reset should suffice. If you are selling it, use that tool or search for the MSL zero reset method.
    Thanks for that added info.
    Now I know to use the Device Reset when I decide to sell the 700w later on.

I am still kinda shocked that the Palm rep would state that the 700w and 700wx are exactly the same machine!
    Gah!
    According to the specs on their website, they are the same. If enough people get together and write a letter to Palm complaining (like they did for the 700p), that may change. :-)
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robodude View Post
    According to the specs on their website, they are the same. If enough people get together and write a letter to Palm complaining (like they did for the 700p), that may change. :-)
    Ya, its lame to disillusion consumers like that.
    Only reason I figured it out is by actively reading and digging stuff out about the Treo.

On the Hard Reset again.
    It won't cause my Treo any problems if I do Hard Reset multiple times right?
    Like I would do a Hard Reset after I play around with a bunch of Trial Software and uninstall them and keep the ones I like and bought.
    This is perfectly fine and won't cause any problems right?

Just like doing a Soft Reset every now and then is ok as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilim View Post
    On the Hard Reset again.
    It won't cause my Treo any problems if I do Hard Reset multiple times right?
    Like I would do a Hard Reset after I play around with a bunch of Trial Software and uninstall them and keep the ones I like and bought.
    This is perfectly fine and won't cause any problems right?

Just like doing a Soft Reset every now and then is ok as well?
    I do several hard resets a day testing stuff and it has no negative effect on the treo.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I do several hard resets a day testing stuff and it has no negative effect on the treo.
    Excellent

If I do hard Reset, I do not need to worry about uninstalling the softwares installed individually right?
    Or should I uninstall each of them anyways prior to hard reset?
    It doesn't matter. They will all be gone after a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thanks again

I feel much better now that I went thru this whole process.
    Learned alot.

Finally decided to just stay with Verizon and hope for the best

I am not sure if it's just me, but I think after having Hibernate running in my 700w, it seems to run a bit better.

So I am off to buy Memmaid as it works for me and then doing a Hard Reset to keep my baby clean
    I have a 700w and after much tweaking, I'm pleased with its performance. I use memmaid/Oxios Hibernate, minimal today screen apps, and did the registry tweak so more apps can run. This makes the 700w usable until a better device is available -- hopefully one that has Blackberry Connect.

I've registered but don't run most of the apps you've listed because they are memory hogs or not really necessary. For example, I don't see the need for Contactbreeze nor the weather on my today screen. The built-in lookup is good and when I need the weather there are a lot of ways to get it (weatherwatch, PIE links, google, etc.). Wisbar Adv is nice eye candy but Wisbar Lite does the job with less memory. I haven't seen a need for ilauncher anymore.

If I were you, I'd wait for the 700wx.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Hmm, I am going to test WisBar Lite and tuning out some of the plug-ins if that helps.

I normally put iLauncher and the WeatherPanel in 1 of the Tabs of PocketBreeze.
    This would still take up resoruces even though they are tabbed?

My last chance to return my 700w is today and if I return it I would have to use my old basic regular phone

Guess I will just try to see if some of teh tweaks will improve it.
    I am unsure on how to do the Registry tweaks though

Are you talking about the thing that was posted in this thread?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124995

If the 700wx somehow appears in a month or so...
    ... maybe my 700w will accidently get lost/dropped/broken and hopefully I can get it replaced with a 700wx due to my Total Insurance plan ...
    (Which covers upto 2 replacements per year max $1200)
    Last edited by Kilim; 12/21/2006 at 04:42 PM.
    Yes that's the one he is referring to. You'll need a registry editor to make that change. Resco Registry editor is a popular choice, though not free. I think Total Commander can do registry also and is free.

http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm

http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/explorer/indepth.asp
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    DOwnloaded Total Commander.

Soemhow cannot figure out how to open the registry file that I need to do the memorory hack linked above

Never done a registry edit on a PPC so please guide me
    I think the registry editor that comes with Total Commander is installed as a separate app. Look for a program called registry editor or somesuch name.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Found my answer in antoher thread soemwhere.
    Forgot where as I was surfing thru so much stuff tonite lol.

The Registry folder is within the "\\" folder!
    Didn't realize that was a folder by itself and didn't even look there.
    Now to go and be adventurous lol.

PS:

IF I do a Hard Reset, it should reset the registry also right?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12