Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I'm about to purchase a Slingbox or install the Orb software on my cpu but I'm trying to decide which to use. What are the pros & cons of each & since I have the 700w with VERY limited RAM,will it be a good idea to wait for the 700wx to start using such a program or does it run smoothly on the 700w? I do have a DVR at home so hopefully both those options have that functionality.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I am running Orb on my 700wx and the only info I can offer is that the live TV is a bit choppy over the EVDO connection. But all in all I've found Orb to beat my expectations an for a great price...Free!
    The 700w does preform pretty well with slingBox.I do recomend you research your verzion data coverage area.They have been known for piping down data inturn outskirts of there covergae maps can be slow slow and very slow.It,s a must to have 145 kbps for smooth optmization.When it comes to ORB hmmm ive stayed away from it after a major hack took apart my harddrive when using.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    I'm about to purchase a Slingbox or install the Orb software on my cpu but I'm trying to decide which to use. What are the pros & cons of each & since I have the 700w with VERY limited RAM,will it be a good idea to wait for the 700wx to start using such a program or does it run smoothly on the 700w? I do have a DVR at home so hopefully both those options have that functionality.
    SLINGBOX all the way. No question. And being that its only 109 bucks, you can't go wrong
    If you have a capture card in your computer already, then I would say ORB. Otherwise, it will cost just about the same money to stream live tv from your PC as it would be to buy the slingbox.

That being said, for me Orb seems to be the better choice, since my home desktop has dual tuners running Beyond TV as my DVR software. I then stream the recorded shows via Orb to my 700wx, and after a couple days of testing, it has worked great so far. Added benefits also are being able to view the webcams connected to my computer to peek in on my dog while at work, stream my music collection, view my RSS feeds, and view youtube videos. I turned off live tv streaming, because I don't want it to interfere with Beyond TV recording shows.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    COnfused new Treo user here

Question:

With Slingbox, I do NOT need to have my PC running all the time?
    I can just hook it up to my TV Cable line and I would be able to watch Cable TV from my laptop or Treo?

I currently turned my home PC into a HTPC and it has DUal TV Tuners installed.
    Running 1 of my cable lines into my PC.
    Was wondering if I can get a cable adapter and hook it up to slingbox so it can use it as its own cable line?

No idea how Slingbox or orb works here so please treat me like a new puppy

PS:

Will I need to but BOTH the Slingbox and Slingplayer to be able to use it on my Treo and laptop?
  7. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Can u have both Orb & Slingbox installed on your handset & choose whether you want to stream your personal mp3's from your cpu using Orb,close that app then stream live TV through Slingbox?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilim View Post
    COnfused new Treo user here

Question:

With Slingbox, I do NOT need to have my PC running all the time?
    I can just hook it up to my TV Cable line and I would be able to watch Cable TV from my laptop or Treo?
    The slingbox does not use your PC, it is self contained. Typically you connect the output from a cablebox/DVR/Tivo into the input of the slingbox. There are 2 IR blasters that come out of the slingbox that you point at the IR receptors on your cablebox/DVR/Tivo etc to control them just like using your remote control at home. If you want to connect a cable line directly to the slingbox there is a Tuner version that can switch the channels for you, but it doesn't decode digital channels so it would only work for basic cable. It's much more functional connecting your cablebox to the slingbox so you can watch everything that you subscribe to.

I currently turned my home PC into a HTPC and it has DUal TV Tuners installed.
    Running 1 of my cable lines into my PC.
    Was wondering if I can get a cable adapter and hook it up to slingbox so it can use it as its own cable line?
    Yes, the limitations I've already stated above.

No idea how Slingbox or orb works here so please treat me like a new puppy

PS:

Will I need to but BOTH the Slingbox and Slingplayer to be able to use it on my Treo and laptop?
    The Slingplayer for your laptop is free. For the treo they want you to pay a small one time fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Can u have both Orb & Slingbox installed on your handset & choose whether you want to stream your personal mp3's from your cpu using Orb,close that app then stream live TV through Slingbox?
    Sure, why not.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    hannip to teh rescue again

Great I am not busy at work here to learn new stuff

I only have basic cable so the tuner version should be enough for me I guess.
    (My 4 yr old actually has the digital cable box in his room so he can watch the 4 additional kid channels lol.)

So I guess if I want to watch Cable TV on my Laptop I just need to get Slingbox and the free SlingPlayer.
    And if I want to watch Cable TV in my Treo, just pay for the SlingPlayer mobile huh?

Is there a way to go thru my Home PC to be able to watch a recorded show from my HTPC to my laptop/Treo via slingbox?

Also.
    How is the performance of using Slingplayer on the 700w?
    hannip to teh rescue again

Great I am not busy at work here to learn new stuff

I only have basic cable so the tuner version should be enough for me I guess.
    (My 4 yr old actually has the digital cable box in his room so he can watch the 4 additional kid channels lol.)
    Ok, make sure you get a slingbox with a built in tuner then. Either the Classic slingbox (still available several places) or the slingbox TUNER. The slingbox AV does not have a bulit in tuner.

So I guess if I want to watch Cable TV on my Laptop I just need to get Slingbox and the free SlingPlayer.
    And if I want to watch Cable TV in my Treo, just pay for the SlingPlayer mobile huh?

Is there a way to go thru my Home PC to be able to watch a recorded show from my HTPC to my laptop/Treo via slingbox?
    Yes, you can connect the video and audio out from the back of your PC to the sllingbox inputs. Make sure the slingbox you are buying has multiple inputs if that's what you want to do. Again the slingbox classic is a good choice here. Note that you will need a way to control the PC. If it can be controlled via IR then the slingbox can do it.

Here is a review of the slingbox classic.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/articl...D6823C61839E84

Here is a review of the new slingboxes.
    http://www.slingcommunity.com/articl...Right-For-Me-/

I personally use the slingbox classic. It is basically all of the 3 new slingboxes put together excluding the HD inputs on the PRO.

Also.
    How is the performance of using Slingplayer on the 700w?
    Let's just say if you are in a good EVDO supported area you will be most impressed.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Ooh, I think there is still a Slingbox Classic at the CircuitCity near where I live.
    Must check it out this weekend.
    I think it was around $90 also last I checked.

Thanks again

<edit>

This is the SlingBox Classic that shpould be perfect for me right?

If not that, I should get the SlingBox Tuner or SlingBox Pro right?

And because I will split my cable line so the Slingbox will have its own Cable line, I will not have to worry about sharing cable connections with my other TV at home?

As for the Sling Player Mobile.
    I should get the PocketPC version not the SmartPhone version right?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    SLINGBOX all the way. No question. And being that its only 109 bucks, you can't go wrong
    Where you find the SlingBox for $109?
    Last edited by Kilim; 12/20/2006 at 05:48 PM.
    Ooh, I think there is still a Slingbox Classic at the CircuitCity near where I live.
    Must check it out this weekend.
    I think it was around $90 also last I checked.
    That would be an amazing deal!
    Thanks again

<edit>

This is the SlingBox Classic that shpould be perfect for me right?
    Yep that's the one.
    If not that, I should get the SlingBox Tuner or SlingBox Pro right?
    I think your choices are the classic or the pro since you want multiple inputs and tuner.
    And because I will split my cable line so the Slingbox will have its own Cable line, I will not have to worry about sharing cable connections with my other TV at home?
    Correct.

As for the Sling Player Mobile.
    I should get the PocketPC version not the SmartPhone version right?
    Correct.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Ooh I found a Slingbox Classic for $129.99 in a Best Buy about 15minutes from where I live by car!

It is shown in the official BB website as sold out but there should be one at this 1 store nearby.
    Will check it out tomorrow before I go to work and then hide it from the wife ...

Not too worried about Home PC control.
    If the SlingBox Classic can do it fine, if not its ok also.
    My Home PC is now my HTPC anyways and controls the TV and everything in my Livingroom so I probably do not want slingbox to take control of it anyways ...
  15. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Are you able to use Orb without the capture card to just stream mp3's & video thats stored on your cpu? Im about to order slingbox so I wont need Orb to stream tv but it would also be great to stream my own music & video.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Hmm Reading up on differences b/w Newer Slingbox vs Classic Slingbox.

Am I reading it right that if you are going to be using it primarily for remote viewing (ie: at work, on the bus, etc) the Classic is compareable to the newer ones in quality?

It is ONLY when you are connected via LAN line that the newer ones are better?
    (and I guess the HDTV thing?)
    Correct, for remote viewing the newer ones have the same resolution as the classic.
    I read a thread here last week that buy.com has them for 109.00. Sorry, should have stated that in my post. I never confirmed it though, but a few people here did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I read a thread here last week that buy.com has them for 109.00. Sorry, should have stated that in my post. I never confirmed it though, but a few people here did.
    I just got mine that way. Using GoogleCheckOut through Buy.com. Ordered at noon on Monday with free 7-9 day shipping and got it yesterday.

Coolest thing for my Treo yet...
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Well, I took my 4yr old with me to the 1 Best Buy in my area that still has the SlingBox Classic and bought it for $129 + Tax = $140.
    Decided to get the Classic as the way I am using the Slingbox the Classic version will be enough and cheapest.

Going to try and hook it up later tonite after I get home from work.

1 last question.

I should be able to use the slingbox just by using 1 basic cable tv line that I have split in my 3 way cable adapter and slingbox would not interfere with my regular cable tv service on my other 2 TV?
    I just use standard basic cable on that cable line.

here is an example of what I am talking about to be sure what I wanted to do should be ok?

----> Slingbox ----> Router ---> Laptop & Treo
    l
    l
    Basic Cable Line -----[3 way adapter] ------- > TV 1 (Independent TV use)
    l
    l
    -----> TV 2 (Independent TV use)

Without the Slingbox installed, I can watch different channels on my 2 TV at same time even though they share teh same basic cable TV line, its just split into 2 lines.
    Having a 3rd line for specific Slingbox use should be no problem for me right as I will just connect the 3rd basic cable tv line to it and then hook it up to my internet router?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast