Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    great and informative posts once again. BCaslis, is it fair or unfair to say that your experience with the resets was a by-product of adding a "new app or new version" of what it was you were installing? i've said time and time again, it's hard to fault a device for its misgivings with 3rd party software and perhaps that is why i love my Pearl so much as it does perfectly well right out of the box and in all facets. i personally think it's silly (i repeat, my opinion) that so many on here spend big money on the device and then "re-create it" by installing a staggering number of 3rd party applications to make them operate to their liking. i think it's great to have the options and power of choice but it somewhat seems defeatist for so many to defend a device by the makes of what isn't offered out of the box. on top of that, i question why the applications that come with the device (again, a function of the operating system which they choose, the topic of my thread) don't ever suffice. now i'm more confused than ever! it sounds as though i will either have to bite the bullet and absorb the cost of the 680 and wait out the release of the 750. it's sounding more and more like i will have to try the Cingular 750 to make the most sound and reasonable decision. the one thing that eats at me is why we WM users have to give up in the way of screen resolution as it doesn't make all that much sense.

regards and thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    bcaslis,

In another thread, someone said the voice dialing via BT on the 750 only works for BT Headphones (dual ear) and not single ear headsets..is that accurate?
    No that is not accurate.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    bcaslis,

Your 680 test result comments help to solidify my decision to bail on this device. I have to let go of my old Palm OS sentimentality eventhough I know that WM5 is no panacea either. I rely heavily upon the smooth sync transfer of my data between my PC and mobile device. I was just incredulous when the whole reset thing started happening. I was thinking, WTF? I have not configured anything squirrely or demanding at all with these conduits and my device needs to reset? Some folks will endlessly curse out MS Active sync but my experience with it has been smooth as silk. I love things to work that way whether it is from MS or not.

I used to feel all smug reading posts from all these power users crashing their devices and wondering why with all the crap they are trying to make play nice together. It was hard not to think that most of these problems were being asked for by un-reasonable, over demanding technophiles. Then along comes simple ol me trying to just sync my standard Palm OS PIM stuff with Outlook and I suddenly now have crash problems too. This is so disappointing because for all of week 1 this unit was flawless. I did not change a single thing (adding apps, etc.) to the device and out of the blue, it decides it no longer wants to hot sync with out resetting after. One other quick comment. I noticed that after a hot sync, there were randomly assigned blank notes (no text) attached to various appointments in my 680 eventhough there was no data on the corresponding Outlook appointment record. Very strange! Again, what is most strange for me is that I am unforgivingly returning Palm's (680) most recent, leading edge release.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
  4.    #24  
    will be interesting to see if a second chance with the 680 brings me different results. having started and read through the responses it seems like an un-branded and unlocked 750 would fit most of my needs and wants for a secondary device. i think that i might be ok with a 30 day window at this given point (680) in hopes of finding what i'm looking for within that time frame. thank you, manufacturers and carriers for allowing us this option.
    oalvarez,

Now I REALLY think you and I are coming from the same place. I like to fully understand and utilize what comes out of the box and then see the beauty to appreciate it for what it has by just expecting it to work reliably without any further notice or worry. In other words, I particularly like to NOT recreate or notice anything amiss with my device. I guess as I have stated earlier, I am not a tough user to please but I am somewhat demanding in my expectations with the basics.

For sure, there are desireable features missing from my Cingular 8125 WM5 device (faster processor, one handed hardware ease of use, etc.) but I knew all about this openly when I got it. With what it does have (included or lacking) out of the box, this has been the most boringly reliable device I have used for the past 6 months. I guess such a performance experience has now just spoiled the tinkering geek right out of me as I no longer seem to have the stomach to be willing to tolerate basic features not working as they should. For me, device problems and hiccups no longer appear as challenges but rather as a pain in the rear that I don't have the time to deal with.

I agree with the opinion that it is silly to spend huge sums for a device and then decry its lacking this or that feature and then spend even more in an attempt to re-create it. For many on this forum, that is the fun of it all but not for me. I am choosing to not fight it. My motto now is to carefully buy whatever features you expect you need in a device and then expect what you buy to work like it should.

On a side note, I think that the whole BT consortium needs to mature more. The Bluetooth marketing appeal has become so very hot in demand yet it remains a bit disingenous because although there are now standards agreed upon, the upgrade path remains bumpy in performance reality and that is probably what is driving someone like bcaslis crazy with his 750 car expectations challenge. A specific version of BT standard released should perform exactly as expected and not be dependent upon this or that device OS etc. If a device features a specific BT capability standard with accompanying function (such as automobile system or stereo headset support) then it should simply work. If it remains buggy and does not work reliably, this is a standards enforcement issue for the BT folks to address or they will lose credibility with the public. One should not have to experiment or shop around for the one perfect device for a given standard to work correctly. A bluetooth "standard" should mean exactly that...it is "standard" in its function and performance expectation out of the box. In other words, it simply works.

-THP

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    great and informative posts once again. BCaslis, is it fair or unfair to say that your experience with the resets was a by-product of adding a "new app or new version" of what it was you were installing? i've said time and time again, it's hard to fault a device for its misgivings with 3rd party software and perhaps that is why i love my Pearl so much as it does perfectly well right out of the box and in all facets. i personally think it's silly (i repeat, my opinion) that so many on here spend big money on the device and then "re-create it" by installing a staggering number of 3rd party applications to make them operate to their liking. i think it's great to have the options and power of choice but it somewhat seems defeatist for so many to defend a device by the makes of what isn't offered out of the box. on top of that, i question why the applications that come with the device (again, a function of the operating system which they choose, the topic of my thread) don't ever suffice. now i'm more confused than ever! it sounds as though i will either have to bite the bullet and absorb the cost of the 680 and wait out the release of the 750. it's sounding more and more like i will have to try the Cingular 750 to make the most sound and reasonable decision. the one thing that eats at me is why we WM users have to give up in the way of screen resolution as it doesn't make all that much sense.

Last edited by Nautilus Man; 12/18/2006 at 10:29 PM.
    I am also glad for the manufacturers and/or carriers allowance of this. There is likely a very significant enough profit margin for them to have this window. Besides, I am certain that they all want happy users too. The focus on this though needs to be on better execution and delivery of the basics IMO. Many old timers will reminisce that the current state of telecommunications is sometimes like it was 100 years ago with the early adopters of automobiles. If you wanted to go somewhere significant without a horse, you had to be willing to carry a toolbox to tinker and nurse your new machine along. Problems were common and you had to learn to deal with and overcome them with workarounds. Nowadays, we would never settle for less than a certain level of expected reliability with a new car. The expectation bar for the new car user experience has thankfully been raised. That will hopefully also be happening with new handheld devices as well.

Whether it is fully accurate or not, I love the implied power and direct meaning behind Verizon's marketing message "It's the Nework." Reliability and consistent "standards" are really the most important thing.

It is interesting to note that you employ a "primary" (BB Pearl) and a "secondary" device. In contrast, I just want my primary device to meet my needs. An unbranded, unlocked 750 will likely be the best for me also and I can then just keep my 8125 in storage as a back-up unit in the unlikely event of theft or loss of my primary device.

-THP

will be interesting to see if a second chance with the 680 brings me different results. having started and read through the responses it seems like an un-branded and unlocked 750 would fit most of my needs and wants for a secondary device. i think that i might be ok with a 30 day window at this given point (680) in hopes of finding what i'm looking for within that time frame. thank you, manufacturers and carriers for allowing us this option.
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 12/18/2006 at 10:36 PM.
    All I can say is that just adding some very simple and none system altering apps seemed to cause a reset sometime during the hotsync process. Things like eReader, or SplashID, or SplashPhoto. This is not running the apps, but simply hotsyncing the prc files. I can't think of more well behaved apps than things like these.

I can't say I've throughly tested it, but a crash while putting on a prc is not a third party problem, it's a Palm problem. These same apps have never crashed a 600, 650, or 700p.

This isn't to say the 680 is terrible, but there is no excuse for this with Palm. Another thing is that is seems like if the 680 is linked to a bluetooth car system (and maybe a headset I haven't tried it yet). When you make a first call after turning off the car, no matter how long has passed, the bluetooth still thinks it's connected. You have to turn press the no bluetooth button on the phone app on the call to get audio back. Other people have reported this and said Palm is aware of the problem. Again, no excuse for Palm, this sort of a bug should never have been there on a "mass audience" product.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    A couple of comments related to what you have said. I agree that testing a product yourself is the only way to find out. But to be honest, part of that is the problem that almost all of the reviews you find today are utterly, totally lame. I've yet to see a review that really told me something I couldn't tell from reading the specs. And at least 50% or more of the review have inaccurate information. One example is most of the Treo 700wx reviews said it has bluetooth DUN. It does not, it only has USB DUN.

Another comment on bluetooth. I think most of the manufacturer's are full of s***. I also hear the complaints about incompatibilities and inability to test all the combinations.

But you know what? Some manufacters consistently release products with bluetooth that just works fine. An example is Motorola. Their products work fine with bluetooth headsets, cars, you name it. The Motorola Q worked fine with everything it claimed to support that I tried (it didn't have bluetooth dun back then, but it does now). I know they didn't use the Microsoft bluetooth stack but wrote their own.

/being rant
    Why? So it would work. For those manufacturers with problems (I'm looking at you Palm), you have no one to blame but yourself. It's not the standard, it's lazy engineering and QA. Suck it up and do it right or don't release half implemented products.
    /end rant

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus Man View Post
    oalvarez,

Now I REALLY think you and I are coming from the same place. I like to fully understand and utilize what comes out of the box and then see the beauty to appreciate it for what it has by just expecting it to work reliably without any further notice or worry. In other words, I particularly like to NOT recreate or notice anything amiss with my device. I guess as I have stated earlier, I am not a tough user to please but I am somewhat demanding in my expectations with the basics.

For sure, there are desireable features missing from my Cingular 8125 WM5 device (faster processor, one handed hardware ease of use, etc.) but I knew all about this openly when I got it. With what it does have (included or lacking) out of the box, this has been the most boringly reliable device I have used for the past 6 months. I guess such a performance experience has now just spoiled the tinkering geek right out of me as I no longer seem to have the stomach to be willing to tolerate basic features not working as they should. For me, device problems and hiccups no longer appear as challenges but rather as a pain in the rear that I don't have the time to deal with.

I agree with the opinion that it is silly to spend huge sums for a device and then decry its lacking this or that feature and then spend even more in an attempt to re-create it. For many on this forum, that is the fun of it all but not for me. I am choosing to not fight it. My motto now is to carefully buy whatever features you expect you need in a device and then expect what you buy to work like it should.

On a side note, I think that the whole BT consortium needs to mature more. The Bluetooth marketing appeal has become so very hot in demand yet it remains a bit disingenous because although there are now standards agreed upon, the upgrade path remains bumpy in performance reality and that is probably what is driving someone like bcaslis crazy with his 750 car expectations challenge. A specific version of BT standard released should perform exactly as expected and not be dependent upon this or that device OS etc. If a device features a specific BT capability standard with accompanying function (such as automobile system or stereo headset support) then it should simply work. If it remains buggy and does not work reliably, this is a standards enforcement issue for the BT folks to address or they will lose credibility with the public. One should not have to experiment or shop around for the one perfect device for a given standard to work correctly. A bluetooth "standard" should mean exactly that...it is "standard" in its function and performance expectation out of the box. In other words, it simply works.

-THP
  9.    #29  
    It is interesting to note that you employ a "primary" (BB Pearl) and a "secondary" device. In contrast, I just want my primary device to meet my needs. An unbranded, unlocked 750 will likely be the best for me also and I can then just keep my 8125 in storage as a back-up unit in the unlikely event of theft or loss of my primary device.

-THP
    yes, perhaps not the most correct choice of words on my part. there is no replacing "my" Pearl at this juncture in that the usability combined with the pocketability of it (just as important as i'm always on the go, wear suit trousers, active weekender). would i at times enjoy a "larger device" to reap the benefits of a larger keyboard and screen (touchscreen too i suppose)? yes, but not for my monday-friday business needs. i would consider it nothing more than a back-up or "play toy" if you will for all other occasions. to make it more clear, i'm not willing to carry it in a belt pouch and absolutely hate the heavy brick feeling in my loose trouser pockets. does it absolutely work in a pair of jeans on those weekend days? yes. does it work if my wife carries it in her purse? yes as well. is it the most friendly device to have while waiting for your car at the auto-wash or at the airport waiting for your plane to board? absolutely.

you guys are good.
    bcaslis,

Excuse my ignorance but what is a "prc" file? Exactly what does prc mean? Also, while you are educating me, what is vault addin?

Thanks,

-THP

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    All I can say is that just adding some very simple and none system altering apps seemed to cause a reset sometime during the hotsync process. Things like eReader, or SplashID, or SplashPhoto. This is not running the apps, but simply hotsyncing the prc files. I can't think of more well behaved apps than things like these.

I can't say I've throughly tested it, but a crash while putting on a prc is not a third party problem, it's a Palm problem. These same apps have never crashed a 600, 650, or 700p.

This isn't to say the 680 is terrible, but there is no excuse for this with Palm. Another thing is that is seems like if the 680 is linked to a bluetooth car system (and maybe a headset I haven't tried it yet). When you make a first call after turning off the car, no matter how long has passed, the bluetooth still thinks it's connected. You have to turn press the no bluetooth button on the phone app on the call to get audio back. Other people have reported this and said Palm is aware of the problem. Again, no excuse for Palm, this sort of a bug should never have been there on a "mass audience" product.
    Wow what a great thread. I love my 750v plain and simple. I think putting windows in a phone was a great idea. I have tried all sorts of devices. POS, Symbian, Symbian/UIQ. I have always found WM the most easy to use. It works perfect for me, and my needs. After trying those pther devices I have come ti find that nothing beats a WM phone of course this is all IMO. They just work well, I love the multitaksing, and I think Palm has taken WM to another level with there tewaking. They really havetaken the best OS and has made it ine handed, which is really important to me. This is truly the best phone that I have ever owned.
    Palm OS doesn't really have a filesystem (like WM5 or Symbian). It only understands two things, prc files (applications and such) and pdb files (data). If you use an app like Filez and look in a Palm OS device (as opposed to a storage card) everything you see is a prc or pdb.

bcaslis,

Excuse my ignorance but what is a "prc" file? Exactly what does prc mean? Also, while you are educating me, what is vault addin?

Thanks,

-THP
    I guess that is because it is what I am wanting to hear. MS has long been a deserving and easy target to bash. I recall snickering at the kludgey Pocket PC and CE devices in comparison to the smooth and easy Palm OS just 5 years ago. Bring on the 750 to the USA!

-THP

Quote Originally Posted by canadian studen View Post
    Wow what a great thread. I love my 750v plain and simple. I think putting windows in a phone was a great idea. I have tried all sorts of devices. POS, Symbian, Symbian/UIQ. I have always found WM the most easy to use. It works perfect for me, and my needs. After trying those pther devices I have come ti find that nothing beats a WM phone of course this is all IMO. They just work well, I love the multitaksing, and I think Palm has taken WM to another level with there tewaking. They really havetaken the best OS and has made it ine handed, which is really important to me. This is truly the best phone that I have ever owned.
    I haven't seen that post but it's clearly wrong. I've gotten voice dialing to work with a Jabra JX10 headset (normal single ear).

To be honest I'm a bit amazed at some of the posts here. I've argued with someone about bluetooth voice dialing which they claimed was not supported at all on the 750v.
    I have treid with the following headsets: Motorola H800, Plantronics 510, and the MOto HS820 headphones. None will work w/voice dial. Are you using 1.5 or 1.6? I tried with 1.6. Perhaps I will hard reset and try again w/1.5, but either way I have not gotten it to work.
    VC 1.6 does not work with the Treo 750v correctly. I would suspect that you probably need to hard reset to completely get rid of it. I've used it out of the box with the 1.5 that is in ROM and it works fine with a Jabra JX10. I doubt there is anything specific about this headset that helps, it should work fine with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I have treid with the following headsets: Motorola H800, Plantronics 510, and the MOto HS820 headphones. None will work w/voice dial. Are you using 1.5 or 1.6? I tried with 1.6. Perhaps I will hard reset and try again w/1.5, but either way I have not gotten it to work.
    VC 1.6 does not work with the Treo 750v correctly. I would suspect that you probably need to hard reset to completely get rid of it. I've used it out of the box with the 1.5 that is in ROM and it works fine with a Jabra JX10. I doubt there is anything specific about this headset that helps, it should work fine with others.
    I decided to hard reset, and VC 1.5 works fine with a jabra bt800. I will try the other devices later, but I'm sure it will work. It must've been 1.6 that caused the problem, and then I tried installing Cyberon Voice Dialer, so I guess it could've been either one of thiose two programs that gave me the issue.
  17. tcs
    so bcaslis, what is your final decision? treo 750v or treo 680?
    Hola a todos,

Am a newbie on this forum (just joined, so please go easy on me) -- an American living in Spain who does a lap around the planet every few months or so. So simple, reliable connectivity is important to me.

I have had a Palm since they first one came out, so am comfortable with and no doubt biased toward that OS. Also my wife and daughter have Palms, and I try to keep things simple around the house (and office for that matter).

For the last year have been using a Nokia N70 and Palm TX. Was a great combo, which gives a 2mp cam (among other things, I edit three graphically intense blogs), all my data and a decent phone on my person at all times. And the TX, of course, has WiFi which supplemented the 3G web/mail access of the N70. I used BT to send info for key contacts from the TX to the phone; al worked fine.

Then the N70 was stolen in Malaysia a few weeks ago, so I bought an N80 when passing through Taipei (good price). I use Vodafone accounts in three countries around the world where I spend a lot of time (changing out the SIM cards when I land) and a Cingular account in the USA.

From Taipei I went to the USA. Cingular owed me a new phone, and as the 680 was just coming out I bought a 680 from Cingular on a bit of a whim. Got it unlocked overnight on the internet for $35, and have been trying both the beautiful but bulky N80 (3mp camera!) and the 680 for the past couple weeks. When I got back to Europe, my IT department gave me a 750v to try here in Spain. So I have been using that now, too.

So, while I have not had much experience with the Blackberry OS, I now have a pretty good handle on the pros and cons of the 680 vs. the 750v vs. high end Nokias with Symbian.

And as most of the previous, erudite posters have already pointed out, it all depends on what you need/like.

First, even as a long-time (former) Nokia user, for my purposes the Treos win hands down over the Nokias, and I am now a solid convert to this level of convergence. I really do like the 680. I even don't mind the VGA cam in the 680 as I normally dont publish pix larger than 400pix wide anyway. (The real problem with a phone cam, as everyone knows, is the lack of a decent zoom lens and proper flash. At the end of the day, if you want to take a good picture, you need a decent camera small Canon or equiv.).

As between the Treos, try as I might to like the 750v, it seems slow, complicated and counter-intuitive. OK, so I am biased having used Palm OS all these years; sooner or later most of us will probably end up on WM and sync to Outlook instead of the wonderfully simple Palm PIM.

Having 3G on the 750v is no big deal to me; my POP3 mail (at least on the Vodafone net here in Europe) comes plenty fast on the 680, and what little web browsing I do with the 680 it is plenty fast, too, at GPRS speeds..

And I do like a couple of the 3rd party Palm OS programs I have been using for some years now that I can't seem to find for WM5.

Sending photos from the 3G Nokia phones was nice, and the video cam function is a hoot, but at the end of the day such functionality on a phone is a bit over the top and much easier to do on the laptop (which is also always close at hand) -- likewise any serious web browsing.

Internet radio? Works almost equally well on the 680 or 750.

What would I like? A 3G (GSM) Palm Treo with an updated Palm OS (a "Back" button in the software would be especially welcome) with a 2 or 3mp cam with a small built-in flash.

'Til then, I am a happy convert from carrying a Nokia and a TX around, have otherwise had no problems whatsover switching over from the TX, setting up, syncing and otherwise heavily using the 680 for phone/text/mail with three different SIM cards including in the USA.

For me the biggest disappointment with the 680 is the meager battery life (not even a day with the BT and IR turned off). I suppose one can spend the 35 Euros and buy the big bigger aftermarket battery and back cover. In the meantime, I just keep the normal charger bedside at home, a charger cable in the car, and another charger that is always in my briefcase for use in the office and otherwise on the road.

Have enjoyed very much reading through the various helpful posts here, and thanks for all the effort all of you put into this forum and site.
    If the 680 is what you want that's fine. But it sounds like you really aren't the target for the 750. 3G is the big thing for the 750, if that doesn't matter to you then the 750 doesn't have a huge difference. From the sounds of your comments I take it you have never had the 750. I think it's unfair to either the 680 or 750 to really make a judgement on the UI and OS unless you have had one.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalExec View Post
    Hola a todos,

Having 3G on the 750v is no big deal to me; my POP3 mail (at least on the Vodafone net here in Europe) comes plenty fast on the 680, and what little web browsing I do with the 680 it is plenty fast, too, at GPRS speeds..
    No decision yet, but I have to decide within the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    so bcaslis, what is your final decision? treo 750v or treo 680?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast