1.    #1  
    Of all the things they can be working on, they release THIS???

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...vicereset.html

They claim it is more thorough than a hard reset. I dunno, it just doesn't make sense to me that they needed to release this so badly that they couldn't wait until a firmware update was ready. That can't be a good sign
    that's palm and sprints way of fixing things. " you don't need a rom update sir, you just need to do a hard reset".
    Looks more like a legal issue to me. So many phones being returned for various reasons, and I suppose some personal data is still in the phone after a Hard Reset.
    Legal or not, it's laughable that this is the thing we see before anything else really gets taken care of. But I can't say I'm surprised.

Anyone try it yet? Does your Treo FEEL cleaner?
    END OF LINE
    This is on the US Palm site? Hmmm... there's mention of a 750. Anyway, if this is supposed to do more than a hard reset, won't it wipe itself (the program) out?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    This is on the US Palm site? Hmmm... there's mention of a 750. Anyway, if this is supposed to do more than a hard reset, won't it wipe itself (the program) out?
    I suppose it would, so you could always throw a copy of it on an SD for later, I guess.
    END OF LINE
    This is the windows mobile equivalent to ctl+alt+del... LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
    There have been countless articles about people selling / trading devices and then some hackers recovering their data. Not that it's the biggest concern, but the issue has received press time and this makes it look like Palm is addressing the major issues.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I don't see anything but your msid and msn that is left after a hard reset. no PIM data what so ever is left after a hard reset.

it's just a different way of doing the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    I don't see anything but your msid and msn that is left after a hard reset. no PIM data what so ever is left after a hard reset.

it's just a different way of doing the same thing.
    You don't quite understand; the information is still there after a hard reset, it's pointers to the data are wiped, but the data is there. If I were to say, use a little memory search tool that just reads unallocated memory, I could see every bit you had there. This tool simply does more like a zero out reset to wipe data by overwriting it. Granted I haven't verified what this new tool does yet, but I wanted to clarify the issue with privacy.
    Are there tools that do wipe your memory for you? I know this is the wrong forum for Treo 600 questions, but I should probably do more than a hard reset before selling it on ebay to partially fund the 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by calebu2 View Post
    Are there tools that do wipe your memory for you? I know this is the wrong forum for Treo 600 questions, but I should probably do more than a hard reset before selling it on ebay to partially fund the 700wx.
    That's exactly what we're talking about. Whether or not this tool works with the 600, not sure. I think it said 650, 700, 750 on the Palm site.
    END OF LINE
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
    You don't quite understand; the information is still there after a hard reset, it's pointers to the data are wiped, but the data is there. If I were to say, use a little memory search tool that just reads unallocated memory, I could see every bit you had there. This tool simply does more like a zero out reset to wipe data by overwriting it. Granted I haven't verified what this new tool does yet, but I wanted to clarify the issue with privacy.
    I love it when this man posts..lol

I think it has to do with the "I dial voicemail, but the number isn't mine" scenario, among other things. I've seen a few cases of this, even on other phones, I guess they figured out how to erase everything with a simple app.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    This is the windows mobile equivalent to ctl+alt+del... LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
    Sumboody neds sum skewl. itz mor like fdisk.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite View Post
    This tool simply does more like a zero out reset to wipe data by overwriting it. Granted I haven't verified what this new tool does yet, but I wanted to clarify the issue with privacy.
    Probably an accurate description, based on this comment from the Palm site...

What to Expect

The process will take several minutes
    The 600 wasn't an NVFS device so a hard reset is sufficient to wipe a 600 clean....the 650 was the first NVFS Treo
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    It appears your data is still recoverable, as stated by Palm, by advanced forensic methods. It looks like they aren't re-writing to memory as they should be. What they should have done is written a simple program that executes and re-writes all memory with 1's and 0's but that would have been to much to ask from a multimillion dollar company.