1.    #1  
    ok so iv used 700p 650 600 and regulars phones prior to this being my very first WM phone....great experience so far but being in sales I use text messages a lot and I massive text like 40 poeple getting the same message etc...
    The point is on ANY other phone iv ever used if in text messages I press D where it says To: ALL the D's come up, on this phone thats not the case only some of them do. I have my frined david tu in my phonebook when i go to text and type david hes the fourth david in my list but if i type david t it says no matches....how the hell is that possible???? further more it is SO ABNORMAL on this phone that if you type the first letter of the first name it SHOULD show ALL the names for that letter, it does NOT....thats totally annoying cause i have to go to add recipients just to mkae sure i get everyone considering i dont remmeber everyone in my contacts....Any fix????
    Also when you look for a contact in the today screen n type a letter it searches the first letter of first name and last naem.....thats sooo stupid is there a way i can keep it very simple just first name first letter only? Such an awesome device there has to be answers to keeping it basic cause the way they have it makes no sense
    When I click "d" I get all of the d's. I'm thinking that maybe there is a max results limit or the lookup code optimizes based on how many results there are. I know you have a large contacts list. Mine is relatively small and I happen to like that it matches the first letter of the first and last name. I guess you can't please everyone all of the time. If I find some reg setting that changes this behavior, I'll post.
    I find your question extremely hard to read and interperate.

Try touching the actual "To:" area of the screen with your stylus or finger in the messanger app. That will bring up your entire phone book.

It seems to me that the treo just looks for addresses that have been texted recently when you manually input info into the "to:" field. This works really well for me. For example, I have two people with the same last name in contacts. One I text, the other I dont. When in the messaging app, I type in the last name and only the one I text shows up.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    X2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post

Try touching the actual "To:" area of the screen with your stylus or finger in the messanger app. That will bring up your entire phone book.

It seems to me that the treo just looks for addresses that have been texted recently when you manually input info into the "to:" field. This works really well for me. For example, I have two people with the same last name in contacts. One I text, the other I dont. When in the messaging app, I type in the last name and only the one I text shows up.
    Robber, I assume you are talking about poutlook text messaging. I think the op is using the threaded sms app even though he didn't mention that.

To get the same function in the threaded sms app as clicking on "To :" in poutlook you have to select or click in the To: field and press the Action (center dpad button) and select Add Recipient. There is also a list of people you've recently texted there.
    I just noticed a partial fix to your complaint on search in the threaded sms app. In contacts enter both first and last name in the first name field. The lookups will only find first names that start with the letter you enter. It will also stop contacts from listing last name first which can be annoying.

This works in the threaded sms app, but not for contacts lookup or today plugin lookup which still match first and last names.

A side effect of entering the full name in the first name field is that matching will only be done on the first name. Which explains your other problem. Entering "david t" will not find your friend David Tu. If you enter the name like outlook wants with first name in the first name field and last name in the last name field the search for "david t" would correctly find your friend.

Also for those that don't already know you can change the number of letters to enter before WM5 starts offering matching results. Go to Start-Settings and on the Personal tab select the Input icon. Select "Word Completion" tab. Change the setting for "Suggest after entering". I have mine set to 1, but I think it defaults to 2.
    Last edited by hannip; 12/14/2006 at 05:03 PM.