1.    #1  
    The game is over. My opinion is that the 750 is not worth the money and effort to upgrade and here are the reasons: (my opinion, You may not agree)

- I like the palm OS, darn it, the Windows product is simply not as smooth to use.

- The screen resolution.

- Abandoning all of the software I bought for Palm OS. It is not the money, it is the time spent in seeking out the solutions and evaluating and purchasing.

- I don't want to buy any more branded phones. If Cingular wants to advertise that I use their service, it is going to cost them more. I urge you to raise your price for an endorsement going forward.

- The mini-sd. Again, already did the work to acquire several SD cards and loaded them with content. Don't want to start over. (edited micro to mini)

- Battery life. Enough said.

- The wireless data rate is the only true increment and frankly, I can live with what I have for now.

Everybody is clamoring for the 750. I say: Who cares!
    Last edited by ghiscott; 12/13/2006 at 10:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Why not trade your 650 in on a 680? That's what I did and I am loving everything about the new Treo. The size, weight, hidden SD card, free, pre-installed software like VersaMail and Pocket Tunes, ability to run Kinoma 4 player, etc. And the best part? I have not yet crashed going between Versamail and Blazer.

Give the 680 a shot, unbranded and unlocked of course!
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    umm the 750 does not take a Micro SD...it takes a mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott View Post
    - I like the palm OS, darn it, the Windows product is simply not as smooth to use.
    THAT is the reason you're going back. The ONLY reason. I, personally, couild NEVER go back to Palm OS, unless they change it drastically.

Some love Palm, and that's cool, but leave it at that. The other reasons are supplemental.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    THAT is the reason you're going back. The ONLY reason. I, personally, couild NEVER go back to Palm OS, unless they change it drastically.
    I am tired of playing with mobile technology for the sake of playing with mobile technology. I now want to spend time making money or being more productive with this stuff and the extra time I have (saved by using mobile technology) I now want to spend pursuing something else. These are just tools, after all. The only winners in this "upgrade game" are the mobile technology producers. This response is the unsaid theme of my original post.
    ghiscott, you are right. The 650 would be enough for most, IF it was stable.
    The 750, once I got used to it, is acceptable. It's still not as efficient as the 650, but the Palm oS is dead, so what can I do? the next 750 probably would be the one to get b/c I'm guessing it'll have a 480x480 screen and better efficiency. I'm siding with the big boys, Microsoft, in the long run b/c they always get their way--always. I wouldn't even bet on them losing out to google in the search wars after about 10 years. Or I wouldn't be surprised if with the ipod we're talking about the Ipod and Zune being 1 and 1a in 7 years. I feel like palm was the love of my life who disappointed me time and time again, and the fool that I am, made excuses for her, said I need to wake up and leave, except that I didn't. I made excuses over and over again, wash, rinse, and repeat the cycle. Now I've finally woken up. It breaks my heart, but what's true is true. The treo is the only thing keeping the Palm OS alive, and they're heavily invested in the Pocket PC platform now, too. Palm 680 is what they've got, but the innovation seems to be happening on the WM5 platform.
    I guess it's how you define stable. Are Palm OS devices unstable? If you add third party apps usually not. If you don't usually they are reasonably (not totally ) stable.

Are WM5 Treos stable? What do you mean stable? If you mean do they crash? Very rarely. Do you mean they function properly all the time? Not in my experience. I find all kinds of issues with the 750v on bluetooth, not waking up for alarms, etc. I've seen issues on other WM5 devices also so it's not just the Treo.

I don't think there is a perfect device out there. To be honest if the 750v worked perfectly out of the box, but you couldn't add features (other than your own data), I'd actually be happy. It's the basic stuff not working properly that is driving me crazy. In that aspect I would say that Palm OS is better at.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    The game is over. My opinion is that the 750 is not worth the money and effort to upgrade and here are the reasons: (my opinion, You may not agree)

- The screen resolution.

- Abandoning all of the software I bought for Palm OS. It is not the money, it is the time spent in seeking out the solutions and evaluating and purchasing.

- I don't want to buy any more branded phones. If Cingular wants to advertise that I use their service, it is going to cost them more. I urge you to raise your price for an endorsement going forward.

- The mini-sd. Again, already did the work to acquire several SD cards and loaded them with content. Don't want to start over. (edited micro to mini)

- The wireless data rate is the only true increment and frankly, I can live with what I have for now.

Good for you. Enjoy it!....................

I do. I LOVE the 750.
    I am tired of playing with mobile technology for the sake of playing with mobile technology. I now want to spend time making money or being more productive with this stuff and the extra time I have (saved by using mobile technology) I now want to spend pursuing something else. These are just tools, after all. The only winners in this "upgrade game" are the mobile technology producers. This response is the unsaid theme of my original post.
    Umm...no, not really.

You claim the reasons for going back to Palm OS are:

Having to find new apps
    Having to buy a new memory card.
    The phone is branded
    The resolution
    WM5 is not as smooth to use

Do these sound like real reasons not to buy a phone? And if thery are, then the THOUGHT of buying this phone shouldn't even be on your mind! Why bother?

I'm not knocking you for not liking WM5, if you read my first post properly you would have noticed that. I just knocked your reasoning, because if thats how you feel, then you should have never wasted your time. These "reasons" are obvious, if you went from PC to a Mac would you have to get used to the OS? Buy new equipment and programs? Of course you would.

Go read the 700wx forum. Everyone there could never imagine going back to Palm. Now go read the 700P forum. No one there could ever go to WM5. That's just the name of the game, you're not unique. Just a Palm lover in the wrong forum
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post

Go read the 700wx forum. Everyone there could never imagine going back to Palm. Now go read the 700P forum. No one there could ever go to WM5. That's just the name of the game, you're not unique. Just a Palm lover in the wrong forum

I do prefer the Palm UI over windows.

I guess, in an attempt to distill the thought, the 680 is not enough of an increment for me. The 750 is enticing but the downside is too big. I will wait out this release of new Palm choices for the next.

So the point of posting is to see if there are any other TC'rs arriving at the same conclusion. Apparently not...
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

- The screen resolution.

I am a long time 650 user and I have had the 750v for about two months. I still prefer to use the 650 for my email (Chatter) and Contacts as I find it is more stable and reliable that the applications in the 750v.

The 750v is nice if you like Windows but the Contacts is not as good as the 650 and the Mail application is much inferior to Chatter. You can certainly use the 750v with ease, and if you have never owned a 650 you will think it is great.

The only big advantage with the 750v is the 3G which gives much better data speeds but for phone and email this is no great advantage. I personally find the idea of Browsing on a SmartPhone to be impractical.

If you need to do several things concurrently then you will love the 750v. One problem is that when you close a program it still runs in the background and you have to go into Task Manager to close them completely

Last edited by rabmail; 12/17/2006 at 03:43 PM.
    I dislike WM5, but I have to say that contacts is better on 750v than the Palm OS Treos. You can go into a contact and select a phone, email, or text number. On Palm OS you have do this from the contact list, and you can only select a phone number. Once you go into the contact you can't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rabmail View Post
    I am a long time 650 user and I have had the 750v for about two months. I still prefer to use the 650 for my email (Chatter) and Contacts as I find it is more stable and reliable that the applications in the 750v.

The 750v is nice if you like Windows but the Contacts is not as good as the 650 and the Mail application is much inferior to Chatter. You can certainly use the 750v with ease, and if you have never owned a 650 you will think it is great.

The only big advantage with the 750v is the 3G which gives much better data speeds but for phone and email this is no great advantage. I personally find the idea of Browsing on a SmartPhone to be impractical.

If you need to do several things concurrently then you will love the 750v. One problem is that when you close a program it still runs in the background and you have to go into Task Manager to close them completely

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I dislike WM5, but I have to say that contacts is better on 750v than the Palm OS Treos. You can go into a contact and select a phone, email, or text number. On Palm OS you have do this from the contact list, and you can only select a phone number. Once you go into the contact you can't do anything.
    Yes there is not much that is nice about WM5 if you have previously used the Palm OS. I have no problem with Contacts in the 650. If I want to send an email Chatter pulls the email address out of the contacts, without me having to go into Contacts. It is very easy to use in that way.
    Last edited by rabmail; 12/17/2006 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Correct a typo
    That's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. I've been using Palm OS since the Palm III. If things work fine for you great, but you've given no reason why contacts in Palm OS are better. Any OS I've tried has the ability to get an email address from contacts. I've used them all and I have to say that the contacts in WM5 are one of it's good points.

Quote Originally Posted by rabmail View Post
    Yes there is not much that is nice about WM5 if you have previously used the Palm OS. I have no problem with Contacts in the 650. If I want to send an email Chatter pulls the email address out of the contacts, without me having to go into Contacts. It is very easy to use in that way.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    That's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. I've been using Palm OS since the Palm III. If things work fine for you great, but you've given no reason why contacts in Palm OS are better. Any OS I've tried has the ability to get an email address from contacts. I've used them all and I have to say that the contacts in WM5 are one of it's good points.
    Fine, and I respect your opinion on what suits your work best. I carry both the 650 and the 750v all the time and use them equally, and perhaps in the future I will develop a preference for 750v but at the moment it is not so.

We have not touched on the battery problem but both the 680 and the 750v could do with larger capacity battery's
    The 650 is a great phone, but it really needs support for high speed data. I gotta upgrade from the 650 for this very reason.
    I have had the 750v for about a month now. It is not clearly better than my old 650. The Palm OS is better but there are some important plus points:

• The phone quality is better - this was my main criticism of the 650 - nice pda, and data device shame about the phone. Volumecare was a part solution but what kind of phone needs you to buy additional software to make it bearable.
    • I loved the palm desktop but bottom line the Active sync integration with Outlook is brilliant
    • It is much prettier. Not until you compare them in your hands does it become clear how out of date the 650 is.

I had to change because my firm would no longer support the treo 650 but I do like the 750. Wish the battery was better and that windows was more intuitive.