Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    So I had a long talk with Palm and Verizon Reps and found out that WMP for my Treo 700w cannot make multiple playlists

I want to be able to select various types of Playlist mixes for depending on my mood or whatever I am doing and do not want to sort thru my music files while I am on the go, specially driving.

So at this time I am shopping for a Music Player that allows you to make and use multiple playlist and also be easy enough to use and navigate thru its menus while you are driving.

I have DLed TCPMP v0.72RC1 and find it great for playing my other media files that are not supported by WMP.
    But I find it difficult to navigate thru the media options while I am driving using TCPMP
    AT this time I will be keeping TCPMP just so I cna play those odd media files I cannot play with WMP.

So I then tried PocketMusic and PocketPlayer.
    I somehow couldn't figure out how to setup PocketMusic and I want soemthing that is easy to use while I am driving.
    Because of this, I uninstalled the Trial version of PocketMusic.

PocketPlayer seems to do what I wanted.
    It was easy enough to navigate thru my playlist while driving and change stuff around with 1 hand.

So at this time I am trying to see if there are better options than the PocketPlayer for my needs.

This is what I need in a Mobile Music Player for my Treo 700w:

• Ability to make and use various playlist.
      (Ability to make a WMP playlist file would be even better so I can just cut and copy from my PC to my Treo)
    • 1 Hand navigation with media options.
      I need to be able to switch things around with just 1 hand while I am driving.)

With that said, is there anything else better than the PocketPlayer for my needs?
    Just want to try other things if there si soemthing better before I buy.
    You can make as many playlists for WMP as you want to. Just make them on your PC using WMP there and sync them over to your Treo. Use the auto-sync option and select the playlists you want to sync.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thing is I cannot make say Workout Mix, Dance Mix, Relax Mix playlist with WMP.
    Uploading the songs is no problem.
    Its the in-ability to make multiple Playlist is the problem with WMP that comes with Windows Mobile 5.
    Um, why can't you make your Workout Mix, Dance Mix, Relax Mix playist with Windows XP WMP?

Is it that you want to change these playlists on the treo? I always create my playlists using XP WMP then sync them to the treo. If you want to create/change playlists on the treo you'll need either a playlist editor or use a third party app like you have done. Conduits PocketPlayer is fine if you like it. I like PocketMusic, others say MortPlayer is sweet and simple.
    Last edited by hannip; 12/11/2006 at 07:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Well WMP in my Treo 700w is NOT letting me load ANY of the .wpl Playlist files that I have from my PC to the 700w.

What I want to be able to do is make multiple playlists that I can Modify and Load with my 700w.
    If just a simple 3rd Party app will make this work for WMP for me, then please show me where I can get this.
    I think you aren't getting it. When you make a playlist using XP WMP and use XP WMP to sync to your Treo it converts your playlists from wpl to an asx format usable by your Treo's WMP. You can't just copy your playlist using ActiveSync to copy them over.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I do my Playlist from my PC with Manual Sync NOT Auto Sync.
    Everyime I sync from PC to my Treo 700w, it does not UPLOAD a .asx Playlist file.
    It ONLY uploads the songs in the Playlist.

I did find a 3rd party app that makes a .asx Playlist file that the WMP for my Treo 700w can use after some digging.
    I found it here and it is able to make a playlist useable for WMP: http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~jmisurda/ppc...laylist_ed.htm

I am just not sure how you are able to make your playlist.

Please give me a step-by-step way of doing it then w/o a 3rd party up like you are saying.
    You have to use *auto* sync for it to copy your playlists. You select the playlists to sync and it syncs *both* your playlists and your songs.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Will Auto Sync cause me to upload everything from my PC to my Treo?
    because I do not want it to upload all the Playlist and files I have in my PC to my Treo.
    If the files are already synced it shouldn't copy them again.

Edit: just to be clear cuz you seem to be unclear, autosync *only* copies playlists you have selected to be sync and any music files in those selected playlists if those songs aren't already synced.
    Last edited by hannip; 12/11/2006 at 10:47 PM.
    I know this doesn't directly address your question, but have you considered a dedicated player like an iPod? Personally I find it much easier to deal with when listening to music in the car.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    If the files are already synced it shouldn't copy them again.

Edit: just to be clear cuz you seem to be unclear, autosync *only* copies playlists you have selected to be sync and any music files in those selected playlists if those songs aren't already synced.
    So it autosync's the playlist and files in the My Playlist or Auto Playlist in WMP in my PC?
    Thanks for having the time to answer as I usually use Manual Sync.

PS:
    At this time I think I may get PocketPlayer as it seems to have more options and better sound quality to play my music than WMP in my Treo 700w.
    but its great to know soem extra stuff while I am at it

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    I know this doesn't directly address your question, but have you considered a dedicated player like an iPod? Personally I find it much easier to deal with when listening to music in the car.
    I do not see the need to get an i-pod when I can do the same thing with my 700w.
    I have an i-River which I think is way better than the i-pod in sound quality and I gave that to my wife.
    Got a Treo so I do not have to carry multiple devices ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilim View Post
    So it autosync's the playlist and files in the My Playlist or Auto Playlist in WMP in my PC?
    Thanks for having the time to answer as I usually use Manual Sync.
    When you set up auto sync it gives you options to select the playlists you want to sync. There is a list of your playlists and a checkbox next to each one. Just check the playlists you want to sync.

PS:
    At this time I think I may get PocketPlayer as it seems to have more options and better sound quality to play my music than WMP in my Treo 700w.
    but its great to know soem extra stuff while I am at it
    PocketPlayer should be able to use the synced WMP playlists (I know PocketMusic can). If not you can easily build your own using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilim View Post
    I do not see the need to get an i-pod when I can do the same thing with my 700w.
    I have an i-River which I think is way better than the i-pod in sound quality and I gave that to my wife.
    Got a Treo so I do not have to carry multiple devices ...
    fair enough, but by the sound quality in the treo is just plain awful, and the interface isn't nearly as user friendly, which is important when driving unless you simply select a playlist and leave it on. The utility of the ipod is hard to beat. You don't really need to carry multiple devices when you can just leave the ipod in the car and once a week sync it.
    saying that a treo can do the same thing(s) as an ipod isn't true. WM has about 1/10 the utility of an ipod.

fwiw, I have a few hundred songs on my treo and do listen to music on it sometimes, but it's mostly just for the rare moment when I don't want to bother bringing one of my ipods.
    With the right headphones and bass boost I get amazing sound using my treo. It most certainly isn't awful.
    WOW, I just installed PocketPlayer. It's much better than PocketMusic. It does read all of my WMP playlists just fine. I'm sold!
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    With the right headphones and bass boost I get amazing sound using my treo. It most certainly isn't awful.
    It's not even close to comparable to an ipod, sorry. ...and it's very easy to tell the difference on my junky ipod headphones or my shures. I'm hardly an audiophile and even I can hear the difference. awful might be a bit too strong but the sound definitely is sub-par. ...and again the utility & functionality? It's like comparing a clamshell phone with web browsing to a treo.

I won't post again on this subject because I don't want to drag this thread any farther off subject. I was just trying to offer another option.
    Actually the bass boost is not as good on PocketPlayer. It distorts. With the DSP disabled it sounds pretty good though. PocketPlayer seems to play a wider frequency range than PocketMusic. Very crisp symbols at flat setting.

The worst thing about players on WM5 or XP is the EQ is pretty much worthless. It causes too much distortion. You have to compensate by getting some decent headphones that sound good at a flat EQ setting.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Hmm, now that you have tried PocketPlayer hannip.

To make things easier for me, I should just get and use PocketPlayer as my MP while I am driving huh??
    I did try both PocketMusic and PocketPlayer and find PocketPlayer much easier to use.
    during my Trial DL, I was able to listen and switch around with music using just my right hand while driving.
    I also like the ease of changing the EQ settings with PP.

As for the Ipod.
    Like I said before, I have access to an iRiver which I think is better than an iPod.
    But I just wanna get my moneys worth of using everything in 1 device.

PS:
    I have great set of regular headphones that I can use.
    Tried it on my 700w and it sounds GREAT when I use PocketPlayer.
    I just need a 2-in-1 Stereo Headset so I can also receive and make calls while I am listening to music in my 700w.
    I know they make 2.5 to 3.5 adapters that have a mic built in for calls. If you use that you can keep using your good headphones for music. I personally use an A2DP dongle/headphone pair that can do both music and calls.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast