1.    #1  
    Hey I was trying to free up some valuable rom realestate how ever everytime I tried to erase something on the rom it would not let me but i'm sure you all knew that my question is. Is it possible to overwrite a rom file with the same file name but use a smaller file kinda of like a dummy file. I know there has to be away to do this I just don't know how.. I figure if we could change out some of the rom files for some dummy files it would free up some land in the rom.
    I wouldn't do that. If you were to change the ROM it wouldn't install everything properly after a hard reset. I know you can "overwrite," like with the threaded app, but it doesn't delete the original ROM files.

Just get "UPXPPC" and you can cut all of your program files into half, or close to it. You really shouldn't need memory THAT bad!
    you cant remove anything from the rom until it is unlocked. we cant do this yet on the treos
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Just get "UPXPPC" and you can cut all of your program files into half, or close to it. You really shouldn't need memory THAT bad!
    I have this program installed, and was wondering how to use it correctly...are we supposed to compress *every* file associated with each app, like DLLs and others, or just the EXE program file?

What are the best settings for UPX, and does the on-the-fly (de)compression cause a big performance hit?

Sorry if I sorta hijacked the thread...I just remembered I had been wanting to ask about UPX, but I always forget...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I wouldn't do that. If you were to change the ROM it wouldn't install everything properly after a hard reset. I know you can "overwrite," like with the threaded app, but it doesn't delete the original ROM files.

I was just thinking about overwriting the sound files on the rom and that was all that I wanted to change after all I always have my phone on silent unless i'm using slingbox. Also where can I get UPXPPC?
    I don't know Treo per se, but the point of ROM is that it's a flashed image. You'd have to create a new flash image and burn that down to the ROM. And that's one of those "if you have to ask" topics.
    UPX does both exe's and dll's. I only use it for the exe's, because I know it works. Saved me a few megs. I don't go crazy with it, just because I don't need to.
    Replacing rom files with smaller files does not increase space it decreases space. The ROM files can't be removed. You will just be using up storage space with the small files and most likely cause you to have to hard reset.

Now when we say "replace" rom files like what the Palm Messaging install does, it doesn't actually replace the rom files, it just overrides them. That's why you can delete the "replaced" files and the originals pop right back in there.

The only way you can free up space would be to make your own rom and flash over the old one. Then you could free up storage space by putting your favorite 3rd party apps right into the rom such as the Palm Messaging app.

Let us all know when you have figured out how to do that. I'd certainly would like that rom update.
    with other wm devices a person could unlock the rom and then edot the config.txt file that is in the rom. this tells which cabs to install after hard reset. so in addition to what hannip said there two ways. one to make your own rom and flash it over the old one. or two, unlock the rom and edit it, then hard reset.
  10.    #10  
    Wow so what this comes down to is a big project, just to figure what to keep and what not to keep on the rom. Before I go about replacing the rom with a custom rom i'm gonna do some research into this whole thing. Has anyone else re-done their rom if so can you please tell us how its working out. Last thing is what program would you all suggest to re-do the rom there are a ton of rom programs for the ppc but which one is better does anyone know?
    like i said before. this is not possible yet on the treo 700w/wx. no one that any of use know or have heatd of has done this yet. dont worry so much about it. since it looks like you have the w i sould suggest 2 thing that you can do.

1. Fix for lower memory limits... here

2. compress you .exe files here