1.    #1  
    I have spent the better part of the evening on the phone with Sprint PCS.

I am having problems connecting to the internet using phone as a modem on the Treo 700wx. I get error 678, error 633 and so on. No idea what the problem is. With the help of the tech people at Sprint I've tried all kinds of things with very little success. Here are the facts (some of which may be red herrings):

1) Phone as a Modem has worked for me on occasion. Rare occasion.

2) When I install PDANet (this was the last thing I tried), I can connect as a modem via USB or bluetooth. However it only works when activesync is working and only at 1xRTT.

3) Whenever Activesync is working and my phone is connected via USB, the "EV" icon does not reappear after an active sync. This prevents me from browsing even on the phone (Cannot connect, etc.)

4) When I disable the activesync, I can now browse on the phone, but no amount of Sprint PCS connection manager jimmying will get the connection to work.

5) I have tried, uninstalling, reinstalling, adding devices, deleting devices. It doesn't work whether I use the connection software or the modem connection in "network connections"

6) I do have a bluetooth card in the computer but am not using it for activesync.

Any suggestions as to what the hell is going on here?

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by calebu2 View Post
    I have spent the better part of the evening on the phone with Sprint PCS.

I am having problems connecting to the internet using phone as a modem on the Treo 700wx. I get error 678, error 633 and so on. No idea what the problem is. With the help of the tech people at Sprint I've tried all kinds of things with very little success. Here are the facts (some of which may be red herrings):

1) Phone as a Modem has worked for me on occasion. Rare occasion.

2) When I install PDANet (this was the last thing I tried), I can connect as a modem via USB or bluetooth. However it only works when activesync is working and only at 1xRTT.

3) Whenever Activesync is working and my phone is connected via USB, the "EV" icon does not reappear after an active sync. This prevents me from browsing even on the phone (Cannot connect, etc.)

4) When I disable the activesync, I can now browse on the phone, but no amount of Sprint PCS connection manager jimmying will get the connection to work.

5) I have tried, uninstalling, reinstalling, adding devices, deleting devices. It doesn't work whether I use the connection software or the modem connection in "network connections"

6) I do have a bluetooth card in the computer but am not using it for activesync.

Any suggestions as to what the hell is going on here?

Steve

What data plan are you using with Sprint? If you are paying for the $40 phone as modem data plan you should be using the Sprint connection software. If you are paying for the lower unlimited data plan you should not call Sprint for support in using PDANet or they may ding you for data or move you to the higher plan.
  3.    #3  
    I am signed up for the PAM plan and all of my calls with sprint have focussed on that.

I tried to use the SPCS connection manager to no avail.

I mention PDANet solely as evidence that my USB cable and net connection work (tho not in evdo mode with activesync present!)
  4.    #4  
    I think there may be two separate issues going on:

1) Something weird is going on between Activesync and my EV-DO connection. When activesync kicks in, it messes up the EV-DO connection so I can't even connect to the web on the treo itself.

2) Phone as Modem just wont work. Reading around the forums, I am almost willing to bet money that the SPCS rep that set up my Phone-as-Modem plan put it on my wife's number and not mine. Which is why my phone as modem tries to connect, then fails. The times when it does manage to connect are flukes when Sprint is not watching closely and actually allows me on. That would explain the #678 error message. How much do you want to bet?
  5.    #5  
    To provide closure on my own thread... After over 8 hours of online tech support with over 10 different Sprint reps they finally fixed it. The solution was to rebuild my web services on the sprint network by removing and reintiating the services at their end.

It does not look like it was caused by my laptop, phone or cable (although I changed enough settings that I can't be sure that there wasn't something else causing problems in the middle of it all). Rather something was messed up on the network and was giving me the same #678 error message that people without a PAM plan get when they try to use the service. It does make me wish that the initial rep I spoke to had sounded a little bit more knowledgeable when I activated the phone and signed up for the PAM plan. It also makes me think that Sprint would be smart to overload the #678 error message with a "You don't have phone as modem. Call Sprint and pay them the $".

I'm still not sure why PDAnet only connected at 1x speed.

Anyway, problem solved... for now.
    I'm having problems with phone as modem too. I keep getting that 678 error eventhough I have a PAM plan on my account. Sometimes I am able to connect to my phone to use it as a phone as modem and other times it wont connect and I get a 678 error. Has anyone else seen these types of results? I would like to be able to call Sprint and be able to figure this one out.