Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All those 680 battery drain posts worry me. The 750 doesn't use the same size battery, does it? If it does, anyone have the same battery drain problems?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No one has reported battery drain on this forum or on any other 750/cheetah forum I have seen.
    The 750 and 680 batteries are identical, same part numbers.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4.    #4  
    So is there a configuration problem on the 680?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    1.) People over there are screaming after the first day of using it. Batteries need cycles to reach full capacity.
    2.) People are loading up all the junk from their previous device, causing incompatibilty and faster battery drain.
    3.) People need to get a grip on reality. A 1200mA battery is not going to last as long as a 1800mA battery no matter how much the newbies scream and shout.
  6.    #6  
    I don't know. Reading the 680 forum makes me wonder if it isn't a phone configuration problem. Or maybe even hardware problem. SOMETHING is causing the battery to drain faster on the 680 than the 750. And I'd think it would be the other way around, being that WM drains batteries faster than the Palm OS in my experience.

I have both the 680 and the 750v. I do think the 680 drains it faster (but not as bad as the whining on the 680 forum makes you think). Much as I prefer Palm OS, I have to disagree about the power drain. When I tried both the 700p and the 700w on Verizon, it was clear that the 700p drained the battery faster than the 700w. Not a huge amount, but clearly more. Both the 700p and the 680 feel to me like there is some background process (even after a hard reset) always running in the background which is my guess as to what is causing the bigger drain.

But the 750 like the 680 needs to be recharged every night unless you aren't using the PDA functions. With hard use I can empty either of these phones by mid-afternoon easily.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    SOMETHING is causing the battery to drain faster on the 680 than the 750.
    Could be something as simple as the default screen brightness is set higher on the 680's. The other thing to note is they are made by different manufacturers who most likely have different suppliers.

The main issue is the one bcaslis has already mentioned, the 680's battery life is never going to match the 650's due to the smaller battery.
    Yes, if you look at most of the screams over in the 680 forum, they are complaining it doesn't last as long as the 650. Well, duh!

Also if you note, the complaints are starting to lessen as their batteries go through a few more cycles and get better life (as I posted over though). I just can't understand when someone get a new device and a new battery and then screams bloody murder that the battery life stinks after one charge cycle. Well, again, duh! Forums are airplanes. Supposedly grown adults come in and start acting like little children (stewardess could you hand me that blanket).

Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Could be something as simple as the default screen brightness is set higher on the 680's. The other thing to note is they are made by different manufacturers who most likely have different suppliers.

The main issue is the one bcaslis has already mentioned, the 680's battery life is never going to match the 650's due to the smaller battery.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Well most of the people who complained about the 750v's battery life didn't even have one
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Yes, if you look at most of the screams over in the 680 forum, they are complaining it doesn't last as long as the 650. Well, duh!

Also if you note, the complaints are starting to lessen as their batteries go through a few more cycles and get better life (as I posted over though). I just can't understand when someone get a new device and a new battery and then screams bloody murder that the battery life stinks after one charge cycle. Well, again, duh! Forums are airplanes. Supposedly grown adults come in and start acting like little children (stewardess could you hand me that blanket).
    People are uninformed about batteries? I still allow some batteries to drain even though it's been said that you shouldn't anymore.

first couple of days my phone didnt last till 3pm. But on the 3rd day, i had my mail sync turned down to every .5 hr and turned off my IR and things were fine, lasated all day was at about ~72% when i got home

when i had my treo 700w (not sure how big the battery was on that unit) but it was pretty good at keeping the juice all day as well.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    I think many of those complaining are impatient, inexperienced, or unrealistic. They use it once and scream about terrible battery life. They use it once and not realize that it might get better. Or they use it knowing it's a smaller battery but still expect to last about the same as their 2400mA battery in a 650.

They still recommend on laptops (Mac anyway) to drain the battery and recharge to get it calibrated. I do this on my phones with lithium-ion batteries also.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    People are uninformed about batteries? I still allow some batteries to drain even though it's been said that you shouldn't anymore.
    I think many of those complaining are impatient, inexperienced, or unrealistic. They use it once and scream about terrible battery life. They use it once and not realize that it might get better. Or they use it knowing it's a smaller battery but still expect to last about the same as their 2400mA battery in a 650.

They still recommend on laptops (Mac anyway) to drain the battery and recharge to get it calibrated. I do this on my phones with lithium-ion batteries also.
    I've gone through only a couple of battery cycles, true, but the behaviour of this battery is radically different from previous devices at the same point in time. I understand this is a smaller battery but I am experiencing about 7% drain per hour with zero usage. Absolutely zero. No phone calls in or out, bluetooth off, beam receive off, screen brightness immaterial since it has been turned on for only seconds per hour to check the battery level, GSM coverage registering average (16), no PDA use whatsoever, no push email, no ... well, you get the idea. The device is essentially "off" apart from the fact the phone is connected to the network and I'm looking at 15 hours of battery.

Call this whining if you like. To me, it's expecting a lot of the "conditioning" phase to end up with a usable device.

I've gone through only a couple of battery cycles, true, but the behaviour of this battery is radically different from previous devices at the same point in time. I understand this is a smaller battery but I am experiencing about 7% drain per hour with zero usage. Absolutely zero. No phone calls in or out, bluetooth off, beam receive off, screen brightness immaterial since it has been turned on for only seconds per hour to check the battery level, GSM coverage registering average (16), no PDA use whatsoever, no push email, no ... well, you get the idea. The device is essentially "off" apart from the fact the phone is connected to the network and I'm looking at 15 hours of battery.

Call this whining if you like. To me, it's expecting a lot of the "conditioning" phase to end up with a usable device.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Just in case you are new to WM 5.0 and donīt know about the problem with ActiveSync and battery drains.

The problem is ActiveSync running up with a SD/CF card in the slot. Basically the workaround as posted on some forums is to create a dummy server in Activesync on the PocketPC and remove the schedule times (you set it to manual) as explined below:

I found another thread that attributed the problem to ActiveSync w/ WM 5.0. You need to set Activesync on the device to manual schedule. You can do this by adding a fake exchange server connection -> ActiveSync -- Menu -- Add Server Source -- Enter an Ip address like "1.1.1.1" -- enter anything in the next 3 windows. After the fake exchange server is set, Menu/Schedule is available. Set both windows to Manual. Then, go back to connections and delete the fake exchange server.

Amen Brother!!!.....Amen!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Also remember that the 750v uses a more efficient Sammy processor.
    The battery drain/life seems normal to me, whatever that means. Well it means I think it lasts for a healthy amount of time depending upon use. (750v that is) Also, the manual states that you should not let the battery run down on these devices. Keep them topped up for best performance.
  20.    #20  
    More 680 battery drain posts have appeared. This is getting a bit confusing. How can the same battery get different responses? Even if the phones are different, the 680 has EDGE and Palm OS. Those really shouldn't drain the battery as much as people are saying IMO. You all are sure this isn't a hardware problem? Or is there really something running constantly in the background? People are saying that even with stuff disabled, the battery runs low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast