1.    #1  
    What is going to happen if I install Office 2007 on my laptop? Will ActiveSync still work? Obviously most of the stuff on Outlook will continue to sync to my MS Exchange server, but I'm concerned about the actual USB syncing with Outlook. (Notes, etc.)

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

Secondary question: Has anyone tried to sync a WM5 device to Vista yet?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  2.    #3  
    Thanks. The file format issue I sort of figured already. Microsoft does this each release. I was more concerned about sync. Outlook is probably the big concern here.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I've been using the Office 2007 Beta 2 combined with the Active Sync 4.5 Beta 2 with my Treo 700w (Vzn). I will get some connection issues - where I need to either restart Outlook 2007 or soft reset the phone to get a connection - but once USB connected - I have no problems with synching notes / files / docs between the Treo and the Office 2007 Beta - and didn't need to tweak any file formats (I'm using the 2003 file format for saving files in Office 2007).

On disconnect from the USB connection the phone sometimes is a little slow to be able to respond to keystrokes / answer a call. BT doesn't have the connection issues the times that I've tested it - but I prefer to use USB / Cradle to charge & sync the phone.

I wouldn't say it's ready for prime time yet - but acceptable for someone using beta products.
  4.    #5  
    Thanks. I"m running the production version of Office 2007 Ultimate. I didn't wait and installed it yesterday. So far my experiences sort-of mirror yours. (Need to occasionally soft-reset the phone and the slow reponse of the phone after disconnect.) Otherwise all seems to be well.

I too changed my default file format to Office 2003. I'm not sure what I'm losing, or why Microsoft feels the need to change file formats like they do (other than the obvious need to force an upgrade.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    I have been syncing Outlook 2007 with WM5 with no issues since late November; on WinXP. On Vista the new sync software is still slightly buggy.
  6.    #7  
    Yeah ... I started dorking with Vista tonight. I can't get a sync partnership with WM set up for anything other than music. Weird.

Overall I'm really NOT impressed with Vista. It's like Windows XP with WindowBlinds. (Except Windowblinds has better skins.) Also: The stupid security pop-up got so annoying that I turned it off by the second day. Why do I need to look at that to open a control panel applet?

Anyway: Back to the original topic: Am I missing anything to get the sync setup for Vista?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    the file format was a big change driven by security and performance. the new format is XML based....which allows MUCH higher security, more robust corruption recovery, etc. the other big issue is obviously that people wanted an open file format that anybody could easily read/write

i can guarantee you that this one was in no way done to upgrade....first, it was a HUGE effort for microsoft to do the work. second, office 2003 has a free compat pack to allow it to easily open/close the docs as if they were native.
  8.    #9  
    I'm not sure how it's helping security at all. At the end of the day you have to control physical access to the file to control the security, which you could do with the old file format.

Back to Vista: I was able to get my WM5 device to sync (sort of). I downloaded the mobility tools from Microsoft and this got me hooked up. It's a bit buggy though. (It totally corrupted my notes on Outlook and my mobile device before it crashed.) <-- Oh well ... there's some time before release. :-)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    it's a whole world of file attacks known as "file fuzzing"....the short of it is: people modify files in ways where they can make it so just loading a file runs arbitrary code (aka, owns your whole machine). XML files allow schema validation to ensure the file being loaded is "safe(r)"

as for the sync center...the best i can say is wait for it to RTM (release...)... it's still in beta

btw--i work at MS