1.    #1  
    I'm just curious, are there others out there that have never installed the 1.10 update? I remember when the Update came out there were many discussions on the good and bad things it did. Our IT staff asked us not to run the update because of all the buzz about issues with it.

Just wondered if I'm the only one on TreoCentral who has not performed this update?
    The biggest issue with it was the change that made apps close when memory got down below 5mb. Since then someone found the registy setting that controlled that so you could changed it back to a lower value such as 2mb. That change makes a huge difference when it comes to being able to multitask on the 700w. I'm not sure there is any valid reason to not do the update now, but if you don't use push email it's really not needed.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    The biggest issue with it was the change that made apps close when memory got down below 5mb. Since then someone found the registy setting that controlled that so you could changed it back to a lower value such as 2mb. That change makes a huge difference when it comes to being able to multitask on the 700w. I'm not sure there is any valid reason to not do the update now, but if you don't use push email it's really not needed.
    Thanks for the quick response hannip. I'll have to search for the registry change incase I cave and install the update. I'm wanting to fully use the Threaded SMS and I'm thinking not having the update is causing me grief.

The biggest thing our IT folk said about the update, was the Push was not as reliable as the SMS Triggering of email syncs (especially in 1X area). They said they were not receiving their emails as reliably and their battery was suffering a little.

I've not talked to them recently to see if they still feel that way.
    Here is the thread that describes the registry change.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124995
  5.    #5  
    Here is the thread that describes the registry change.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124995
    Thanks again Hannip. And FWIW...I just talked to the IT folk, apparently the turned off the Push on the Exchange and went back to SMS Triggering. I didn't know you could do that. So, they said I could go ahead and install the update and not have the problems they were initially experiencing.

This make sense to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
    Thanks again Hannip. And FWIW...I just talked to the IT folk, apparently the turned off the Push on the Exchange and went back to SMS Triggering. I didn't know you could do that. So, they said I could go ahead and install the update and not have the problems they were initially experiencing.

This make sense to you?
    Funny, because without the update you HAVE to do SMS triggering, and with the update you can do true push mail. Very strange...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Funny, because without the update you HAVE to do SMS triggering, and with the update you can do true push mail. Very strange...
    Our company's main site is in a 1X area and those that upgraded initially and used the PUSH were not getting their emails as reliably as those of use who didn't upgrade and was using the SMS triggering. Also the PUSH was causing them to see a larger battery drain - probably from the 1X area and multiple attempts.

I would agree it's strange too. I'm a programmer, I don't know much about Exchange and how that stuff works, so I'm stuck taking someone else's word for it.
    Is there anyone else there that has an updated 700w that can verify it is working as expected? The problem with doing the update is that there is no going back.
  9.    #9  
    Is there anyone else there that has an updated 700w that can verify it is working as expected? The problem with doing the update is that there is no going back.
    That's what I'm still trying to find out. Will let you know what I find.
  10.    #10  
    Seems we have people working just fine now on the update. I'm thinking I'm going to run the update so I can try and better intergrate the Threaded SMS.

Couple of questions:

1. Can I run the update without a hard reset first? I'm thinking the answer is no but then I have to remember and redo all of my tweaks.

Can't do a full restore after the update from prior to the update so.....

2. How to I back up and restore my Speed Dials?

3. Any way to backup the sounds and notification table?

4. Anyone know how to backup my Pocket E-Sword Databases?

Time to take the plunge....
    Well, Verizon recently (not too recently actually) added CPOP to their towers. This enables phone calls to pass through even a 1x connection, with the 1x pausing until you get off the phone. Probably ther biggest feature they added this year IMO, since so many places still are 1x and smartphone sales growing as they are.

I would run the update, and use the exchange push. True exchange push SAVES battery, as you will hopefully find yourself to be the case..
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
    Seems we have people working just fine now on the update. I'm thinking I'm going to run the update so I can try and better intergrate the Threaded SMS.

Couple of questions:

1. Can I run the update without a hard reset first? I'm thinking the answer is no but then I have to remember and redo all of my tweaks.
    Yes, the update will replace your existing rom.

Can't do a full restore after the update from prior to the update so.....
    It's been a long time since I did the update, but i could swear that the update process didn't wipe out any of my data. All it should do is replace the ROM. You should however backup beforehand just in case.

2. How to I back up and restore my Speed Dials?
    They should be there after the update.

3. Any way to backup the sounds and notification table?
    ditto

4. Anyone know how to backup my Pocket E-Sword Databases?
    ditto.

Time to take the plunge....
    So I'm not sure that you can't restore your backup after the update. Backups don't contain your ROM. Though it's probably not a good idea to do it in case the update fixes some non-rom related thing on your device. I don't think you'll need to perform any restores.

EDIT: Scratch that. I forgot about registry changes. You don't want to do a full restore from before the update. You can do a selective restore, but don't include the registry. But as I said before I don't think any restore is needed.

From Palm support:
    "Sprite Backup users: Do not perform a full restore from backups you made before updating your smartphone. If you use the Advanced restore features, do not restore the registry from pre-update backups. "

Here is the link to the update steps:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...n_install.html
    Last edited by hannip; 12/07/2006 at 01:47 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Hannip,

I did a hard reset before doing the update since I've got so much going on, I wanted to start with a clean slate. This is why my questions above. I decided I can redo things if I need to though.

Did a hard reset, ran update, installed Resco, installed Threaded Messaging (which installed correctly needing the 13 files and being happy).

Now I'm rebuilding my phone.

Will keep you posted.
  14.    #14  
    Phone is almost rebuilt to my liking. Everything seems to be trucking right along. Threading is fully intergrated to the best of what I can see.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    Thats why we're here.

So are you using PUSH or SMS-trigger?
  16.    #16  
    I'm using SMS-trigger. According to the Exchange Admins too many people were having trouble that had done the update. Don't have much details. But anyway, they shut down push on the Exchange server they tell me.

When I reset everything it did ask me for my phone number. Pretty sure I'm on SMS Trigger. I'm at the mercy of the Exchange Admins.