Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1.    #1  
    I first purchased the 700p and now also have the700wx in possession. I need to return one of the phones in the coming week.
    I used both devices for two weeks now.

    If it hadn't been for the Threaded SMS patch on the 700wx, I would've reverted back to the 700p for sure. But that isn't the case anymore. With the release of the patch, I am torn between the two. I know that there are some 700wx vs 700p comparison threads out there, but I wanted to share my personal experience and hopefully get your input. Again, all of these are "IMHO" and while I'm open to suggestions and corrections that might ultimately change my mind, I am NOT open to "wx v p" pissing contest nor random flames at my opinions. So here I go... Oh, BTW... This is my first post... So let me down gently if I'm being an *****.


    Speed: Advantage: 700p. (Snappier than the 700wx. I don't have the means to quantify my judgment of 700wx being a "faster" device but my brain tells me that 700p is a bit snappier)

    Stability: Draw (Yes, Draw. I think WM has finally caught up with PalmOS in terms of stability. Palm has unexplainable random resets while WM5.0 still freezes on me at times but both are very stable. So its a draw!)

    Battery: Advantage 700p. (I am convinced that 700p lasts noticeably longer. I tried swapping the batteries. Leaving BT on, off. Different light settings amongst other things. I am open to your opinions, on this. However, after using the 2 units for couple of weeks, I am fully convinced that the "nature" of 700p drains the battery less than the 700wx.) Also, 700p allows USB charging and sync at the same time. However, 700wx does not allow that as far as I know. Crucially, this becomes an important issue when you are tethering via USA for a long period of time.

    Screen: Advantage 700p (This is an easy one. Better Resolution. Also, at full strength backlight, the whites in 700p is whiter than the 700wx. 700wx's white is not 'FULLY white' compared to 700p, in fact, it appears to have a shade of yellow compared to the 700p's fluorescent white!)

    Bluetooth Advantage 700wx. (Now, this is totally personal... I drive a 06 Lexus GS300 and while it is able to discover the 700wx, it does not discover the 700p. Sames goes with the 06 Acura TL (sister's). This is not the Treo's fault, it probably has to do with the Bluetooth embedded in the car, but as for me, the bluetooth compatibility with my GS300 is a big plus!)

    Navigation: Advantage 700p (While I can say that 700p is close to 100% 'navigate-able' without the use of the stylus, 700wx is at about 85% IMO. In 700wx, while some can be navigated without the use of the stylus, it becomes too much of a hassle at times so I bust out my stylus out of pure frustration. However, I don't remember pulling out my stylus for 700p unless I needed to reset the device.)

    Sync with Desktop Advantage 700wx (Seamlessness with Outlook. However, the Hotsync works well with Outlook as well. This can easily be a draw as well)

    Initial Screen: Advantage 700wx: (This is just my preference. Comparing the "Today" screen and the Palm OS Nav Screen is like comparing apples and oranges. They serve a different function. Today screen in WM5.0 serves as a "portal" to your device, where as 700p's nav screen is just like the "program, settings" screen of the WM5.0. They can't be compared. I just prefer to see the WM5.0's "today screen". Being able to have a bird's eye view and access to contacts, tasks, upcoming events, google, and contacts is a big plus for me. In fact, the Today screen is a single biggest reason why I can't decide right now between a 700wx and 700p)

    Phone, Dialer: Advantage: 700wx (The phone feels very "integrated" into the whole OS. I think this is another advantage that the "today" screen provides for the WM5.0. The fact that the current call can be displayed on the today screen is a big plus. I just wish that the call log entries were "thinner". It is such a waste of space. 700p's call log screen is informative and can fit many logs in one screen without having to scroll down repeatedly.)

    Contacts: Advantage: 700wx. (Contacts are easier to navigate. Also there is a "direct access" on the today screen where you can immediately look up contacts. I have about 250 contacts and this is very useful to me.)

    Email: Advantage: 700wx. (Simply because the VersaMail is not reliable and outlook in WM5.0 has improved in functionality and have become more stable compared to WM2003se)

    Messaging: Draw (Just install the SMS patch on the WX and you're good to go. Although, MMS will not work properly on 700wx)

    Browser: Advantage: 700wx (The lesser of two evil)

    Camera, Video & Album: Advantage: 700p (Easy to use, and the quality of the picture is actually better!)

    Documents Advantage: 700wx (MS created MS Word and Exel and therefore I'd prefer to stick with 700wx rather than the Docu to go from the 700p. If anything, the Documents To Go has crashed on me few times and takes longer time to load.)

    Calculator: Advantage: 700p (The calculator on 700p simply kicks ****. 700wx calculator is too menial)

    Sprint TV: Advantage: 700p (At first, I didn't use this feature, but if you get into it, it is quite entertaining. Although the quality contents need to be paid for, there are some interesting things in there that will help you kill your time when you are at your dentist office, airport and etc...

    Map Programs Advantage: 700wx (Original Review: Map4PDa for WM 5.0 is a great program. HOWEVER, you need to install .net CF 2.0 which slows down things considerably. There are other options such as the Google Maps (on java) and Maps24 but it is not nearly responsive and snappy as the Google Maps that can be installed in 700p without a hitch. For those of you who REALLY need a map program, I'd strongly recommend the Google Maps for Palm OS . You don't need to mess with .net CF 2.0. UPDATED REVIEW: Windows Live Search will ROCK YOUR SOCKS!!! Its not another "search" attempt at dethroning Google. If you own a 700wx, go to http://wls.live.com and download either the java or the WM version. (I downloaded the WM version and is working great!). Just spend 10 minutes with it. You'll know that this is the best map program bar none!)

    Multimedia Player Draw (I'd say Media Player and pTunes have there disadvantages and advantages that makes 'em awash, I really wish there was a third party option out there that can handle all my multimedia needs.)

    Tethering Advantage: 700p (Both the 700p and 700wx support tethering. Although 700wx USB tethering is bit cumbersome to setup. However once it is setup, it is really easy to use there afterward. However, 700p's ability to Tether BT easily is really important to me. Especially because PDAnet has been really buggy to me on WM5.0. I tether quite frequently so this is an important issue for me.)

    Software Availability, Current and Future 700wx (Original Review: Currently, there seems to be more PROVEN programs available for the Palm OS specific for the Treos. However, as more and more smart devices use the WM5.0, I'd say WM5.0 will have more choices in the future. Updated Review After careful consideration and the discovery of Windows Live Search, I'd say there are and will be more options for the WM5.0. Chalk up another on for WX.

    ==========================================================================================
    Addendum (Updated: DEC 7, 2006)

    Multitasking Advantage: 700wx (Considering that Multitasking is very important for many people and for me as well, I think this should be mentioned as well.)

    ============================================================================================

    Considering that they cost the same, from an economic standpoint, it is a complete draw.

    I know that I haven't mentioned certain issues such as terminal services, a2dp, etc... I only wanted to address my personal needs at this point. However as you put your inputs and make the list grow longer, I'm sure we can help potential buyers an "educated" decision. Or at the very least, people will know what they are buying.

    At this point I am completely torn between the two... If you guys have a good way to circumvent (3rd party software solution) please share. Considering that I need to keep this device for 2 years, I really need to make an educated choice and I can use some help

    Thank you all!
    Last edited by ejoshkim; 12/07/2006 at 11:31 AM.
  2. #2  
    Nice review.

    Couple of observations. You say Messaging is a Draw if you install the Palm Messaging app, but for some of the other items it seems you are only comparing base units. Many deficiencies can be solved by 3rd party apps and/or accessories. For example it is easy to solve the sync charging via usb with a different cable. How does Browsing compare when you throw 3rd party apps into the mix? etc.

    Also you should include multitasking capabilities into the comparison. You might want to weight the importance of each item to you.

    You say you can't find a multimedia app that fits all of your needs. Can you describe what you are looking for? TCPMP/CorePlayer plays most anything and is available for both OS's. For music there are several good 3rd party solutions.

    For TV streaming nothing beats the slingbox. Why pay extra for quality TV viewing when you can see any TV channel that you already have at home. Currenty there is no player for POS however.
    Last edited by hannip; 12/07/2006 at 06:11 AM.
  3. #3  
    I think that is a great and informative comarison. Great job from a 700P user.
  4. #4  
    Having owned both devices, I'd like to chime in:

    Stability: It's an insult to call this a 'draw'; the 700wx is far more stable. If you're getting freezes, it's likely you're running too many programs at once, and with the 700wx's plentiful memory, you're likely running 6+ to acheive the 'pause' effect.

    Browser: PIE is much better than Blazer, & malatesta posted two tweaks (a dns & a connections tweak) that have made it even better. Drop in a dll from PIEplus and all of a sudden PIE becomes a tabbed browser. WM is miles ahead here.

    Software Availability, Current and Future: A draw?? C'mon, you can't honestly believe that Palm OS has a big future here. Even Palm is now working on the successor OS for which most developers still do not even have developer kits.

    Multimedia Player: again, woah! There are several third party players which are very good, like conduits pocket player. But then again, a TCPMP actually runs in the 'background' under WM. Not to mention being able to stream WMA in the background!

    Map: you have to try the windows live search program. Great stuff. no java, no CF.

    Good points all around though.
  5. #5  
    Like others have said above:

    - Slingplayer (I'm sure someone here will even let you "test" on their's. It's been done before

    - Windows Live Search: nothing beats this, not even Google Maps. I'd admit up to this point, probably using Google Maps (java) on WM5 was the best option but WLS is simply amazing.

    - Exchange: I don't work for a corporation but using a hosted Exchange account (either for free or $1.99/mo) is a great asset. Simple to set up and just works.

    But overall good review.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Having owned both devices, I'd like to chime in:

    Stability: It's an insult to call this a 'draw'; the 700wx is far more stable. If you're getting freezes, it's likely you're running too many programs at once, and with the 700wx's plentiful memory, you're likely running 6+ to acheive the 'pause' effect.

    Browser: PIE is much better than Blazer, & malatesta posted two tweaks (a
    Actually its prob. CF causing the problems. I will not reinstall it.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    For TV streaming nothing beats the slingbox. Why pay extra for quality TV viewing when you can see any TV channel that you already have at home. Currenty there is no player for POS however.
    Only problem with the Slingbox is they charge for the software as well las the hardware. That turns me off from it. Orb is a totally free solution that is almost as nice.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    Only problem with the Slingbox is they charge for the software as well las the hardware. That turns me off from it. Orb is a totally free solution that is almost as nice.
    I've never had to pay for the software. Their PC software is always free. You are suppose to pay a small fee for the mobile software, but a free registration code was available for many when they bought a new slingbox. I don't think that deal is still available, but I've heard reports of people sending an email or calling slingmedia to get the code for the mobile player and they give it to you for free.

    For Orb, you still need to buy an appropriate video card with TV capability if you don't already have it. Correct?
  9.    #9  
    Response to Hannip and Volwrath

    Slingbox and Orb are not completely "free" solutions. I don't disagree with the fact that Slingbox is quite a revolutionary device. It reaches full potential when you are in your winter cabin and can watch TV on your laptop tethered to 700p or 700wx as if you were in your living room. Therefore, I consider Slingbox and/ Orb on the PPC to be an excellent "complement" to the experience on your laptop. However, to pay just for a TV experience on your 240x240(700wx) or 320x240(700p) in my opinion, what majority of people will do. Having said that, people who already have the Orb capable video card or a slingbox can definitely have a legit "TV experience". Again, since ORB and Slingbox are not "free", SprintTV for Palm 700p does the trick for me.

    Response to G-funkster
    I think, You are right when it comes to software. After careful consideration, the gap in software availability will close and WM5.0 will eventually dominate. With the likes of Resco's, Phone Alarms, Windows Live Search Mobile and others, The gap might not even exist. So I did make the appropriate changes to my opinion on my original post.

    HOWEVER, I'd like to respectfully disagree on the stability issue. If the number of soft resets can serve as a barometer, 700p requires FAR LESS soft resets than the 700wx. While I soft reset couple of times a day for 700wx (freezing, lack of patience, etc...) I don't remember soft resetting because the program froze.

    My Final Decision
    There are Three things that are holding me back from proclaiming 700wx a WINNER.

    1. Stability
    2. Screen 240x240
    3. Native BT Tethering (NOT USING PDANet, common sense dictates that there is a solution out there. Help you Treo gods!!!)

    With these three things (or even 2 out of three), I think I can switch to 700wx without any reservations. While I love the functionality of 700wx, some thing just can't be "fixed" (Screen Resolution, Stability, etc...)
    Last edited by ejoshkim; 12/07/2006 at 11:55 AM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejoshkim View Post
    Again, since ORB and Slingbox are not "free", SprintTV for Palm 700p does the trick for me.

    With these three things (or even 2 out of three), I think I can switch to 700wx without any reservations. While I love the functionality of 700wx, some thing just can't be "fixed" (Screen Resolution, Stability, etc...)
    Well, how is SprintTV free?

    I pay $10 for unlimited PowerVision. Isn't SprintTV $9.95 a month extra?

    $9.95 x 12 = 119.40

    over 2 years that's $240.

    I paid $139 (no tax, free shipping) for a Slingplayer and a free code for the mobile software. Now I get streaming cable and my DVD player (or Tivo if I had it). It flat out kills SprintTV.

    Orb seems a pain especially since I'm going overseas for 2 weeks. What if my comp crashes or won't start? Would I have to leave it on for 2 weeks? Slingplayer is a godsend here.
    Even if you didn't go that route I'd recommend getting MobitTV which is what SprintTV is based off of expect you get more live channels for $9.95 a month.

    The "stability" thing throws me off only b/c I think you are in the minority here. My device never freezes or locks up. Never (and I'm beta testing 4 different applications at once!).

    I suggest running MemMaid at least once a day. It'll clear up any leftover PIE or temp files, clean the registry, fix little hangups, etc. It's a must.

    Don't use .NET CF2. Just my opinion, but you'll have a more stable and faster device without it.

    As far as tethering, I have no idea as I don't do that. My impression was that if you want to tether you gotta use PDANet if only for the sole fact to avoid tethering charges from Sprint. Throw in any added configuration convenience and it seems a no brainer.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, how is SprintTV free?

    I pay $10 for unlimited PowerVision. Isn't SprintTV $9.95 a month extra?

    $9.95 x 12 = 119.40

    over 2 years that's $240.

    I paid $139 (no tax, free shipping) for a Slingplayer and a free code for the mobile software. Now I get streaming cable and my DVD player (or Tivo if I had it). It flat out kills SprintTV.
    I was referring to the basic SprintTV which is free, it is plenty for me. I have a SERO plan where I pay $50 for 1250 minutes with Unlimited Power Vision. Therefore, Basic SprintTV is FREE for me.

    I have no doubt that Slingbox can "KILL" Sprint TV in all its glory. However, I was merely referring to the fact that 700p has the "Free" Sprint TV whereas, 700wx counterpart does not offer a similar service. I'd like to compare my orange to another orange.

    As for the PDANet, I don't mind using it or even paying $24 for it. PDANet works great initially but I'm beginning to notice many issues.
    1. Connection Drops
    2. Incoming call complicates things and often need a soft reset to tether again.
    3. Lastly, 700p's bluetooth tethering is FREE. While $24 isn't a lot of money, it sure can't beat a FREE solution.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by ejoshkim; 12/07/2006 at 12:30 PM.
  12. #12  
    just my thoughts.

    the 700wx before it was released claimed to give sprint tv, picture mail, and teather sms messaging. we got the teathered sms thanks to hannip. i feel that when the software up date that palm is working on for sprint is released, we will see sprint tv, picture mail, and native threaded sms messaging.

    i have a buddy that is just a sales guy, but in one of the largest sprint stores in the country (right accrossed the street from the sprint world headquaters in kansas city). he said that he heard that sprint was pretty upset to see that the wx did do sprint tv and picture mail. these are thing that sprint wanted supported on the device which would make them even more money. even the theared sms app would generate more money with people texting more.

    i feel that once both devices get there up dates that the wx will be the greater. if the wx gets what it was suppose to have.

    as far as bluetooth teatherig... bluetooth is one of the issues on the table for sure. we could possibly see something happen here as well.

    cody

    ps: slingbox rocks
  13. #13  
    Try usbmodem as an alternative to pdanet. I've never tried it, but others have said it works.
  14. #14  
    I have tried both and returned back to the 700p. I agree with most of your observations. The "today" screen byshh software for palm is excellent! I works well with 4cast. I do not miss the today screen from WM because of this app. Well worth it.

    My review of the two: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=127493
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I've never had to pay for the software. Their PC software is always free. You are suppose to pay a small fee for the mobile software, but a free registration code was available for many when they bought a new slingbox. I don't think that deal is still available, but I've heard reports of people sending an email or calling slingmedia to get the code for the mobile player and they give it to you for free.

    For Orb, you still need to buy an appropriate video card with TV capability if you don't already have it. Correct?
    That is absolutely correct, but you can get a USB TV card for $50.00, so its still a better route then SprintTV in my opinion. It also allows one to view/play almost any media on ones computer which is kindof nice.
  16. #16  
    Did you read the review of the Kinoma Player 4x on the front page? Now that is a nice media player. It is Palm OS only. Is there an equivalent WM5 product?
  17. zeze22's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob View Post
    Did you read the review of the Kinoma Player 4x on the front page? Now that is a nice media player. It is Palm OS only. Is there an equivalent WM5 product?
    Selectradio is the closest thing, but it's ****-*** ugly, plays no vids and plas none of your own media (SD card or internal)
  18. #18  
    I think coreplayer/tcpmp would measure up well to kinoma. It lacks the .flv playback though.

    Interesting story, I had a friend that has a 700p and I have a 700wx. Alot of times he will be doing something and then he will just hold up the 700p. When he does that, I know that the 700p is spontaneously rebooting. Hes got it down to only 2-3 times/day he says.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    Interesting story, I had a friend that has a 700p and I have a 700wx. Alot of times he will be doing something and then he will just hold up the 700p. When he does that, I know that the 700p is spontaneously rebooting. Hes got it down to only 2-3 times/day he says.
    I grantee that the number of resets between the 700p and 700wx are 10 to 1. with the wx being clearly the winner. There for the more stable
  20. Jdoc's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #20  
    Nice review. Altough I will say, draw in stability really didnt cut it. I guess you could say draw if comparing a 700w and its limited memory but if you are soft resetting your wx every day, there's something wrong there.

    Your wx should be rock-solid when it comes to stability. It's really not fair to call it a draw with the extremelly unstable garnet.

    Also didn't quite agree with the speed part. Almost everyone that has a 700p complains their phone is dog slow, while all 700wx praise their device for being so damn fast.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions