Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
    Nice review. Altough I will say, draw in stability really didnt cut it. I guess you could say draw if comparing a 700w and its limited memory but if you are soft resetting your wx every day, there's something wrong there.

Your wx should be rock-solid when it comes to stability. It's really not fair to call it a draw with the extremelly unstable garnet.

Also didn't quite agree with the speed part. Almost everyone that has a 700p complains their phone is dog slow, while all 700wx praise their device for being so damn fast.
    OK... this stability thing is getting silly. All the WM5ers are expressing indignation at the suggestion that Palm is more stable (which ALOT of people repeat, including professional reviews, most recently Consumer Reports).

There is more than one way to skin a PDA-freeze. If you run a 700p youll get delays and the white screen o' death if youve loaded it with junk. If you run a 700wx youll get delays and that horrific Windows-eque message about shutting down- "send / don't send"- in addition, youll get almost constant spinning-wheel delay icons.

I've run both machines for days in a row and have alot more bottlenecks on the 700wx. Moreover, the WX freezes are MUCH longer. Most professional reviews agree.

Too much crazy-*** disbursement of software and files in Windows- whether it be desktop or PDA.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    If you run a 700wx youll get delays and that horrific Windows-eque message about shutting down- "send / don't send"- in addition, youll get almost constant spinning-wheel delay icons.
    I still disagree. I've been using the wx since launch and have not gotten any significant amount of 'horrific' messages. The couple of times(max) I got it was because I was running beta apps and you know, beta apps tend to crash a lot

'ALMOST CONSTANT' spinning icons? Isn't that a bit extreme? Again, I have not experienced this. You will see the icon when you first launch an application but it doesn't take forever to launch. And after the app is open, its instant access everytime you wanna use it.

Also, don't completely judge a device by 'professional reviews'. These people use borrowed devices for a couple of days and then write a review that sometimes really don't match with the real experiences.

Myself I would rather learn about a device from the community, since these people are using their devices on a day2day basis. And as you can clearly see the community thinks the wx is far more stable. For me there is no professional reviewer that can go against it.

Just to clarify I'm not defending windows mobile, I actually had WM devices that kind of suffered of what you said(like the mda), but it simply doesn't happen on the wx, no no.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ok... maybe 'almost constant' was a bit strong. But I do get a spinning wheel and the accompanying delay for every app you open or even switch to...
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    software a draw?? hell wm5 has an emulator to run palm os apps...
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
    I still disagree. I've been using the wx since launch and have not gotten any significant amount of 'horrific' messages. The couple of times(max) I got it was because I was running beta apps and you know, beta apps tend to crash a lot

'ALMOST CONSTANT' spinning icons? Isn't that a bit extreme? Again, I have not experienced this. You will see the icon when you first launch an application but it doesn't take forever to launch. And after the app is open, its instant access everytime you wanna use it.

Also, don't completely judge a device by 'professional reviews'. These people use borrowed devices for a couple of days and then write a review that sometimes really don't match with the real experiences.

Myself I would rather learn about a device from the community, since these people are using their devices on a day2day basis. And as you can clearly see the community thinks the wx is far more stable. For me there is no professional reviewer that can go against it.

Just to clarify I'm not defending windows mobile, I actually had WM devices that kind of suffered of what you said(like the mda), but it simply doesn't happen on the wx, no no.
    palm has a reputation of being stable devices and ppc has been known to be a very buggy os. these things are not true anymore. win mobile is much more stable than palm and I have the 700p. I will be getting the wx next week.

the 700p is so damn slow. I never have enough memory to do anything, and the reset loops...damn!!! that's frustrating. I have to buy an app that let's me play videos, I had to buy a file viewer. I even had to buy an app to let other apps use the free memory I had available on my phone. ridiculous!!! oh yeah blazer defaults to wap sites. so if I open nfl or nba.com I get the crappy mobile version of the page
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Heres an area where the P wins: Screen lock.

The P has two options while the WX only has one which really sucks. I started a thread complaining about it: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131454
    how do I Disable the Touchscreen call answer function?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131454
    Quote Originally Posted by usernamer View Post
    Heres an area where the P wins: Screen lock.

The P has two options while the WX only has one which really sucks. I started a thread complaining about it: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131454
    Wow, you are on a MISSION my man!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I cant seem to find a hack or fix for it which seems weird cause Im sure other people have had the problem.
    how do I Disable the Touchscreen call answer function?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131454
    Quote Originally Posted by ejoshkim View Post
    I first purchased the 700p and now also have the700wx in possession. I need to return one of the phones in the coming week.
    I used both devices for two weeks now.

If it hadn't been for the Threaded SMS patch on the 700wx, I would've reverted back to the 700p for sure. But that isn't the case anymore. With the release of the patch, I am torn between the two. I know that there are some 700wx vs 700p comparison threads out there, but I wanted to share my personal experience and hopefully get your input. Again, all of these are "IMHO" and while I'm open to suggestions and corrections that might ultimately change my mind, I am NOT open to "wx v p" pissing contest nor random flames at my opinions. So here I go... Oh, BTW... This is my first post... So let me down gently if I'm being an *****.

Speed: Advantage: 700p. (Snappier than the 700wx. I don't have the means to quantify my judgment of 700wx being a "faster" device but my brain tells me that 700p is a bit snappier)

Stability: Draw (Yes, Draw. I think WM has finally caught up with PalmOS in terms of stability. Palm has unexplainable random resets while WM5.0 still freezes on me at times but both are very stable. So its a draw!)

Battery: Advantage 700p. (I am convinced that 700p lasts noticeably longer. I tried swapping the batteries. Leaving BT on, off. Different light settings amongst other things. I am open to your opinions, on this. However, after using the 2 units for couple of weeks, I am fully convinced that the "nature" of 700p drains the battery less than the 700wx.) Also, 700p allows USB charging and sync at the same time. However, 700wx does not allow that as far as I know. Crucially, this becomes an important issue when you are tethering via USA for a long period of time.

Screen: Advantage 700p (This is an easy one. Better Resolution. Also, at full strength backlight, the whites in 700p is whiter than the 700wx. 700wx's white is not 'FULLY white' compared to 700p, in fact, it appears to have a shade of yellow compared to the 700p's fluorescent white!)

Bluetooth Advantage 700wx. (Now, this is totally personal... I drive a 06 Lexus GS300 and while it is able to discover the 700wx, it does not discover the 700p. Sames goes with the 06 Acura TL (sister's). This is not the Treo's fault, it probably has to do with the Bluetooth embedded in the car, but as for me, the bluetooth compatibility with my GS300 is a big plus!)

Navigation: Advantage 700p (While I can say that 700p is close to 100% 'navigate-able' without the use of the stylus, 700wx is at about 85% IMO. In 700wx, while some can be navigated without the use of the stylus, it becomes too much of a hassle at times so I bust out my stylus out of pure frustration. However, I don't remember pulling out my stylus for 700p unless I needed to reset the device.)

Sync with Desktop Advantage 700wx (Seamlessness with Outlook. However, the Hotsync works well with Outlook as well. This can easily be a draw as well)

Initial Screen: Advantage 700wx: (This is just my preference. Comparing the "Today" screen and the Palm OS Nav Screen is like comparing apples and oranges. They serve a different function. Today screen in WM5.0 serves as a "portal" to your device, where as 700p's nav screen is just like the "program, settings" screen of the WM5.0. They can't be compared. I just prefer to see the WM5.0's "today screen". Being able to have a bird's eye view and access to contacts, tasks, upcoming events, google, and contacts is a big plus for me. In fact, the Today screen is a single biggest reason why I can't decide right now between a 700wx and 700p)

Phone, Dialer: Advantage: 700wx (The phone feels very "integrated" into the whole OS. I think this is another advantage that the "today" screen provides for the WM5.0. The fact that the current call can be displayed on the today screen is a big plus. I just wish that the call log entries were "thinner". It is such a waste of space. 700p's call log screen is informative and can fit many logs in one screen without having to scroll down repeatedly.)

Contacts: Advantage: 700wx. (Contacts are easier to navigate. Also there is a "direct access" on the today screen where you can immediately look up contacts. I have about 250 contacts and this is very useful to me.)

Email: Advantage: 700wx. (Simply because the VersaMail is not reliable and outlook in WM5.0 has improved in functionality and have become more stable compared to WM2003se)

Messaging: Draw (Just install the SMS patch on the WX and you're good to go. Although, MMS will not work properly on 700wx)

Browser: Advantage: 700wx (The lesser of two evil)

Camera, Video & Album: Advantage: 700p (Easy to use, and the quality of the picture is actually better!)

Documents Advantage: 700wx (MS created MS Word and Exel and therefore I'd prefer to stick with 700wx rather than the Docu to go from the 700p. If anything, the Documents To Go has crashed on me few times and takes longer time to load.)

Calculator: Advantage: 700p (The calculator on 700p simply kicks ****. 700wx calculator is too menial)

Sprint TV: Advantage: 700p (At first, I didn't use this feature, but if you get into it, it is quite entertaining. Although the quality contents need to be paid for, there are some interesting things in there that will help you kill your time when you are at your dentist office, airport and etc...

Map Programs Advantage: 700wx (Original Review: Map4PDa for WM 5.0 is a great program. HOWEVER, you need to install .net CF 2.0 which slows down things considerably. There are other options such as the Google Maps (on java) and Maps24 but it is not nearly responsive and snappy as the Google Maps that can be installed in 700p without a hitch. For those of you who REALLY need a map program, I'd strongly recommend the Google Maps for Palm OS . You don't need to mess with .net CF 2.0. UPDATED REVIEW: Windows Live Search will ROCK YOUR SOCKS!!! Its not another "search" attempt at dethroning Google. If you own a 700wx, go to http://wls.live.com and download either the java or the WM version. (I downloaded the WM version and is working great!). Just spend 10 minutes with it. You'll know that this is the best map program bar none!)

Multimedia Player Draw (I'd say Media Player and pTunes have there disadvantages and advantages that makes 'em awash, I really wish there was a third party option out there that can handle all my multimedia needs.)

Tethering Advantage: 700p (Both the 700p and 700wx support tethering. Although 700wx USB tethering is bit cumbersome to setup. However once it is setup, it is really easy to use there afterward. However, 700p's ability to Tether BT easily is really important to me. Especially because PDAnet has been really buggy to me on WM5.0. I tether quite frequently so this is an important issue for me.)

Software Availability, Current and Future 700wx (Original Review: Currently, there seems to be more PROVEN programs available for the Palm OS specific for the Treos. However, as more and more smart devices use the WM5.0, I'd say WM5.0 will have more choices in the future. Updated Review After careful consideration and the discovery of Windows Live Search, I'd say there are and will be more options for the WM5.0. Chalk up another on for WX.

==========================================================================================
    Addendum (Updated: DEC 7, 2006)

Multitasking Advantage: 700wx (Considering that Multitasking is very important for many people and for me as well, I think this should be mentioned as well.)

============================================================================================

Considering that they cost the same, from an economic standpoint, it is a complete draw.

I know that I haven't mentioned certain issues such as terminal services, a2dp, etc... I only wanted to address my personal needs at this point. However as you put your inputs and make the list grow longer, I'm sure we can help potential buyers an "educated" decision. Or at the very least, people will know what they are buying.

At this point I am completely torn between the two... If you guys have a good way to circumvent (3rd party software solution) please share. Considering that I need to keep this device for 2 years, I really need to make an educated choice and I can use some help

Thank you all!
    I too drive a GS300 but only the 700p works with my vehicle, the 700wx only works initially, but I cannot receive incoming calls through the cars sound system, and after the first call, before I pull out of the driveway, I am never sure I will be able to use the sound system for another call. Where as the 700p usually (not always), lets me use the sound system for dialing out from the handheld, and then can be heard through the car, so I was thinking of switching back to the 700 p.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12