1.    #1  
    On previous versios of windows mobile we could remove junkware to free up memory and cluter. Since, on the treo, we can't unlock the rom this is not possible. Junkware are applications that came with the phone, that you don't use.
    I do something that doesn't remove these apps from the rom, but does free your device from a lot of clutter. I thought I would share.
    I use total commander, but I'm sure resco would work as well. I think the stock file explorer will work as well, but with total commander I can control which selections and move all at once. It doesn't matter.
    First I create a folder called "junkware". I prefer to put this somewhere on the storage card. It doesn't matter what you call it or where you put it as long as you have somewhere to put the junk. Now using your file explorer, go to windows/start menu/programs and select the programs that you will never use. Move these to the junkware folder. I don't delete these, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Since there still in the rom thay will show up again after a hard reset. Now when you go to start and select programs, all you will see is the stuff you want. These are the programs I have removed. Download agent, get goodlink, help, inbox (the extra on that the threaded sms app created), messaging (the extra one as well), modem link, my treo, on demand, pocket msn, quick tour, search, tasks, terminal services, and usb switch. A total of 14.
    Now for tip two. You can go in to your windows/start menu/programs folder and rename any of the programs you want. For example, windows live shows up with the name "search" which I renamed to "windows live maps". This just makes it look better. You can do this as well for the apps in your windows/ start memu folder. This folder is the list that shows up when you hit the start button.
    Now if your like me and forget that you added some programs to your start menu and go to try and open the app by going to start/programs just to find that it is not there, this ones is for you. By default, the apps that you select to put in you start menu will not show up in your programs list any more. What I do is go to windows/start menu/ and copy these apps and put them in the windows/start menu/ programs folder. Now you have them in both places. Just in case you forget where you put it.

I hope this helps someone. Please reply back if you found this useful. Reply as well if you have problems or questions.

Cody
    Last edited by codyppc; 12/06/2006 at 08:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    What I do is go to windows/start menu/ and copy these apss and put them in the windows/start menu/ programs folder. Now you have them in both places. Just in case you forget where you put it.

I hope this helps someone. Please reply back if you found this useful. Reply as well if you have problems or questions.

Cody
    Does copying the app take up a lot of extra memory, or are you simply copying a shortcut?
    Never mind I realized it's just the shortcut.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    Does copying the app take up a lot of extra memory, or are you simply copying a shortcut?
    Never mind I realized it's just the shortcut.
    the app " intrenet explorer" shows only 9 b.
    I would see this as small. I my case I moved 14 apps to the card and only copied 7 back to the programs folder. I still saved a little room. these aren't the actual apps. it is just the .lnk files. very small. this won't effect memory size, just clutter.
  4.    #4  
    wow, i can't belive everyone allready knew this or no one found it useful.

mods please delete this

mods please delete this
    I found it very useful, thanks.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    I found it very useful, thanks.
    well thank you littlewaywelt. you were the one thay we talking about when thay said " one man can make a difference".

if I helped one person it was worth it.
    Just to add, you can order your items in the startmenu by adding a numeric value in front of the application name (ie. 1.Internet Explorer, 2.Messaging, etc).

Also, Resco works very well, especially when you need to copy a shortcut from one place to another.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  8.    #8  
    [QUOTE=JGold;1145013]Just to add, you can order your items in the startmenu by adding a numeric value in front of the application name (ie. 1.Internet Explorer, 2.Messaging, etc).

QUOTE]

i like this idea. i will give it a try.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Just to add, you can order your items in the startmenu by adding a numeric value in front of the application name (ie. 1.Internet Explorer, 2.Messaging, etc).

i like this idea. i will give it a try.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Cody,

Even though I did not reply, I did find it very useful. I was just lazy not to tell you originally.

Greg
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts

mods please delete this
    Very funny. Sounds like something I would say.

Greg
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post

I tried this and wanted to let people know... it does work. altho it will put the number there as well.

what I did to make you favorite one item the first one without adding the number one to it was just add a space before the name. the space is displayed as well but doesn't look as funny.

never the less, jgolds addition to this was is perfect. it's all about customizing the start menu and programs folder.

thanks, cody
    Anyone figure out anything about the Icons in the start menu sometmes they are there and most of the times its the white box with blue on top. it makes my start menu goofy looking.
  14.    #14  
    it has to do with some apps being put on storage card. when this happens to me, I uninstall and then reinstall to main memory
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    now this is some good ****
    bump dis if ur down
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    now this is some good ****
    bump dis if ur down
    thanks, you dont save a super amount of memory, but you do save some.

the biggest thing for me is not having to scroll through a bunch of junk in my list of programs.

i'm glad someone liked it.
    and folks probably know this as well, but if you want to avoid scrolling in the Programs group, you can also go to the Start Menu, and then hit the first letter of the app, and jump right to that app.
    For example, if I'm launching an app I haven't used in a while, (say, eWallet, for example), from the Today screen I just hit Start then 'P' then 'E', and that does a quick launch of Programs/eWallet.

So nice.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    and folks probably know this as well, but if you want to avoid scrolling in the Programs group, you can also go to the Start Menu, and then hit the first letter of the app, and jump right to that app.
    For example, if I'm launching an app I haven't used in a while, (say, eWallet, for example), from the Today screen I just hit Start then 'P' then 'E', and that does a quick launch of Programs/eWallet.

So nice.
    yes, nice addition. I forgot about that one. you do need to hit the ok button after words as well.

thanks for the helpful hint addition, cody
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Thanks Cody for your instructions on setting Start Menu items in Windows. I had done this once before, but I dont do surgery on my Treo often, and it had long since gone cold on me exactly what to do. But due to a hardware issue, my Treo 700wx was replaced by Sprint. However, the new Treo was version 1.15 and my previous was 1.14. I used my Sprite backup 6 SD card to restore the Treo. I selected the ROM upgrade restore option, and the restore went absolutely clone perfect...except, for my Tasks...? They were no longer on the Start menu and not in the Program launch window, nor in the Settings Menus list to re-select for the Start menu. I contacted Sprite ( a slow process) and Palm ( a useless process on a matter like this) and still had no resolution. Then I did a search and once again found your directions on the matter. I did a search to find were the Tasks (or at least a short cut) was located, copied it, and pasted it in the windows/start menu folder. It worked, and I of course have my Tasks again!

I know with people starving in Africa and fighting in Irag, I feel a little small being concerened about my Start Menu items, but, I am grateful to you and others who provide very helpful info on this forum (as well as PPCGeeks), and to those who maintain the forum. Thanks again, Paul