Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is from another site (Sprint Users):

I am sure this has already been discussed, but I want to make everyone aware that has a Treo 700wx that there is a PRL Update. Many people are not aware. Most of the threads only discuss the 700p, but the same update is available for the 700wx. Here is how to go about it. First, check the PRL version you have. Go to Start>Settings>System>About>Phone and then scroll down to check PRL. It will be a 4 digit number, it should read 20225, that is the latest version. If you have anything less, follow these steps. Call CS (*2), ask to have your account flagged for the lastest PRL update. Then wait about 1/2 hour and dial *2. It should prompt you and say that your phone is being updated. An automated voice will let you know that the update is complete. Hang up and then do a soft reboot (this is done by quickly tapping your reset button). Then do Start>Settings>System>About>Phone and scroll down to check your PRL version. It should now read 20225.

Most threads do not get into detail about how to go about PRL Updates, and the average user does not even know what a PRL update is. This is why I decided to do this thread.

I highly recommend this update be done for all 700wx users. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I know that in my case, my phone picks up evdo after the prl update.
    what exactly does this update does?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by xplod4202 View Post
    what exactly does this update does?
    Better Signal Strength
    Better Battery Life
    EVDO Internet Speed
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    im on the line with them now.

what happens if we gotta do a hard reset?
    No hard reset needed. Soft reset after the update occurs.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    What i mean is that if we ever have to do a hard reset, do we need to do this update again? My gut tell me no but I gotta ask anyway.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    No hard reset needed. Soft reset after the update occurs.
    no
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    my signal increased.......
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Just called. Hope I get some improvement, too.
    jus did the update, and I didn't have to wait 30 mins. Signal strength seems around 2 bars better, and evdo might be better. Thanks for the heads up!
    Quote Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
    jus did the update, and I didn't have to wait 30 mins. Signal strength seems around 2 bars better, and evdo might be better. Thanks for the heads up!
    Well, mine is downrev by 1. How does one get the update? Is this a call to customer service (kill me now)?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I just called to get my update... Let me just transcribe it to you guys. GOTTA LOVE SPRINT!

-Hi This is [i dont remember the lady's name] how can I help u 2day?
    *Hmm i would like to get my account flagged for a PRL update.

-May I ask you why you would want that?
    *To see if it helps picking up a better signal and stuff.

-Hum, but prl is for roaming!
    *hmmmmmmmm.. OK! I roam a lot.

-But It's not gonna improve your signal.
    *It picks up more towers, right?

-(Sigh) Ok, i can certainly help you with that.
    *Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you. (as in, FINALLY! LOL)

-Call *2 after you hang up for the update. Is there anything else i may assist you with today?
    *hmmmm, no.

-Ok thanks for calling spri--OOOOOOOOOOOH, would you like to add 1 thousand txt messages for just $10 ?
    *No thank you bye [HANG UP]
    My call was very pleasant. I got a lady in Salt Lake city and she didn't hound me why I wanted the PRL, she just did it. As soon as I hung up I saw my phone getting flagged. Then called *2 and when the automated voice asked me what I wanted I said "PRL Update" and it updated immediately.

My home signal that was so weak I couldn't maintain a call is now a full 4 bars. As Borat would say. "Veeeery Niiiice!!!"
    Last edited by hannip; 12/05/2006 at 07:24 PM.
    I did the update too. No prob from the rep - he was actually VERY helpful, which is baffling. Nevertheless, I went from having one bar (as in almost none) at home, to having one bar. In other words, no benefit at all. I'm so jealous people are seeing way better results.

hannip, you lucky little freak

and yes, I checked to make sure the update worked. My PRL reads 20225.

Anyone else get less than stellar results?
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Alienwhere, no changes here for me either.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Called in twice prl said complete suscessfully still prl is at 20222
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
    Alienwhere, no changes here for me either.
    I'd say "great" to make myself feel better, but what good would that do either of us, eh?
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    Better Signal Strength
    Better Battery Life
    EVDO Internet Speed
    Just to clarify, these things are not programmed in as a software upgrade would. Rather these may be side effects of the PRL update. PRL stands for prefered roaming list, each cell compay has these and it's the result of new roaming agreements usually. Many people claim better reception after a PRL update, this may be a physiological effect because in theory you are only updating the roaming towers. My personal thought is that it's worth it to update if only because it's like keeping your security setting up to date, let's face it...who want's a phone with outdated anything on it? Not me.
    My personal experience says that PRL updates are probably a good idea because any new towers that companies put up whether they acknowledge it or not, may not be recognized until a software update, like a PRL, or a soft reset. This would be similiar in nature to when you cross into another time zone, your phone may not pick up the new time for quite some time. However, if your turn your phone off and right back on it will pick up the new time immediatly. Anyway this was just to clarify.
    -Parrott84

The Treo 700wx was a great device. Especially for one handed use, but it would be hard to give up my Mogul now.

myChristianConnection.org
    Just called and the rep. flagged my account after asking me if I wanted 6pm calling for only $10 a month.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast