Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I just updated to the new PRL and I think it's messing with PhoneAlarm.

Now, my phone LED light keeps flashing green and I'm sporadically getting audible alerts that I have a new message. All my PhoneAlarm indicators show "0". I checked them anyway and have no missed calls or messages of any kind.

I've done 5 soft resets so far.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions?

TIA
    Joe Fallico
    Commodity Futures Broker

Insignia Futures & Options, Inc.

InsigniaFutures.com

parrott84: agree with you 100%.

People tend to report re-markable phone altering changes after PRL updates ("it's more stable!", "I get faster speeds!", etc) but usually most PRL udpates are quite banal and overwhelmingly have little effect (hence why they are not mandatory and a lot of techy people role their eyes).

Now evidently, this PRL enables Data roaming, so that is pretty huge and like you said, always better to be safe and have the latest.

But for other users, here are the "changes" from the last two PRL updates and I ask if this really effects you or you think it matters (this is not to discourage anyone, I just want to point out possible placebo effects, etc. But I think it IS a good idea to get PRL updates, after all--doesn't cost anything and takes very little time.)

PRL 20223

Network Acquisition
    Changes were made to optimize acquisition between the Strategic Roaming Alliance partner in Oklahoma and Sprint. It is recommended that all customers in Oklahoma markets obtain a PRL update.

Domestic Roaming Coverage
    No changes.

International Roaming Coverage
    • PRL 10034 – No changes for international roaming partners.
    • EVDO PRL 20223 – To assist the acquisition of EVDO network in Canada, it is recommended that customers traveling to Canada obtain a PRL update.

To determine where international roaming coverage is available today, reference Wizard or view the international roaming maps on Sprint.com by accessing the following link and performing a search for coverage. www.sprint.com/internationalroaming
    PRL 20224

Network Acquisition
    No network acquisition changes.

Domestic Roaming Coverage

Changes were made to the PRL to assist customers with the Treo 700p. The Treo device was unable to receive voicemail indicator and place and receive calls while roaming in Norfolk, Virginia. The issue was confined to Treo devices.

Additionally, a change in carrier preference was made to Digital 800 CDMA roaming systems in central Wisconsin.

Customers who live or travel with tri-mode and digital dual mode devices or EVDO devices can obtain a PRL update to take advantage of this change.
    Rackman: My phonealarm is fine. I don't see how a PRL update could affect such a program but maybe it's just related to something else. Why not uninstall/reinstall PA?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Thanks for the reply Mal.

I just installed the latest version of PA (1.57) and so far, no problems.
    Joe Fallico
    Commodity Futures Broker

Insignia Futures & Options, Inc.

InsigniaFutures.com

Just did the 20225 update. Nothing glaringly different except that I can now see into the future and my phone knows who I want to call without me telling it.
    Called to get flagged for the update and the CS rep told me he didnt see where i needed a new PRL. I checked and my current PRL is 20222. Do you have to ask for that specific PRL number? I have noticed in the last day or two I have been having problems keeping signal on EVDO at my house and after I hang up the phone from a call it loses service..Could whatever 20225 does on the tower side (if anything) be causing what I am seeing?
    Yeah, well I still have 4 full bars. Placebo effect or not it's Veeeery Niiiice!!!
    no magic for me....but I still like to be up-to-date
    Just got of the phone with a rep she said it didn't look like i needed an updated but to call back and say prl update at the voice promp and it should automatically update me. well i did and it directed me to another rep who said i didn't need the update and i still have PRL 20222 any ideas what wrong here
    Won't the PRL update get pushed out OTA? This is how I got the last one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xegem View Post
    Just got of the phone with a rep she said it didn't look like i needed an updated but to call back and say prl update at the voice promp and it should automatically update me. well i did and it directed me to another rep who said i didn't need the update and i still have PRL 20222 any ideas what wrong here
    push them when they say you don't need it...I get sick of those idiots trying to tell me what I want.
    I have tried 5 times today to get flagged.. and they wont..
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I just called and got mine flagged. I called *2 right back, as the rep directed, and the the update was installed.

I get a really good signal at home so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if my signal at work is better.
    I called Sprint and they said I don't need the update and couldn't get it. I have PRL 20222 and live in San Diego. Is this right? Or should I keep trying?
    OOps Sorry, I see this question has been answered just above.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    no increase in signal at work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    parrott84:

Now evidently, this PRL enables Data roaming, so that is pretty huge and like you said, always better to be safe and have the latest.

I thought this as well but am now hearing that 20225 and data roaming were just coincidental and really having nothing to do with each other- i.e. users with 20224 able to roam onto VZ.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by nydog View Post
    no increase in signal at work for me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_Roaming_List
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I called last week and had my account flagged for the update. I was told it was done. It wasn't.
    Needed to call back today and do it all over again. Just FYI for others who called but haven't had theirs updated.
    Now mines 20225, rather than 20222.
    Just keep calling Sprint and ask for the PRL update for you phone. Dont tell the the whole story that you keep getting told "No". Worked on the 3rd time for me.
    for those of you getting a run a round with sprint cs when asking for them to flag your account, here are some things that help me.

first, don't ask, tell them to flag your account. what I say when thay ask... how can I help you... I say " yes would please flag my account for a prl update". you must sound like you know exactly what your talking about.

second, when thay tell you just to call back and say "prl update" tell them that you tried that and it doesn't work and that you need someone to just take a minute and do it manually.

third, when thay look at your account and say that you don't need it tell them that you KNOW that there has been a 20225 prl released and you want it. you roam a lot.

this sence of confidence always works for me. don't be cocky just serious.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast