1.    #1  
    I have tried everything i tried to set up a vpn but i am not sure if i am doing it right i have remote connections turned on and i am able to connect to my main computer with my laptop. I am sure its a stupid vpn setting i don't know about. By the way i am using comcast through a router pleasee help guys thanks

Don
  2. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    If you want to use the Terminal Services Client (built-in to WM5), the process should be very similar to connecting with your laptop using the Remote Desktop client.

What gets confusing is that there are several different ways to get a remote desktop and they have similar names.

Are you able to connect with your laptop from a remote network? If so, what program are you using?

If you want to connect with RDP to your XP/2000/2003 system, you will at a minimum need to enable remote connections (as you said you have done) and you will need to forward port 3389 to this system.

Then, you will need to figure out what your internet IP is. If you are in a dynamic range this can be tricky and can be helped with a dynamic DNS service such as dyndns.org.

If none of this helps, please provide more info.
  3.    #3  
    I already have this port set up for fowarding i have my ip address i am still having trouble with this
  4. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Sorry, that isn't enough information to know exactly what you are doing and how.

Are you able to connect with your laptop from a remote network? For example, can you take your laptop to a hotspot and connect back to your Terminal Server system? If so, what program are you using?

Did you forward port 3389 or a different port?

Are you still adding a VPN to the mix? Normally a VPN is not required for connection to your home PC. If this is a work network, a VPN may or may not be necessary depending on configuration and policy. If the firewall maps 3389 directly to the Terminal Server you can connect directly without VPN.

If you do have to connect with a VPN first then you can disregard everything I have said because I misunderstood your problem in the first place.

If it doesn't freak you out feel free to PM me the IP and I can see what it looks like from this end.
  5.    #5  
    Please check your message dwg i emailed you some i pm'd you