Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've read the other threads on GPS navigation and it seems like people recommend iguidance, tomtom and mapopolis for the software side. Does anyone have any updated information on this. Is tomtom really worth the $130?

thanks
    I use CoPilot Live 6 for Treo700W. It was the first software released specifically for this phone. I have never used other GPS software but I have been very happy with CoPilot.
    I use iGuidance on my 700w and since installing the patch fo rthe lag in voice directions it has been great. I bought it as a package with the Globalsat BT-359 from Semsons. I would highly recommend it.
    haven't you seen the commercials. tomtom
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    TomTom, just upgraded mine today to v6 with the maps of Western Europe, not bad for 50
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I have TT6 and iGuidance 3.01. I prefer TT for my Treo 700Wx. Just a "smarter" program with a lot of nice little touches, not to mention soft-key support.
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    I have TT6 and iGuidance 3.01. I prefer TT for my Treo 700Wx. Just a "smarter" program with a lot of nice little touches, not to mention soft-key support.
    I have both also. And I like TT6 better but

1. Uses too much memory on my 700w

2. The map data seems to be years behind Iguidance. (But TT6 has better POI)
  8. SHV
    I have iGuidance 3 (haven't yet installed the patch). It has been a little flaky on me ever since I got a replacement 700w (shuts down intermittently for no apparent reason) but I like it. On my original phone, I had no problems.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    I have both also. And I like TT6 better but

1. Uses too much memory on my 700w

2. The map data seems to be years behind Iguidance. (But TT6 has better POI)
    Memory issue I haven't seen--but I have the 700Wx.

And, I agree that iGuidance reportedly has newer maps, but I think TT6 aren't too far behind. (But, different map source companies, and I think Navtec (?) which iGuidance uses is supposed to be the better for North American maps than TT's TeleAtlas maps (?).

Bottom line: both are really good programs, but I've begun to prefer TT6.
    Hi,

I use Mapopolis.
    Works great!
  11.    #11  
    I went ahead and bought i-guidance 3. I was told it has the best maps made for north america.
    can someone send me the usa/canada map? or a regional northeast map of the us? i have the north america map but its 1.2gb and i dont like it taking up all of the space on my 2 gb sd card and i would rather not go out and by a new sd card. let me know if anyone has these for tt6?
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
    can someone send me the usa/canada map? or a regional northeast map of the us? i have the north america map but its 1.2gb and i dont like it taking up all of the space on my 2 gb sd card and i would rather not go out and by a new sd card. let me know if anyone has these for tt6?
    *cough*demonoid*cough*
    I too vote for Tom Tom 6. I have used Mapopolis in the past, Oncourse Navigator, tried iGo 2006 and Miomap, and iGuidance. I like Tom Tom 6 the best because I feel it's quicker and easier to tap out navigating to a POI on the screen. The 'Tom Tom Weather' feature is kinda neat too. It just seems to be more customizable with all kinds of fun voices, different color schemes that you can download OTA, etc.

All maps for all programs were missing a newer development of streets in my neighborhood, but the recently-released v660.xxxx Tom Tom maps now have those streets!
    I use and LOVE Telenav. No maps to buy. No card slot to lose by having to use the SD for maps. Awesome. And you guys may have seen of the stuff they're getting ready to come out with - traffic updates; and finally going to 3D views.
    Can't say enough good things about Telenav.
    www.telenav.com

And the app for my WX I'd TOTALLY 5-way functional. Never have to touch the screen or whip out the stylus.
    Great.
    I second that motion for TeleNav. I just got the bundled GPS in the mail ($99.99) and it rocks! no tver having to sit and download/update/sync maps is freedom! also my 4gb sd card can now be freed up to do what I bought it for... play music and video (but I use orb all the time too...)
    for $10/per month- its worth it!
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    I just spent the holidays traveling to family with both TT6 and INav. And while TT6 looks flashier and is slightly easier to access all the settings one-handed....but I prefer Inav. and here's why.
    1. INav makes much better use of the smaller screen of the Treo 700w/wx. TT6 just uses too much space on the bottom of the screen. I like seeing more of the map in Inav
    2. Inav has way better voice prompting. It tells you the distance to the next turn...AND WHAT ROAD YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. That's very very nice. TT6 only says turn right ahead.
    3. The map data is definately more complete in Inav. While TT6 is a big improvement over TT5, the data is still either old or erroneous. One example is; My house is 7 years old, but it wants me to turn left when I get to my cross street instead of the correct right.
    4. INav seems a little lighter on the resources than TT6.
    5. Oh and you get a PC version included with your purchase...which works great on my laptop as well.
    6. And it's cheaper!!

With that being said. I do like parts of TT6's interface. It's easy to operate one-handed, but sometimes you really have to go through a lot of menus to get to where you want to be.

And I REALLY REALLY WISH Inav would incorporate WM5 softmenus, but it works fine.

That's just my 2cents.
    I have tried TT6 and iGuidance 3.0.1. I also used Telenav on my old Sanyo MM9000 phone.

Its nice that Telenav doesn't require you to download maps that are huge files, however, it requires that you stay connected to the internet (Vision on Sprint). Most of the time this is fine, especially if its an EV-DO area. If you're in a 1xRTT area, then you can forget about getting incoming calls while you're on Telenav. The maps are pretty complete since they're on Telenav's servers they're always the most recent.

I tried TT6 but I didn't care too much for it. I'm not sure what I didn't like. I know the maps seemed out of date, but I had the 650.1112 maps of the US. The entire US maps package is smaller than iGuidance, which is a plus, but I think iGuidance was more complete. I would be willing to give TT6 another try sometime. TT6 seems to take alot longer analyzing roads when its getting a route.

For some reason I love iGuidance. You can load maps based on state which can save alot of memory if you only need a couple states. While there's only one voice, its very loud and clear and easy to understand. At first it kept telling me to take the interstate to get to my work, but I changed the setting from "Quickest" to "Local" and now it'll show me the back roads to get there. I also had to tell TT6 to avoid toll roads if I didn't want to take the interstate.

One really nice feature in iGuidance is how you can navigate to an address in your contacts. TT6 offers this too, but it always told me it couldn't recognize the address and it asked me to enter it manually, and it imported all the address info correctly, but I had to hit Next through every prompt, which got annoying.

I think its just preference on which one you like, and also which one seems to have the most complete maps for your area.
    my experience with telenav on my wx has been that the only data connection needed is the initial download of the the specific route and directions and voices. Once that's done, I'm off the data network. Of course, the GPS connection is needed throughout the route (same as with any device without built in GPS).

So maybe the difference was with your Sanyo phone? I've been in many 1X areas, using Telenav and had incoming calls hit my device fine. Once the call is over, my device would reconnect to the GPS and udpate my location and just keep on rockin'!
    and here's an example of why TeleNav is so much better (jsut got this in email from TomTom). Having to update maps - what a pain.
    --------------------
    Dear Mr GPS User,

New roads are being built and old ones are changing all the time. The most detailed and accurate maps of the U.S. and Canada ever produced are now available for your TomTom. And, for a limited time, they are on special promotion through March 31, 2007.

The latest US/Canada maps include:
    More than 410,000 new road miles
    Improved road detail and visual representation of surrounding areas
    More than six million new household and business addresses
    Updated Points of Interest, including more than 500,000 new POIs
    More one way indications, restricted turns, signposts and updated intersections
    Updated shopping centers and golf courses
    And more...

GET NEW MAPS NOW

The new maps are available on DVD for quick and easy installation to your TomTom GO/ONE/RIDER device and TomTom NAVIGATOR software. Ordering your new map
    software is easy.

To determine your eligibility for special map pricing you will need:
    1. The serial number of your GO, ONE or RIDER, or
    2. The product code for your NAVIGATOR software.

Are you ready for more? Get new maps now!

Kind regards,
    The TomTom team
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast