Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bebrewer View Post
    I was able to get the files in the right place, rebooted twice and waited quite awhile. Still not getting better than 350k on my download speeds. I'm thinking that HSDPA might not be available in the San Antonio market yet...
    Every USA 3G tower is HSDPA. You sure the right ones are in the right folders? They might be reversed....
    I have had the same problems everyone else did, and followed the advice here. HSDPA has been enabled 4 different times perfectly, even after hard booting/reset while setting up my phone just the way I like it.

What tripped me up the first tries is that I *cough* thought I knew exactly what to do and didn't follow the directions - like making my own shortcut without the parameter.

1. There are 2 files - SetHSDPA.exe (the program) and SetHSDPA.lnk (Shortcut). The shortcut has a parameter of "/enable" in it. You don't need another program to do this.

2. Copy the shortcut to /windows/startup directory on your Treo and make sure it is there.

3. Copy the .exe file to /windows directly on your Treo. You can drag and drop these files directly using explorer to make sure you have the right folders.

4. Give it some time. You will only show "U" in the Treo at this point until the Cingular upgrade. And depending on the signal you get, you may not always get HSDPA speeds or connections - no rhyme or reason at my house, but I only get HSDPA speeds maybe 80% of the time. But I do get it consistently - 800-930 kbits/sec.

This works perfectly, each and everytime on my Cingular 750, after every hard reboot and system cleanup.
    Jer 23:29
    I just finally got it to work. The right folder placement is the trick. Just got a sick speed reading of 905KB! Thanks to all!

Slightly OT, but anyone have a secret to lower the data plan rate? Didn't I read somewhere, that someone has a mediaNet plan of $20 or something? Going from my sprint $15 to the ridiculously uncompetative $40, is just a bit hard to swallow...I was going to add another line using an LG flip & a $20 data plan & then switch chips, will that work?
    Ok, this may be an incredibly dumb question but how do I find the /windows/startup directory and the windows folder. I've explored TREO thoroughly and unable to find it. All I found was the Windows Media program
    Quote Originally Posted by barrykai View Post
    Ok, this may be an incredibly dumb question but how do I find the /windows/startup directory and the windows folder. I've explored TREO thoroughly and unable to find it. All I found was the Windows Media program

Nevermind, just found it........We'll go with ignorance and too much beer last night
    Nevermind, just found it........We'll go with ignorance and too much beer last night
    Shouldn't have got my hopes up, I was looking at the Windows directory on my pc. So back to my original question of how do I find the windows directories on my Treo.
    Shouldn't have got my hopes up, I was looking at the Windows directory on my pc. So back to my original question of how do I find the windows directories on my Treo.
    My Windows Mobile-Based Device/ Windows/

My Windows Mobile-Based Device/ Windows/ Startup
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    UPDATE: Seems you dont even need to run the fit4cat_Hermes_Tweaker_v1.1a.cab at all.

Just place these files in the windows folders as documented (root and startup) and done. (ftp://xda:xda@ftp.xda-developers.com...SetHSDPAv2.zip)

Reboot/soft-reset two times and wait at least a few minutes!
    So, you never synched the fit4cat cab to the 750?
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
    So, you never synched the fit4cat cab to the 750?
    Unnecessary. The 2 files are all you need, then a soft reset
    Found the destination files on Treo but I'm getting the "access denied" error when I move the .exe file to Windows directory. Shortcut file copied successfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Every USA 3G tower is HSDPA. You sure the right ones are in the right folders? They might be reversed....
    Are you sure about that? There's conflicting information about that earlier in this thread. I do have them in the proper folders, going to try and check the link file out to make sure it reads word for word like the one from the archive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bebrewer View Post
    Are you sure about that? There's conflicting information about that earlier in this thread. I do have them in the proper folders, going to try and check the link file out to make sure it reads word for word like the one from the archive.
    I'm not 100% sure, but then again there's very little I am 100% sure about. I read somewhere (it was a while ago when I bought my hermes) that CINGULAR stated that every 3g tower they put up has HSDPA enabled. And I have never heard anyone in the US state they have one but not the other. Sometimes you will only get regular speeds, but that's due to other reasons (network traffic, signal, etc). It wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken, but I don't think I am on this one.
    That's correct. Every Cingular UMTS site is supposed to be HSDPA enabled. In some markets they're even HSDPA 3.6 (vs. normal 1.8) or so I hear.
    I don't know if anyone can confirm that they are all HSDPA, but Cngular says they are.

If you're having trouble getting high speeds on HSDPA. Try disabling the wireless.cingular.com proxy setting in Internet explorer. It's set in the registry so you can't change it. Just install the .cab file here:
    http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks...html#Download:
    All it does is change the 1 registry value as described.

You might open up the speeds of your Treo with HSDPA enabled.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I still can't get the SetHSDPA.exe file to copy into the Treo 750: Windows folder! It keeps saying access denied! Any ideas?
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
    Averaged 350 kbs before, now about 710. Thanks bigben and littlepat.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
  16.    #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
    Averaged 350 kbs before, now about 710. Thanks bigben and littlepat.
    You are very welcome
    You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBwell View Post
    I still can't get the SetHSDPA.exe file to copy into the Treo 750: Windows folder! It keeps saying access denied! Any ideas?
    Copy it to your card first. Then from the card to the Windows folder.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    I finally got it to work, then I drove to a 3G area, and I couldn't even get 3G speeds or the U icon on my Treo. Maybe I should delete the files and forget it until the update is released!
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
    I've read the posts, and have placed the file(s) in the corret places. For some reason the .lnk file is never transferred during an activesync. I have tried changing the name of the file and repeating. When I unzip the file, it has an ".lnk" extension, but when copied to the any activesync folder, it is simply a random file. Any suggestions?
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast