Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425 LastLast
    ok I did the hack and my speed sucks! I know I enabled high speed becase I can opccsioally get 500k...but it runs fast for the first few hundred k then slows to a dead crawl... never gets past 1mb...like it goes back to edge...

I even took the blackjack hack and killed the cingular proxy...

any ideas? I am in orlando.
  2.    #462  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette View Post
    ok I did the hack and my speed sucks! I know I enabled high speed becase I can opccsioally get 500k...but it runs fast for the first few hundred k then slows to a dead crawl... never gets past 1mb...like it goes back to edge...

I posted the original thread, so the best advice I can give you is install the new WM6 rom. There are a bunch of them out there. Go over to the XDA Developer site and find a mirror of the original posts.

Once you install the WM6 ROM you won't need the hack.
    Installed cab file, had to do two soft resets. Getting speeds at about 600k in Houston. Battery is about to die and I'm in an office building. Gonna try speed tests again after charing and gonig home.

woot!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette View Post

What's the "blackjack hack"? Searched for it in the forum, couldn't find anything meaningful.
    i just upgraded to WM6...does it mean I have HDSPA automatically enabled??

sorry for the newb question, but im not tech savvy...
    Yes. WM6 will make it unnecessary to get the hack. It fully supports HSDPA. I don't get why Palm didn't make it HSDPA right out of the box. I've run the hack since the 750 came out in January. Never any problems. Speeds up to 1.2Mbps, including tethering.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I get speeds of about 800k on my Treo 750...but when using PdaNet on my laptop, I only get about 200k (pre-HSPDA speeds.)

Is there a trick to getting the PdaNet speed up to HSPDA. I'm connecting via USB on a Windows Vista laptop.

Thanks.
    I d'loaded the cab from the most ecent link. Thanks to that author and all of ou guys that provide this great service.

My findings is that HSPDA is not consistent. Landed at Charlotte airport did a speed test, with the "U" symb up top and for the lie of me, could not get more than 50K. Crossed over to the next concourse and voila, 700+k.

Just thoight I'd share that.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    I get speeds of about 800k on my Treo 750...but when using PdaNet on my laptop, I only get about 200k (pre-HSPDA speeds.)

Is there a trick to getting the PdaNet speed up to HSPDA. I'm connecting via USB on a Windows Vista laptop.

Thanks.
    That's how I tether to my Treo. PDANet. Do you have the latest, and Vista-compatible version? Here is a link to the latest version, 1.80. I hope this helps.

http://junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

I have two questions and this may not be the right thread but I'm not sure where to start.
    1: does HSDPA speed up my uploads as well as downloads:- will it mean I can send large attached files faster?

2: at the Palm website the UK version of the official wm6 upgrade is temporaryily unnavailable, does anyone know how long that's been there or how much longer it will be? (i can't risk a hack or unnofficial upgrade coz it's my only phone for work and i'm screwed if it dies)
    750 never shows anything but "G" in downtown SF where there must be at least Edge and presumably more. The CAB seems to have installed properly, but I don't get "E" or "U" after numerous tries. Others have seen different results in SF Financial District? Speed with G showing got up to 250, I think, but nothing like results posted here.
    Quote Originally Posted by zamiv View Post
    750 never shows anything but "G" in downtown SF where there must be at least Edge and presumably more. The CAB seems to have installed properly, but I don't get "E" or "U" after numerous tries. Others have seen different results in SF Financial District? Speed with G showing got up to 250, I think, but nothing like results posted here.
    As for the cab install, did you do the 2 soft resets after the installation or since? I've been in your area plenty, and there shouldn't be any limitation downtown to the financial district.

Are you using a 3G-labeled Cingular/ATT SIM card? The older SIMs are hit and miss (primarily miss) for getting hi-speed data support.

Up to 250? If I recall the speed limitations correctly, that would be Class 10 EDGE speeds.
    Thanks for helping! The sim card says 3g on it, so that is probably ok. I have done a number of soft resets, I cannot say that I "executed" the app and then did 2 soft resets and then checked the connection (although it appeared to me that once in the startup folder I should not have to execute it manually). I tried turning the radio off and on to regain the connection, but always got G. I assume it would move between G, E, and U depending on availability without my interference, and the indicator would reflect that?
    Quote Originally Posted by zamiv View Post
    Thanks for helping! The sim card says 3g on it, so that is probably ok. I have done a number of soft resets, I cannot say that I "executed" the app and then did 2 soft resets and then checked the connection (although it appeared to me that once in the startup folder I should not have to execute it manually). I tried turning the radio off and on to regain the connection, but always got G. I assume it would move between G, E, and U depending on availability without my interference, and the indicator would reflect that?
    Before I assume too much, you're using WM5, correct? If you've put WM6 on the phone, you won't need the hack.

You may want to try deleting the hack (it will show up in your remove programs list), soft resetting, then redownloading and installing again. Follow that up with 2 successive soft resets, which should fully enable the hack to function. That's the boilerplate method to get the hack to work. Assuming you're in an area with UMTS or HSDPA available, the small 'U' with crossing arrows should show up when you connect to the internet.
    OK, I will try that today, and yes, this is WM5 still. I don't suppose there are any issues with provisioning, or registry issues that I should take into account?
    Last edited by zamiv; 10/06/2007 at 01:21 PM.
    ok I downloaded the cab and its installed under windows and startup folder.
    I am oly getting speeds from 200k to 450k in houston. I would think houston would have larger speeds closer to 800k. sometimes I check my speed and it drops to around 100 to 150 aswell. what's up, does the hack only work sometimes? I see the small 'u' on my topbar however I have never seen it go to an 'h' before. oh I did the two resets after installing the cab aswell.
    what else do I need to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post
    ok I downloaded the cab and its installed under windows and startup folder.
    I am oly getting speeds from 200k to 450k in houston. I would think houston would have larger speeds closer to 800k. sometimes I check my speed and it drops to around 100 to 150 aswell. what's up, does the hack only work sometimes? I see the small 'u' on my topbar however I have never seen it go to an 'h' before. oh I did the two resets after installing the cab aswell.
    what else do I need to do?
    My experience while in Houston has been about the same. Possibly just not enough bandwidth to serve that large an area, but I was just as surprised as you.

Unless you've flashed your 750 to WM6, you won't see the 'H'. The lower case 'u' is what you'll get when moving data, but your speedtests should show upwards of 384, which is the limit for UMTS. As long as you're in an area that has hi-speed service and 2-3+ bars of signal, you should get decent service.
    I've upgraded my Treo 750 (ATT/Cingular) to WM6. I see the H but still only get speeds around 250. I'm in Baton Rouge, LA. Is this because Baton Rouge isn't up to date yet?
    I am very new to Palm and about to get a treo 750 with At&t service through my company. They are having us install a 3rd party software from Good Link that alows them to control phone and possibly track us on GPS. I know that you can shut the GPS however not sure that they can't turn it back on remotely... There is no way to shut phone down completely unless you remove the battery and that could be very cumbersome...Can anyone come up with a solution, possibly installing a switch to shut power off through the back cover...I know this all sounds insane, however there are many sales people worried about the same thing....If I am in wrong forum please direct me....
    Last edited by prbmsolver; 10/24/2007 at 09:42 PM.
    It took 3 soft resets, but now I get 700k speed in Athens, GA!!!!

This may make it easier waiting on WM6.