Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    LOL, that's me (I'm RF9.)
    You da man! I always go back to that post when people question why using proxy speed tests are faster than non-proxy ones.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    You da man! I always go back to that post when people question why using proxy speed tests are faster than non-proxy ones.
    Yes, but it still doesn't explain why when I turn off the proxy and the HSDPA hack is enabled, it starts out fase and slows to a crawl.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    LOL, that's me (I'm RF9.)
    Haha, I"M FREAKING OUT MAN!!!

Well, I quote you because I respect you and your Treo wisdom. Now stop messing with my head and stick with one handle!
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    I got Treo 750 (Cingular). Phone is unlocked and I'm using T-Mobile.

I went to dslreporst.com/mspeed to test out the speed and I'm getting 70kbit/sec

Is this bad/medium/good ?

If its bad, what would be my steps to getting a better speed ?

Thanks in advance.
    22 pages. :/ Well, that's too much for me to browse every page.

Some questions:

1) what's the difference between all the Palm 750 models? 750v? 750w? 750?

2) has palm released a rom that fully supports UMTS and so on yet?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarnett View Post
    22 pages. :/ Well, that's too much for me to browse every page.

Some questions:

1) what's the difference between all the Palm 750 models? 750v? 750w? 750?

2) has palm released a rom that fully supports UMTS and so on yet?

Thanks!
    1) One is Cingular and the other is Vodafone. They are both Windows based.

2) The rom has always supported UMTS, we are waiting for a HSDPA update. There is a 'hack' for HSDPA and that is what this thread is about.

3) Its 22 pages not War and Peace.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Quote Originally Posted by maevro View Post
    1) One is Cingular and the other is Vodafone. They are both Windows based.
    Ok, so there are only two. Should I care which I get? Are there significant issues with either?
    2) The rom has always supported UMTS, we are waiting for a HSDPA update. There is a 'hack' for HSDPA and that is what this thread is about.

3) Its 22 pages not War and Peace.
    Yes, but War and Peace has meaningful content. This thread is 22 pages of "LOL" and "Is it done yet?".
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    There's no hardware difference between the Cingular and Vodaphone models - just different firmware biased towards the carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    There's no hardware difference between the Cingular and Vodaphone models - just different firmware biased towards the carrier.
    I had suspected that, thanks for confirming, holmes4.

Do you know of any issues between the firmwares. I saw somewhere that there was a hack required because the Cingular version forces Pocket IE to try to use their cache by default?

Is this so, and are there any other issues that might make it better for me to buy one or the other? I actually can choose either phone (I've checked) here...

Although, I guess one could flash the rom either way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Yes, but it still doesn't explain why when I turn off the proxy and the HSDPA hack is enabled, it starts out fase and slows to a crawl.
    Try setting Internet Explorer to "Desktop Mode."
    I think what's happening in 'default' and 'column' mode is that IE itself slows down to deal with the size of the web page. I think it freaks out trying to see if it has a bunch of stuff to re-format, even though it's all just hidden code in the page. I noticed it starts off like gangbusters and when it hits about 400KB it drops like a stone.

Put it in desktop mode and IE doesn't have to do any re-formatting, so it'll download as fast as it can.

I suspect the Treo and IE are more to blame for lower speeds than the HSDPA.

I did two tests just now with IE in desktop mode and Opera Mini at 100% ZOOM & desktop mode.

Both came out around 450kbps with the 600MB test.

Oddly enough, I'm getting in the 190'skbps now that AT&T improved EDGE speeds for the iPhone.
    Hi everyone.

I just put the .cab file from the first post on my storage card, installed it to device. Did two soft resets but...no results. My speeds say 289 at most. I live in Buffalo, NY. I've gone through all the pages of this thread, and since I used the .cab and did 2 soft resets I would think it should work. (used third party software for first soft reset and stylus for the second)

When I use ie it still says connecting to gsm 3g whatever. I have yet to see the "U" instead of the "g" as well. Any ideas?
    Last edited by mikieears; 06/29/2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added more detail
    I downloaded the hack and was trying to get it to work when I noticed something weird. At the top of my phone I have the "U" symbol with the arrows, as if I am connected to a UMTS signal. When I tap on the icon, it says that I am connected to GPRS. Can anyone help explain this? If I am truly connected to GPRS it makes sense why the hack isn't working.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by brezz View Post
    I downloaded the hack and was trying to get it to work when I noticed something weird. At the top of my phone I have the "U" symbol with the arrows, as if I am connected to a UMTS signal. When I tap on the icon, it says that I am connected to GPRS. Can anyone help explain this? If I am truly connected to GPRS it makes sense why the hack isn't working.

Brian
    It will always say that, GPRS that is. What's important is the U or G on the top by the antenna
    Quote Originally Posted by mikieears View Post
    Hi everyone.

I just put the .cab file from the first post on my storage card, installed it to device. Did two soft resets but...no results. My speeds say 289 at most. I live in Buffalo, NY. I've gone through all the pages of this thread, and since I used the .cab and did 2 soft resets I would think it should work. (used third party software for first soft reset and stylus for the second)

When I use ie it still says connecting to gsm 3g whatever. I have yet to see the "U" instead of the "g" as well. Any ideas?
    If you're only seeing a G then you're not connected to the high-speed network at all, so the cab is worthless. If you live in a 3G area and haven't seen a U yet then you probably need a new 3G specific SIM card
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazha View Post
    I got Treo 750 (Cingular). Phone is unlocked and I'm using T-Mobile.

I went to dslreporst.com/mspeed to test out the speed and I'm getting 70kbit/sec

Is this bad/medium/good ?

If its bad, what would be my steps to getting a better speed ?

Thanks in advance.
    T-Mobile has no 3G working in the US, and when they do you will not be able to access it with your phone. So this hack is pointless for ya, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    It will always say that, GPRS that is. What's important is the U or G on the top by the antenna
    Thanks. I am still seeing the "U" at the top, but not getting the upgraded speeds despite having the cab installed. I read here that it's taking some up to 24hrs for it to register. Is this true?
    ok, I went to att and got the 3g sim card. I'm guessing that I have to wait 24hrs before it goes into 3g cause I'm still getting speeds at like 200kkb
    "Good things don't end in 'eum,' they end in 'mania' or 'teria"

Treo 750
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    wow.. flawless... nice work everyone
  19.    #439  
    Love it - hate it.

Nice to see the hits on this hack.

Hate it that ATT and/or Palm have not come out with a rom update.

Anyone know when??
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    All I can say is... WOW. 800+kbps in Seattle, WA.

Nice job folks! Easiest hack ever.