Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    I haven't seen speeds above 400kbps in San Jose in a couple of weeks. before that I was getting great speeds up around 800. I'm getting faster than UMTS so I know HSDPA must be working, but my speeds just aren't that fast. Maybe it's the area. I'm in the Southern part of San Jose near Campbell and Los Gatos. I'm not sure if it's faster in other areas.
    I like to thanks all posts on this HSDPA thread. I've read most of them and I finally got the HSDPA working with the old blue ATT sims card on my new treo 750 with Cingular network. 1118kb/s, wow!

I've been enjoying the unlimited calls with old ATT charter plan for 99 buck. I'd like to add the new high speed data plan with Cing and was told I could not do that bcuz cing would not support old ATT sims card. So I have to subscribe the medianet for $29.00/mo

In the past 2 days, I've tried to follow the instructions posted on this thread but I could not get the HSDPA working. I was able to enable the HSDPA but I still get the speed around 300kb/s, sometimes it dropped to 150kb/s. At the best moment its seems to be reaching 800kb/s, then it went back to the old 200kb/s.

Finally I deleted, uninstalled the SetHSDPAv2 and remove the SetHSDPAv2.lnk from the windows/startup and reinstalled the SetHSDPA.exe file. This is how I did it:

1. copy the SetHSDPA.exe file to treo750 storage card via active sync's explore
    2. use file exlorer program to move the SetHSDPA.exe from storage card to /windows
    3. copy the SetHSDPA.exe in windows to windows/startup. It will give you a shortcut link with a name like "copy the shortcut of SetHSDPA". I just remaned this file to SetHSDPA. I think the rename of the link file helps a lot.
    4. I went to the computer and run the tweak to install the Hermes program into my treo 750.
    5. run the hermes tweak to enable the HSDPA and saveandexit.
    6. got soft reset. and to make sure a good reset, i took the battery out to reset the second time.
    7. I run the mobile peedtest and got 1118kb/s consistently for the whole night. the joy is unlimted!

Well, folks w old att charter sims! This hack works on the ATT charter plan. don;t give it up.

Many thanks to people contributed to the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    moderateinny: I am currently in San Jose right now and I still get HSDPA speed at a min of 700. Are you picking up UMTS/HSDPA signal or this going through EDGE/GPRS? Reception could be spotty for UMTS/HSDPA within buildings--I know it is here where I am and I am in a densely populated area of San Jose too.
    Sorry I missed this post before I left. I am back in NY for now but will probably be commuting back to SJC in a couple of weeks.
    I finally got my 750v HSDPA working on Vodafone Ireland. I thought I would post the details so that it might clarify some problems for others.

I installed the cab file in the first post on this thread, did the 2 resets, and then I installed the fit4cat application, and enabled HSDPA that way. Is this what everyone else does? I assumed from reading the instructions that this was not necessary, but I must have been mistaken. In any case it would not work for me without it.

I have also found a compatibility problem with Bandswitch, which is a fantastic application. I use it to switch off UMTS most of the time, to maximize battery life, and also prevent any problems of poor reception when moving from UMTS to GSM coverage. Anyhow, when I enable UMTS with Bandswitch, I only get 3G non-HSDPA speeds. In order to achieve HSDPA speeds, I need to use the fit4cat program to enable HSDPA again and do a soft reset. I could avoid this by removing Bandswitch, but i find it invaluable, and consider it a minor inconvenience to perform a soft reset the odd occasion that I need HSDPA speeds.

Anyhow, thanks to all on this forum for the great advice.
    I'm having a problem with my treo 750. I just got a storage card and when ever I try to cope this HSDPA hack it gives me a "Make sure your device has sufficient memory, that the file is not set as read-only". Someone help me out plz
    How do you make it automatically disconnect from the HSDPA network once it has finished checking for email?
    What does the "hsdpa enable" tweak in Fit4Cat tweaker actually do? Does it modify the registry?
    Quote Originally Posted by cam05 View Post
    How do you make it automatically disconnect from the HSDPA network once it has finished checking for email?
    There isn't a built in feature for this. Leaving the data session 'open' and ready really doesn't use any more power or activity. It's just ready for data.
    There is a program that will shut down the data connection if it's idle for a while. Check it out here:
    GB-Soft Tweak
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I have read that an active data connection causes the phone to stay in a higher power mode, as it does when you're on a call, rather than dropping down if the tower signal is reasonable.
    That's when data is active. But the data session can be open but inactive as it is a majority of the time. When it's open/inactive is should be dropping down to the tower signal.
    If it were remaining in high powered mode even when idle, you battery wouldn't last more than a few hours. I've seen Treo 650s go for several days with an idle open data session.
    Also Blackberries keep an open data session permanently and last nearly a week because they only use power when they are actually transfering data.
    Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I've never seen any indication that diconnecting the data saves power in the years I've used Treos.

I would think if the opposite were true, Palm would intentionally put options to disconnect you. This would be low hanging fruit as a way to get longer battery life.
    do the 750's still get bluetooth problems after the hack is installed, very reluctant to start tinkering as it's my only business phone.
    I've decided to uninstall the hack being that it no longer works. Tried everything from resetting, to reinstallation to the rain dance. I don't think its that stable as others have been reporting the same things. It was nice to have when it worked but not a must for me since I don't use sling player on it nor do I use it as a modem, just occasionally. I'll wait for the official release to come out, whenever that may be.
    Uninstalled it here as well.
    After a recent soft-reset corrupted things so bad it left my phone inoperable, I did a hard-reset (I blame a 3rd party app for the problem.)
    Since the HPDA hack didn't seem to be giving me faster speeds, I also am going to just not bother installing it this time.
    If only someone could get the ROM from Hong Kong http://www.slashphone.com/71/6773.html the english version that is and yes the phones work in mandrin or english.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I only used it for about 5 minutes with T-Mobile. But it seemed to work and pick up all the settings correctly.

Doesn't tmobile not have 3g yet? I think they might roll out this year or not? Does anyone know?

I use tmobile- and am hoping they will roll out 3g sometimes this year or earlier!

If you didnt have 3g, did you see any improvement? what speeds did you see on the grps settings?

edited: will tmobile 3g require a new sim card?
    I too cannot do DUN (either USB modem link or bluetooth) with the hack enabled, which is a huge disappointment, since I really do not need HSDPA speeds on the phone, but do when using DUN.

Has anyone got DUN and HSDPA working simultaneously? How do you do it? Bluetooth, USB or both?
    Quote Originally Posted by ro-76 View Post
    I too cannot do DUN (either USB modem link or bluetooth) with the hack enabled, which is a huge disappointment, since I really do not need HSDPA speeds on the phone, but do when using DUN.

Has anyone got DUN and HSDPA working simultaneously? How do you do it? Bluetooth, USB or both?
    No problem here using Bluetooth DUN with HSDPA enabled. You don't get HSDPA speeds obviously but it is not necessary in my case to disable HSDPA before using DUN.
    Treo 270, 600, 650, 700p, 750v
    Quote Originally Posted by ro-76 View Post
    I too cannot do DUN (either USB modem link or Bluetooth) with the hack enabled, which is a huge disappointment, since I really do not need HSDPA speeds on the phone, but do when using DUN.

No problem getting connected in HSDPA (via BT or via USB) the problem is to stay connected.

The treo is the worst modem I've ever tried, in HSDPA via USB it hangs after few seconds of download, via BT it hangs after minutes, but via BT you can't get HSDPA speeds beause the bandwidth limitations.

Listen my friend, if your idea is to use the treo mainly as modem, change your mind and buy a cheap alternative (Samsung sgh-z560, Motorola v3xx, Sonyericsson z750, Huawey e220, option 3G+, HTC tytn, etc ) they are all rock solid.

Another alternative is to pray a lot for a decent firmware upgrade from palm.
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    Uninstalled it here as well.
    Ok, this is wierd. I did uninstall this hack but tonight after weeks and weeks of only getting speeds of around 300, I was surfing around and thought this thing is running pretty quick. Sure enough, I went to dslreports and ran the speed test and got a test result twice of 900.