Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDTV View Post
    ...don't mean to be greedy, but saw the RAZR 3xx announce for 3.5G...are the 750 boys/hacks gonna keep up? I hope so!...
    LOL, what good is HSDPA 3.6 going to be on a Razr! It's aout time Moto was ahead of the curve instea of behind!
    Seriously, I don't think Cingular is up to HSDPA 3.6Mbps in most markets yet.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellO View Post
    I have to wait till March for my carrier to enable 3.6Mbit UMTS. Argh!!

How fast is the Treo's HSDPA radio. Does it support speeds up to 3.6Mbit?
    No. The Treo 750v uses the Qualcomm MSM6275 chipset that only does 1.8Mbps HSDPA (see here).

The HTC TyTn/Hermes and HTC Trinity also use the same Qualcomm MSM 6275 chipset, so those devices will also be limited to 1.8Mbps HSDPA.
    It would be nice if we could get speeds even remotely close to that.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    In anoher thread somebody mentioned that they don't get simultaneous voice and data with HSDPA enabled--I can not say either way but was curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Also, after I first installed the hack I noticed good 700k speeds but lately I seem to be in the 250-300 range. Is the consensus here that even if the hack is installed it needs to be reinstalled and the Treo reset to keep getting those HSDPA speeds, or does the speed just vary on its own?

Thanks all
    i downloaded the hack, and i'm consistantly getting high 800's to upper 900's. hightest at 957, many times!!! thanks!
    I have installed the hack and it seems to be stable. One problem. I am not sure what setting should I have under the:

start/settings/phone/services/band selection?

- Should it be on auto? If so it seems like I get no indication if I am on the G,U, or E network.

- GSM - does that force the slower network and save battery?

- UMTS speed test on dslreport is super fast! 535-935k Will the phone revert to a slower network automatically?

PS: I am in Phoenix, AZ where 3G works just fine.

Also, anyone have any problems with not receiving voicemail notifications when using UMTS?
    Last edited by ckole; 02/08/2007 at 01:23 PM.
    My question is the same as the one above.
    Just leave the settings on AUTO.

You can put "GSM only" if you don't need high speed, and don't mind the fact that you won't be ale to do voice/data simultaneously. You will still get your phone calls, so that's not an issue, but your data connection will disconnect when you use the phone. This setting is better for battery.

You can put "UMTS only" if you KNOW you are in a good UMTS area, but I do not recommend it. This is because if you venture into an area with no/low signal, instead of jumping to a good GSM tower you are forcing the phone to try and maintain the spotty 3G signal. Kills battery. But like I said, if you know you are in a good 3G area you can TRY "UMTS only," but keep an eye on your phone (and your battery meter)
    Will the phone go to UMTS when it is on Auto in a UMTS area? Sorry I could wait till next week when I am in a UMTS area and answer this for myself but I'm curious.
    Yes, it will (or should) automatically go to UMTS. Mine will prefer UMTS unless it's down to about 1 bar, then it'll go to GSM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I have the HSDPA hack working. Consistently getting 800-900K on dslreports.com/mspeed.

I also have native Bluetooth DUN working. The best speed I've been able to get from Bluetooth DUN is 250K. See this thread for more info http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=136353

A simultaneous Bluetooth headset conversation will knock my speeds down to 90K... but the fact that I can still keep going is impressive.

Would sure like to see 800+ over Bluetooth though.

Cliff.
    With bluetooth 1.1 or 1.2 about 350k is the maximum possible. To get higher you need bluetooth 2.0 + EDR on both the sender and receiver. Note just bluetooth 2.0 is not enough, you need 2.0 + EDR.

I have a MacBook Pro with bluetooth 2.0 + EDR. I have tried an HTC TyTN which has 2.0 but not EDR. Even then the maximum was around 320k that I saw. There may be handsets with 2.0 + EDR but I'm not aware of any yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsel View Post
    I have the HSDPA hack working. Consistently getting 800-900K on dslreports.com/mspeed.

I also have native Bluetooth DUN working. The best speed I've been able to get from Bluetooth DUN is 250K. See this thread for more info http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=136353

A simultaneous Bluetooth headset conversation will knock my speeds down to 90K... but the fact that I can still keep going is impressive.

Would sure like to see 800+ over Bluetooth though.

Cliff.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    With bluetooth 1.1 or 1.2 about 350k is the maximum possible. To get higher you need bluetooth 2.0 + EDR on both the sender and receiver. Note just bluetooth 2.0 is not enough, you need 2.0 + EDR.

I have a MacBook Pro with bluetooth 2.0 + EDR. I have tried an HTC TyTN which has 2.0 but not EDR. Even then the maximum was around 320k that I saw. There may be handsets with 2.0 + EDR but I'm not aware of any yet.

bcaslis, what modem script do you use for the tytn on the mac? thanks!
    There is a really good application on XDA Developers that lets you control how to turn on GSM, UTMS, etc. It's called Bandswitch. The first post has the updated file. You have to register for that site but it is worth it. The additional posts discuss enhancements to the app etc but the publisher of the application always edits the first post to include the latest version. Highly recommended.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=286844

Be patient with the link. I have found that site to be extremely slow at times.

I have attached the file here for convenience but check that site for updates.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ckole; 02/14/2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Direct link for file and discussion.
    Treo 750 with:
    Wisbar Advance
    SBSH PocketWeather
    Resco Pocket Explorer
    Pocket Informant
    HSDPA Hack
    Logbook Pro APDL

Owned lots of others including Original Palm, IBM Palm, Handspring, Treo 650... on an on...
    Honestly, I don't remember it's been a few months since I had it. I use Ross Barkman's modem script http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/Wind...GSM2006-08.zip with the 750v. It should probably work with the TyTN also.

Quote Originally Posted by dmenahem View Post
    bcaslis, what modem script do you use for the tytn on the mac? thanks!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Is there a map that shows where HSDPA is available?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    So HSDPA is available where ever Cingular has coverage? I inferred from some other posts that some Cingular customers had access and others didn't.
    no, it doesn't work like that. 3G is available where cingular indicates its available. its seperate from voice/gprs/edge coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by 180to650 View Post
    So HSDPA is available where ever Cingular has coverage? I inferred from some other posts that some Cingular customers had access and others didn't.
    It's only available in these places:
    http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.html
    The goal is to have the network 100% 3G eventually. But it's a very long and expensive process because 3G requires installation of entirely new equipment. It's basically a totally new network being installed to co-exist with the existing GSM network. But at least the infrastrucure is still there, so they can tie in the new 3G equipment to the exsting cell sites.

http://www.cingular.com/3g is the main home page for HSDPA info.