Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    I went to the Springfield Mall again today. I had a strong "U" signal. I did a soft reset. I waited a while, and then did a DSL Reports test. I couldn't even hit 300k.

I've had 1 test hit in the 900s. Otherwise, the best I get is in the 400s. I usually only get in the 100s-200s.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    so what does that mean my speeds are over 1mbps? if so... VERY NICE! but im still not sure what my speed is then... id like to know...
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    i asked the same question on another forum and i think i got the answer..... this is what was posted in reply to my question....

"Opera mini does not make direct connections between your cellphone and a webserver. All requests get sent to an Opera proxie. Opera downloads your webpage, compresses and optimizes it, then sends the compressed and optimized page to your cell.

So in essence, dslreports isn't seeing your Treo, rather it is seeing Opera's high speed servers."

it makes sense so... there it is ... im really not over 1mbps ... boooooooo
    That's absoultely correct. Opera Mini uses a "proxy" server that downloads a web page, optomizes the images (reducing them) and does some page rendering, then downloads the optimized content to the handheld browser.
    This is one reason why it's such a great tool for mobile web browsing. So you can not run a speed test using opera mini since it's testing the hard-wired connection to opera, not to your phone.

Also for those of you using Pocket IE to do your tests. You really need to DISABLE THE CINGULAR PROXY to get an accurate reading.
    By default IE is configured to use thier proxy which will have one of two effects:
    1) the proxy optomizes images (which is what the bandwidth test uses) therefore it will skew the results and make slow connections appear faster.
    2) If you're running HSDPA, it COULD also make your connection appear slower if the proxy happens to be overloaded and acts as a bottleneck.

Most likely, however, it will have the effect of making downloads seem faster.

So you MUST disable the proxy setting if you want a true accurate reading.
    Once again: http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks/disableproxy/
    Run the .CAB to disable it. Then make sure you totally shut down IE and re-start it (hold the OK button to bring up the task manager and "Stop" it).
    It's very easy to restore the default setting (back to proxied) if you wish by running installing the other .CAB. You can just keep installing the two cabs back and forth to toggle this setting (but you should re-start IE in between.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    for those who dont want to use the .cab file...........ive attached two registry files:

one, to disable the IE proxy and the other to re-enable it......
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    i have mine disabled.... i did that a few weeks ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by treonu-b View Post
    for those who dont want to use the .cab file...........ive attached two registry files:

one, to disable the IE proxy and the other to re-enable it......
    I looked at your reg files. Not sure why there are so many setting in your reg files. The only change between the off and on is

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "EnableAutoDetect"=dword:00000001

vs

"EnableAutoDetect"=dword:00000000

And all of the other settings in the reg files are the current values on the 750 already.
    Is that all the cab does is change one registry value?

EDIT: Reading the GadgeTech page confirms my finding. It's just the toggling of that one registry value.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I looked at your reg files. Not sure why there are so many setting in your reg files. The only change between the off and on is

"EnableAutoDetect"=dword:00000001

vs

"EnableAutoDetect"=dword:00000000

And all of the other settings in the reg files are the current values on the 750 already.
    Is that all the cab does is change one registry value?

EDIT: Reading the GadgeTech page confirms my finding. It's just the toggling of that one registry value.

I know......i just coopied the entire folder rather than the one string.......def not needed i realize that but just made it real quick......
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kr3st View Post
    cashe is cleared ... not hooked up to laptop... and no wifi card... still getting the same error... its not possible to be getting those errors ... cause I'm pretty sure I'm not over 1mbps well I shouldn't be 3g isn't that fast yet... so what could it be? I'm not mad about it I'd just like to know my speeds... thanks for the replys
    The way Opera caches, you won't get an accurate speed reading with it.

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    I used to have the .reg files on my gadgetech page in addition. But I removed them to make it less confusing (having to explain how to use them with resco registry editor and why.) THe reason I put it in .cab files is for people who don't have or want to install a reg editor.
    All the cab file does is the reg change. It doesn't install anything. I find it just as convenient to have them in 'my document/hacks" folder and just tap on them to run them.

For the heck of it I put the links to the .reg files back on the page.
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/25/2007 at 10:15 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Well after disabling the proxy I got a max speed of 605kbps so the hack must be working. The speed tests are all over the place though from 250-605. Is that normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I used to have the .reg files on my gadgetech page in addition. But I removed them to make it less confusing (having to explain how to use them with resco registry editor and why.) THe reason I put it in .cab files is for people who don't have or want to install a reg editor.
    All the cab file does is the reg change. It doesn't install anything. I find it just as convenient to have them in 'my document/hacks" folder and just tap on them to run them.

For the heck of it I put the links to the .reg files back on the page.
    you dont need a reg editor to use the .reg files just to let you know......just run them with file explorer and the edits are done...........
    Has anybody had problems with phone calls disconnecting on them using the patch? I seem to get that a couple of times a day, usually about a minute into the call on what's normally very good signal area. I just reset my phone today without the HSDPA patch and could talk on the phone for 1/2 hour without disconnecting.
    Forgive me as I'm sure this has been answers more than once in this thread but I've read it from begining to end a few times now and I think I'm just completely confused now.
    I downloaded and installed the .cab file from gadgetech.info directly to my phone saving it to my documents folder and if I read the instructions correctly, which I'm pretty sure that I did, it installs both files automatically placing them in the appropriate folders which I've verified are there. I don't live in a UMTS market but was travelling thru an area yesterday that supported UMTS so I launched dslreports/mspeed.com and ran a 1mb test but received a report back of only 384kb. I couldn't get any better than that.
    Did I miss something in the installation process. I've read hear about having to enable the SetHSDPA.exe file. Do I need to do that with .cab install as well?

Thanks in advance.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Hi,

I installed the hack using the .cab file graciously provided in the first post. It worked like a charm... for about one hour. Now, I cannot connect to the network at all! It just says it is unable to connect for an unknown reason. I then tried uninstalling the .cab file and after the uninstall I STILL cannot connect to the network. Is my only option now to hard reset? (that would suck).

Has anyone else had this problem? Are the only settings for the "My Connection" that my cingular SIM the access point "wap.cingular.com"? Everything else is either automatic or blacnk. Btw, I am running a 750V with Vodaphone ROM.

TIA
    Moppet52
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52 View Post
    Hi,

I installed the hack using the .cab file graciously provided in the first post. It worked like a charm... for about one hour. Now, I cannot connect to the network at all! It just says it is unable to connect for an unknown reason. I then tried uninstalling the .cab file and after the uninstall I STILL cannot connect to the network. Is my only option now to hard reset? (that would suck).

Has anyone else had this problem? Are the only settings for the "My Connection" that my cingular SIM the access point "wap.cingular.com"? Everything else is either automatic or blacnk. Btw, I am running a 750V with Vodaphone ROM.

TIA
    Moppet52
    Do you have a proxy set? Whenever I sync with my work computer I get my work proxy set, which doesn't allow me to get a connection. I have to deselect/delete the proxy setting.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Well after disabling the proxy I got a max speed of 605kbps so the hack must be working. The speed tests are all over the place though from 250-605. Is that normal?
    I find that my data speeds are all over the board as well. Even from the same location. I just have learned to except it. However, I did get consistent speeds on my Blackjack. So who knows. Hopefully I get the same results when Palm/Cingular releases the HSDPA update.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    It's late and I've tried to make sense of as many posts as I could understand but I am in the UK on vodafone, I use my treo 750v as a modem for my ibook (and dell axim sometimes) to send hi res images to clients, I pay for a data bundle so size is relative to my costs time is not but saying that, time is essential so WILL this hack benefit me ? AND once installed will I definately still be able to connect via bluetooth to my Ibook and dell Axim, when HSDPA is not available does the phone still revert back to GPRS?
    ...don't mean to be greedy, but saw the RAZR 3xx announce for 3.5G...are the 750 boys/hacks gonna keep up? I hope so!...
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52 View Post
    Hi,

TIA
    Moppet52
    Try a soft reset, then try and reconnect to the data network. I've been trying to troubleshoot why my 750 would connect initially, but if I disconnected the data connection I couldn't restart the data connection without doing a soft reset or power cycling the phone connection. Not sure if it's related to the hack or not, so hard reset yesterday and starting to add things one by one to see if I can find the culprit before reapplying the hack.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."