1.    #1  
    I'm looking to buy a GPS receiver but I don't know which one to buy. I plan to use it for in car navigation. I saw a bunch of bluetooth receivers on sale on ebay. Is it safe to buy any of those or is there a specific receiver with specific specifications that I need?

thanks
    Do a search hear on GPS and you will see a number of discussions about this. make sure you buy one with SIRF III technology, which is the latest.
  3.    #3  
    Why is SIRF III so important? I read some of the other GPS threads and I don't see any mention of it. I saw that the iblue GPS receiever was recommended and it doesn't have SIRF III.

thanks
    i am also in the market for a gps receiver, i also wonder what the difference is or any recommendations

i heard that u should look for the one with many satellite channels, the most i have seen so far is 20
    Sirf III is a new type of receiver that is not only super sensative but it also finds and locks onto satellites much faster. SirfIII units will hold onto a signal even indoors. Also noted that they are much better in "urban canyons" where signals are almost always lost when in high rise areas.

SirfIII eliminates the 2 minute satellite aquisition time that can be so annoying when you just want to get going.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I use an iTrek M5 and can get a signal lock from within my basement.. I love it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    I use an iTrek M5 and can get a signal lock from within my basement.. I love it!!
    are those only wired gps receivers or bluetooth as well

i have a treo 700p
  8.    #8  
    I went ahead and bought an i-blue 737 from semsons.com. It has 32 channels and the guy there told me it was comparable to SIRF III technology. I also has bluetooth on/off auto capability which should be nice. Just as an added note I bought i-Guidance as my software with the bundle. Supposedly it uses the best maps, which I think are produced by navteq. I was going to go with tomtom but I was told their maps aren't as current.
    The M5 is bluetooth only.. I love it.. Stick in the glovebox and conect when I need to. You can take the included 12v to 5vUSB adapter and wire it in so that it can stay on all the time, it'll go to sleep when not in use and wake when you need it.

http://www.semsons.com/im5blgpsrewa.html

Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    are those only wired gps receivers or bluetooth as well

i have a treo 700p
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I've been wondering...
    Can you make a call on a bluetooth headset while connected to a bluetooth GPS receiver?

700w
    Quote Originally Posted by gibraltar View Post
    I've been wondering...
    Can you make a call on a bluetooth headset while connected to a bluetooth GPS receiver?

700w

I have the OnCourse BT-359 with a Treo 700wx using iGuidance and I can use my Bluetooth headset while using my GPS. Not sure is this is a phone / GPS related feature.
    Same for me. With my 700w, I can use both with no problems especially after doing this tweak.

Fix to Treo lower memory limits
    Quote Originally Posted by heimlich View Post
    I went ahead and bought an i-blue 737 from semsons.com. It has 32 channels and the guy there told me it was comparable to SIRF III technology. I also has bluetooth on/off auto capability which should be nice. Just as an added note I bought i-Guidance as my software with the bundle. Supposedly it uses the best maps, which I think are produced by navteq. I was going to go with tomtom but I was told their maps aren't as current.
    I have heard iGuidance is the best as well. My Nuvi 350 has Navteq v8 maps and they seem to be pretty current.

Iguidance has a special treo version of the software correct?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    I have heard iGuidance is the best as well. My Nuvi 350 has Navteq v8 maps and they seem to be pretty current.

Iguidance has a special treo version of the software correct?
    iGuidance doesn't have a special version for the Treo, but it is square screen compatible and works fine. But, no soft-key support.

I prefer TomTom 6, myself.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    Will this work with the Windows Live search that just came out? Is this M5 and Windows Live Search everything I'll need for GPS? Will it announce turns and everything? I'm a bit confused by all this GPS stuff. I want one for my 700wx, and also my dad will be getting the 750 on Cingular when it comes out.