1.    #1  
    i was using the 411 with on demand, but i'm looking for something free. on demand is to big and i dont like net cf.

i search the site and found this

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=411

but don't think it wotks as good as the DA for the palm os, or the on demand version. maybe there is nothing better, but if you got something, please share.

thanks, cody
    I text Google local, at 46645. I type in the name, city, state, and I it takes less than a minute to get a return text!
    Man that DA app is great it is a shame they don't make that for Winblows.
    They do make it for WIN-DOWS.

Someone EVEN linked to the WM5 version.

Sigh.
    just go with Windows Live search - directory results, maps, the whole thing.

http://wls.livecom - grab it over the air right from your device...
    Yeah, DA on POS was great. There's a version of DA for WM5 now...

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...nce-v1-04.html

I haven't tried it yet (uses .NET CF v2.0 and I've heard bad things about .NET CF v2.0) but I'm thinking about it.

I've been using Mavick's Today screen search hack for some time now. It's super fast since it's on the Today screen...
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/treo-...-commands.html

It works great for looking up an address or phone number for a business. Mavick's default settings give you returns from local.google.com so I can search for "Thai 84101" for a list of Thai restaurants or "Thai Garden 84124" to find a specific business. Google Local doesn't' seem to be good at white pages listings though. Mavick does have codes for white pages reverse lookups but you need either an address or a phone number to start.

For more involved searches, maps and directions I've been using the Windows Live search WM5 app since it came out and it's great. It even seems to find white pages listings. I still use the Today screen more because it's easier, but Windows Live search is great and does much more when you need it.
    Considering DA is just a UI for this site, you could just bookmark it and use it instead of loading another proggy on your device:

http://m.yp.com/

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Considering DA is just a UI for this site, you could just bookmark it and use it instead of loading another proggy on your device:

http://m.yp.com/
    wow, if it's that easy, why hasn't someone on the wm side created a program like the guy did on the pos. that DA for pos was verrry popular. with all the smarties here and over on xda i cant belive we dont have on better than DA for the pos.

anyhow, thanks everyone for your ideas.

cody
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    wow, if it's that easy, why hasn't someone on the wm side created a program like the guy did on the pos. that DA for pos was verrry popular. with all the smarties here and over on xda i cant belive we dont have on better than DA for the pos.

cody
    I guess b/c there's just so many different options out there. The only argument I've heard for a software version is that it could "save" any previous searches.

Blade's program does just that but of course it uses .NET, so someone has to program it in C++ or something. Don't forget, XDA is overwhelmingly non-American (hence the GSM bias) so they probably don't see much use in a program that uses that site

But still...it could be done. Just have to find someone I suppose.

maps4pda has a yellow and white pages lookup as part of it. I quite like it and it is free too.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Google Maps Mobile (with the assistance of a midlet program). In Google Maps, I use the "business locator" feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post

cody

Cody, there IS a DA program... it's been linked to twice in this thread. It's not as quick as the PALM app, but it's the same exact layout.

EDIT: Ok, I am a bit confused, you opened the thread with the thread about this... so you do know that DA is available but you ask why it isn't available here... I must be missing something. We all know it was more effecient for the Palm, so I use StyleTap with the DA.prc file and it's great! Am I missing something with your question? You want DA but not the DA that is out now?
    He wants a native WM5 version of DA that doesn't require .Net.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    He wants a native WM5 version of DA that doesn't require .Net.
    yes, i had on demand with the 700p. when i got my wx i loaded on demand as well. i just recently uninstalled it and the net frame work. i can't belive how much better my wx runs with out net on it. let alone that everything that uses net framework is slow. i have used blades DA program a long time ago on the 6700. blade is a good programer and the app is very close to being great, but the net thing is not working for me.

thanks anyway, cody
    is there another option besides blades? I wan to be able to save to contacts like blades but I've been having probs with his plus I dont like .net
    Quote Originally Posted by biggggant View Post
    is there another option besides blades? I wan to be able to save to contacts like blades but I've been having probs with his plus I dont like .net
    lol, that's the point of this thread!

we're trying to find out.

hey mal read the title the point is just dir asst and blades was given as option i can retype the subj if you like' lol just messing with ya man..I just got rid of blades and decided to get it again but his site is down... Oh well I'll be using a 700p in two days so I guess it doesnt matter
    Quote Originally Posted by biggggant View Post
    hey mal read the title the point is just dir asst and blades was given as option i can retype the subj if you like' lol just messing with ya man..I just got rid of blades and decided to get it again but his site is down... Oh well I'll be using a 700p in two days so I guess it doesnt matter
    Have you tried the site in IE? It wont even try and load in anything else.

Also the Windows LIve search is hte best program for the PPC to date, everyone should try it.
    if you're talking about triangle powers web site. yeah i know the site is down.. but one feature i loved about blade's da was the ability to add something you searched for to your contacts with one click. but the ms live isn't bad i just want to find an app with that feature